U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 02:41 PM

216 posts, read 1,104,618 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

This post is directed at the under twenty set, or anyone who talks with a young person on a regular basis...

My fifteen and ten year old daughters want me to ask about what it's like to be a kid in Lexington. What are the schools like (public and private)? How are newcomers generally treated by other kids and by adults/teachers, especially those newcomers without a southern accent or knowledge of local manners (ie saying "Yes Mam".)? What do kids do on the weekend and after school? What do kids like to do in the Winter (we are from a place that is hot and sunny all year.)?

I know this is a very broad question, and there will be a variety of responses. However, my daughters have never lived in the continental US and are from small and rural island communities. Their childhoods so far have consisted of small private college-prep schools, tennis, surfing, and playing at the beach. (Pretty nice but also pretty sheltered!) I'm sure it will be somwhat of a culture shock to live in a college town in the middle of the US! In any case, both share an innocent excitement at the prospect of having a shopping mall near-by, fall leaves and snow, and more things "to do!"

Thanks a lot for your honest responses. I will share your thoughts with them...as appropriate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 03:06 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,528,592 times
My daughter (6) is really enjoying Lexington! Everyone in our neighborhood has been very sweet to her. Also, she is popular at her school. It has also been very easy to find extracurricular activities for her (gymnastics, dance, Girl Scouts, horse-back riding, music). ** she hasn't started the last two, but we've found plenty of options; the dance is her next door neighbor, but she was invited to a "bring a friend" class.

I wouldn't say that I have noticed really striking "Southern" accents here. Some people have accents more than others, but it isn't really striking. I have had one person say that I have an accent, but I've lived so many places, there's no telling what they are detecting, exactly.

Summer was much more fun for her - outside playing all the time, taking walks, going to parks. Winter is just lazier. I'm sure there is more we could be doing, but no motivation.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:35 PM

820 posts, read 2,641,412 times
Cynthia, I have raised two children here who I think would share some of goldenmom's thoughts. Lexington is small enough that they have had life long friends and that I can go to the grocery or mall and always run into someone we know.

With that said, there's a variety of activities for kids. Most churches here have youth groups that span a range of beliefs and structures. There's a skateboarding park. Some neighborhoods have private pools, but our public pool system in the summer is excellent. There are smaller neighborhood types of pools and there's three larger pools with slides, etc. There's plenty of instruction and opportunity in athletics and other activities with offerings from a recreational level to much more sophisticated abilities of travel and competition teams. Lexington is often a hub for this area for various athletics, so often teams come to "us" allowing kids and teams to have the luxury of competing at home.

We have good shopping available. There's more than enough movie theatres to choose from. There's specialty shops around and downtown that offer unique things like unusual prom dresses, etc. Highschool athletics is a popular Friday night activity for many teens to attend. If they would be interested in taking up horseback riding, there are opportunities for that. Our parks and rec actually puts out a booklet in early spring (maybe even next month) that lists all sorts of lessons and activities from tennis lessons to horseback riding lessons.

My kids have often come home telling me about a new kid at school from various places. I have never heard them say anything that reflected the kids were treated with anything less than warmth. Your 15 year old is obviously at a more difficult age to leave her friends and make an adjustment. I think she'll find many opportunities here to find her niche though.

Good luck and hope you and your daughters find many unexpected blessings in your new home and community!

Old 01-05-2008, 09:08 AM

486 posts, read 1,734,400 times
I'm 17 so I can give more of a teen's perspective in Lexington. Your kids generally will be welcomed here. Lots of people I know love meeting people from other parts of the country. If you don't have a southern accent (which by the way many people in Lexington don't), then it's no problem. Obviously if you have say, a Boston accent or something, then people will notice, but it's not a big deal really. Many teens after school tend to just go to each other's houses and just hang out, it's pretty similar to other cities. Different groups of people do different things though. I know people who go to internet gaming cafes and others who go to the gym to lift weights once last period at school is over. There's not a lot to do in the winter really. Perfect North is a good place for beginner skiers located just west of Cincinnati in Lawrenceburg, Indiana. Paoli Peaks is about 30 minutes outside of Louisville in Paoli, IN. For teens, there's not a huge variety of things to do. We have Fayette Mall, the numerous movie theaters, and there is a tennis club located just off Tates Creek Road. I wish there was a beach nearby as I love surfing myself, but it probably will be different for your kids. The schools on the whole are quite good, some better than others and before a select person decides to beat down every opinion I have if you can get into the Cassidy- Morton- Henry Clay district or schools that feed into Dunbar High School then those would probably be your best public schools. The private schools are good also- I attend a school called Sayre in downtown. It's about 1000 students from k- 12. Hope this helps.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:23 AM

That's a great reminder about the skiing close by t-bird. My son never got into skiing, but my daughter goes every winter. We don't have the slopes of CO here, but it fits the bill from what she tells me. I'm not a skier myself!

I would say that we have many wonderful schools in this town. I know kids at every single high school in the city. My own kids attended and attend Lafayette and I moved 14 1/2 years ago to keep them in the school track I had wanted which included that high school. Personally, I chose it over every other high school in the town based on what's important to me and what I wanted my children to experience. None beat it IMO.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:14 PM

458 posts, read 2,154,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrassgirl View Post
That's a great reminder about the skiing close by t-bird. My son never got into skiing, but my daughter goes every winter. We don't have the slopes of CO here, but it fits the bill from what she tells me. I'm not a skier myself!

I would say that we have many wonderful schools in this town. I know kids at every single high school in the city. My own kids attended and attend Lafayette and I moved 14 1/2 years ago to keep them in the school track I had wanted which included that high school. Personally, I chose it over every other high school in the town based on what's important to me and what I wanted my children to experience. None beat it IMO.
We have met 3 families in Lexington who are also really, really happy with the Lafayette school track. We are seriously looking at buying in that area also because I think we get more for our money there + schools people seem to really like.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:16 PM

Default Thanks again!

Thanks everyone, once again, for your good and reassuring information. I will let the girls read your responses....I am sure they will be happy! I think they will do fine; they are friendly and have good attitudes, just like the people we have met in Lexington so far!

Old 01-09-2008, 09:12 AM

10,226 posts, read 21,708,249 times
I was practically tortured in the Lexington Public School System for 8 yrs (after moving from rural KY). Lexington people are VERY unaccepting of any 'outsiders' .

I had to end up finishing by home schooling because it just wasn't safe for me to go to school

Old 01-09-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I was practically tortured in the Lexington Public School System for 8 yrs (after moving from rural KY). Lexington people are VERY unaccepting of any 'outsiders' .

I had to end up finishing by home schooling because it just wasn't safe for me to go to school
So sorry to hear about your personal experience. That must have been difficult for you.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post

I'm also sorry to hear you had a bad experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area