Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2015, 06:23 AM

4 posts, read 7,968 times

Advertisements

We are a young family looking to relocate to Lexington. Does anyone know how the southeast side is particularly the 40515 area. We were looking at St Elizabeth Ann Seton Catholic Church and school area. How is that area? How are the public schools in that area? We are also looking for a good Cub Scout pack. Any input would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 01:26 PM

969 posts, read 2,812,637 times
The area right around the church and school is a bit hit or miss. While none of it is a scary area, you will drive down a few streets of run down looking starter homes and then come into a nice section. I've shown a lot of houses around Squire Oak and Hunting Hills. My buyers love that area but say they don't like having to drive past those smaller houses that are mostly rental to get there.

Our entire school district is in the process of being rezoned-so things could change. Currently, most of that area is Squire Oak Elementary. People I know with kids there really like it a lot. It has historically tested above average. Some of that area goes to Tates Creek Middle and some is in Hayes Middle. Of those two, Hayes is the winner. All of it in in Henry Clay district. That is one of the better performing high schools.

It's been several years since I had Cub Scout aged kids, but there was a big group that met at Centenary Church on Tates Creek Road. They seemed really active and always had the most kids at the Pine Wood Derby events!

Old 02-19-2015, 05:19 PM

Thanks for the info! How is the Southland neighborhood?

Old 02-19-2015, 11:55 PM

14,703 posts, read 8,026,762 times
I know a nice family that goes to that church.

Southland is nice, a nice older neighborhood but obviously you would closer to Mary Queen than St. Elizabeth Ann Seton.
My guess is the elementary school for that area would be Clays Mill or Picadone...maybe I am not for sure.

Welcome to the Lexington forums!

Old 02-20-2015, 09:08 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,846,190 times
Southland's houses were built in the 1950s and are mostly brick or stone Cape Cods and ranches, with two to four bedrooms, typically a bath and a half, hardwood floors, and woodburning fireplaces (something very desirable, given tomorrow's icy forecast!). Yards are larger than in most newer developments, and most have mature trees. Many houses have separate garages.

As CCL noted, many schools, shopping, and churches are nearby, as are two city parks, one large, one small. The Southland Shopping Center (on Southland Drive) serves this area, which is also convenient to Nicholasville and Harrodsburg Roads. The Beaumont Branch Library is a few minutes' drive away. City buses serve Southland, which is about a fifteen-minute morning commute from UK (longer in the afternoon).

Public schools are Clays Mill Elementary, (whose Clays Mill Road campus is adjacent to Southland Park, the parochial Mary, Queen of the Holy Rosary k-8 school and Mary, Queen Church and across from Lexington Catholic High School), Jessie Clark Middle School, which is located closer to Stonewall than Southland, and Lafayette High School, a few blocks across Southland Drive and Rosemont Garden. The public High School for the Creative and Performing Arts shares a campus with Lafayette. There are several Christian schools nearby as well. Given the abundance of schools, Southland is understandably popular with families.

Southland shares many characteristics with Chevy Chase, but the houses are far less costly, running from around $125,000 - $150,000. You are highly unlikely to find a Chevy Chase house in that range.

There are smaller, less expensive homes along the streets off of Clays Mill Road between Rosemont Garden Drive and Hollyhill Drive - they are a bit older than the house described above, and the demarcation line seems to be Southview Drive to the east. These smaller houses also have hardwood floors and fireplaces, but usually only have two or three bedrooms, are often covered with siding (some are brick), and often lack garages. However, they are also well-kept and make good starter homes.

Almost all Southland houses are well-maintained, and many have enjoyed bathroom and kitchen updates and renovations, along with additions of family rooms in back.

Good luck finding your ideal house!

Old 02-20-2015, 09:37 AM

I will definitely look at Southland, I actually prefer older houses! Does anyone know if the schools are common core? How about the private schools?

Old 02-20-2015, 05:11 PM

969 posts, read 2,812,637 times
Southland is nice. I've probably been in 50 or so houses in the past two years. Prices started going up in early 2013. About the only houses I see for $125k any more are rough or less than 1000 square feet. Nicely updated 1000-1200 square feet ranches go for $145-150k now. I've been a few cape cods that were pretty rough and ended up selling in the low to mid $130's.

It is a nice neighborhood with tall trees and is pretty convenient to 95% of everything you'd use in Lexington. It is a solid buy. About the only way you can go wrong in that neighborhood is to get a bad lot, such as the ones that back to the shopping centers, or the train tracks on Eastway. I personally might stay off of Southview just because it gets the cut through traffic.

If you need something larger, check out Open Gates, which is just south of the Southland neighborhood. That is one of my favorite neighborhoods. The location is just as awesome, the lots are big and you will have an easier time finding a house with a private master bath and an attached garage if those things are important to you.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:35 PM

Only a handfull of states haven't adopted the Common Core Standards. (Alaska, Texas, Virginia and Nebraska).

Status of State Adoption of Common Core Standards - ASCD

Here are a few articles on Kentucky and Common Core that you might find interesting.

Common Core has deficiencies Ky. wants to fix | Op-Ed | Kentucky.com

What Michigan Can Learn from Kentucky

Common Core implementation by state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-21-2015, 10:37 PM

^I am not sure if the Parochial and Private schools in Lexington have to follow Common Core.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:18 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,846,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
^I am not sure if the Parochial and Private schools in Lexington have to follow Common Core.
They do not, and are free to teach pretty much whatever they want. The Catholic schools curriculum are closest to that of the public schools, I believe, with the addition of Catholic religiously oriented classes and POV.

There are also non-religiously oriented private schools in Lexington: several Montessori schools, Sayre, and the Lexington School. While their teaching methods differ (particularly true of the Montessori schools, of course), the content of what is taught is comparable to that of the public schools.

Some private "Christian" schools in Lexington teach creationism and/or creation science: i.e. dinosaurs existed in the Garden of Eden but missed the boat (Noah's) and drowned in the Great Flood, the world was created in six days, and so on.

Pick your schools carefully and make sure they will teach your children appropriately and effectively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area