U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2008, 12:47 PM

2 posts, read 12,379 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am considering relocating to Lexington but am not sure if it has what I am looking for exactly. I grew up in a fairly rural area in Kentucky and have visited Lexington many times however I have never LIVED in Lexington. It is a beautiful city and the people are wonderful however I am curious about what it would be like to live there as a young professional? I am 27, single, with a doctorate and am looking for a good city where I can meet and mingle with other people of the same interests and goals..... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by C6_H0; 01-05-2008 at 02:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 06:05 AM

891 posts, read 2,802,719 times
Here is a link that may provide some info for you:
Home - Lexington Young Professionals Association

Old 01-08-2008, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 6,170 times
Default young living

Lexington is a great place to live for young professionals. A lot of UK graduates stay here because the network of young graduates is so strong. I've lived in Lexington all my life but if I had a doctorate I would definatly check into the lofts downtown. I've looked at a couple and they are awesome it reminds me of something you would see in a movie about a bachelor living in New York or something. They are so new age and hip. Good luck in your search

Old 01-13-2008, 06:51 PM

2 posts, read 12,379 times
Thanks, i really appreciate the response

Old 01-14-2008, 10:08 PM

6,794 posts, read 14,232,683 times
Just my two cents: I love Lexington, but I find it to be much better for married couples who are young or University students. I don't feel like its the most conducive place to meeting young singles for your age. For that matter, there are not many places in KY that are, but if you had to pick, Louisville or the Cincinnati area around NKY would be the best bets if you are out of college. Lexington does have a growing scene for 20 and 30 somethings but it is simply not as advanced as the larger metro areas to the north and west. Almost anywhere you go in Lexington that's young and hip, you will be mixing with college kids because, at this point, it is still strongly a university town.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:54 PM

8 posts, read 27,428 times
I absolutely agree with stx.
I just moved to LEX- i'm 25, single, and did not know a soul when I arrived. I moved from Indianapolis for work. I made friends with another person but that person is new here as well and it is definitely hard to make friends. Everyone either went to UK and has all their friends from there ...or, they are married.....
SO, basically, if i could do it all again, I would have moved to a larger city that was not the big SEC town.

good luck

Old 02-19-2008, 04:36 PM

1 posts, read 6,015 times
Default Lexington - Bad For Young Professionals

The Lexington area is not ideal for young professionals new to the area. It is difficult to succeeed as it seems they are not overly welcoming of people from other areas. I would definatly reccomned Louisville over Lexington or NKY. Both have enough large corporations so that there are professionals of all ages and backgrounds.

Good Luck!

Old 02-19-2008, 07:38 PM

714 posts, read 1,415,591 times
I have to agree that it is difficult to make friends here that some other places that I have lived. BUT....there is a lot to do if you make yourself involved and informed. I have found in my personal experience that Lexington is still a conservative town, so if you like Chamber meetings, fund raisers, Race for the Cure, getting dressed up to watch horses, charity events,football tailgating, etc....then you will proably find it easy to fit in and make new friends because there is plenty to do. If you are more interested in liberial arts and downtown music...you might find it more difficult. Just my opinion. I am a young professional, but I grew up here. There are several young professional groups here.

Go to topsnlex.com you will get a feel for what it's like in Lexington. Click on photos..you can see all of the different events around town and see what it's like...Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or