Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 04:49 PM

7 posts, read 10,871 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am a graduating college in a month and I have been getting interest from a few companies. One of them is a company near Lexington that I am extremely interested in working for. It is actually my top pick out of all potential careers that are available to me. However, location is important and I am looking for some information about the city. I just know that a weekend trip there or even a week trip there probably won't give me enough information so I'm hoping the community here can help me! First off, here is some information about myself:

I have spent almost my whole life living in California and for the past 4 years, Salt Lake City. I am Asian and male and in my 20's. I have no religion. I really like being active, nature, hiking, and outdoors. I am not super outgoing but not a hermit either, as in I enjoy having human interactions on a regular basis and meeting people, but I don't go out of my way to do it like many people in large cities would generally do.

I've done a lot of research on what is in Lexington, the economics of the city, climate, safety, etc. What I am more interested in is what it is like to live there:
-What is the culture?
-How are the people? Friendly, approachable, or usually all part of cliques? This encompasses making friends as well as dating.
-Is it super religious? As much as I loved the outdoors of Utah, the heavy religious influence hanging over the city bothered me a bit. I have nothing against religion, but I don't want people to constantly try to convert me or change the way I think. Also lots of places are closed on Sundays here, which is kind of boring.
-What's the lifestyle?
-How's the global cultural scene? Lots of ethnic foods, events?
-I also hate bringing up ethnicity but sadly not every community views it the same way. Is it considerably more difficult being asian-american in Lexington or is it not a big deal at all? I can definitely say there was a big difference moving from San Francisco to Salt Lake City.
-How is driving there? I really enjoy driving.
-I am still young and don't have a family yet, but thinking about the future, is it a good family city?
-How is the nature scene there? Lots of beautiful hiking trails? National parks? State parks?
-How is the airport? I enjoy traveling, so is the airport one that has direct flights to most cities in a reasonable radius or does it require tons of transfers to get anywhere?
-I also really enjoy practicing yoga (particularly of the hot variety), are there lots of good studios there?
-How is the weekend/night life?

Also, with everything I have said, I am pretty easy going and not hard to please. I don't absolutely require the perfect living conditions that check off every box. As much as I absolutely love California, I also really love Salt Lake City for completely different reasons. I just want to get a general sense for Lexington and judge based off that.

Thanks for the help everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 08:01 PM

125 posts, read 260,058 times
Just curious, are you male or female?

Old 03-19-2015, 10:28 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,881,037 times
I think he is an Asian Male in his 20's......but I could be wrong, just a feeling I got when I read his post.

Old 03-20-2015, 12:03 AM

14,772 posts, read 8,103,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kh0209 View Post
Hello, I am a graduating college in a month and I have been getting interest from a few companies. One of them is a company near Lexington that I am extremely interested in working for. It is actually my top pick out of all potential careers that are available to me. However, location is important and I am looking for some information about the city. I just know that a weekend trip there or even a week trip there probably won't give me enough information so I'm hoping the community here can help me! First off, here is some information about myself:

I have spent almost my whole life living in California and for the past 4 years, Salt Lake City. I am Asian and male and in my 20's. I have no religion. I really like being active, nature, hiking, and outdoors. I am not super outgoing but not a hermit either, as in I enjoy having human interactions on a regular basis and meeting people, but I don't go out of my way to do it like many people in large cities would generally do.

I've done a lot of research on what is in Lexington, the economics of the city, climate, safety, etc. What I am more interested in is what it is like to live there:
-What is the culture?
-How are the people? Friendly, approachable, or usually all part of cliques? This encompasses making friends as well as dating.
-Is it super religious? As much as I loved the outdoors of Utah, the heavy religious influence hanging over the city bothered me a bit. I have nothing against religion, but I don't want people to constantly try to convert me or change the way I think. Also lots of places are closed on Sundays here, which is kind of boring.
-What's the lifestyle?
-I also hate bringing up ethnicity but sadly not every community views it the same way. Is it considerably more difficult being asian-american in Lexington or is it not a big deal at all? I can definitely say there was a big difference moving from San Francisco to Salt Lake City.
-I am still young and don't have a family yet, but thinking about the future, is it a good family city?
-How is the nature scene there? Lots of beautiful hiking trails? National parks? State parks?
-How is the airport? I enjoy traveling, so is the airport one that has direct flights to most cities in a reasonable radius or does it require tons of transfers to get anywhere?
-I also really enjoy practicing yoga (particularly of the hot variety), are there lots of good studios there?

Also, with everything I have said, I am pretty easy going and not hard to please. I don't absolutely require the perfect living conditions that check off every box. As much as I absolutely love California, I also really love Salt Lake City for completely different reasons. I just want to get a general sense for Lexington and judge based off that.

Thanks for the help everyone!
Lexington has the feel of a thriving city at times, and has the feel of a big town at times. Southern Culture...but we border just south of the mid-west, so there is a little bit of that too! It can vary a bit, depending on what neighborhood you live in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOiv...eature=related

The people are usually friendly and usually very polite (Southern Culture coming through there). I haven't noticed the "clique" thing, but maybe that is because I am older.

Quote:
Well, we are on the edge of the Bible belt here, so you have a lot of people who do attend Church...you shouldn't find quite the level of people trying to convert you though, that you did out west in Utah. (and as long as you don't openly attack other peoples religious beliefs you will probably be okay..I know several self professed Atheists, and they do not seem to lack in friends.

Most things are open in Lexington on Sunday (a few businesses no, but for the most part life goes on as usual.) A lot of stores are open 24/7 and a few only close one day a year - on Christmas day.

Quote:
How's the global cultural scene? Lots of ethnic foods, events?
We are not as large as many of the Largest US Cities, but we don't have a lot of people from other Countries and Cultures (Maybe it's the college's influence, I am not sure) but you run into a lot of people from other states and countries.

We have 105 listed Chinese/Asian Restaurants.

Best Lexington Chinese Restaurants

153 Mexican Resaurants

Best Lexington Mexican Restaurants

105 Southern/Soul food Restaurants.

Best Lexington Southern & Soul Restaurants

11 Indian Food Restaurants
Best Lexington Indian Restaurants

28 Japanese
Best Lexington Japanese Restaurants

7 Vietnamese
Best Lexington Vietnamese Restaurants

5 Korean
Best Lexington Korean Restaurants
6 Middle Eastern
Best Lexington Middle Eastern Restaurants
7 Cajun

Best Lexington Cajun & Creole Restaurants

168 that list themself as Vegan friendly.
Best Lexington Vegan Friendly Restaurants

4 Carribean
Best Lexington Caribbean Restaurants

4 Cuban
Best Lexington Cuban Restaurants

14 French
Best Lexington French Restaurants

8 European
Best Lexington European Restaurants

2 German
Best Lexington German Restaurants

54 Italian
Best Lexington Italian Restaurants

12 Mediterranean
Best Lexington Mediterranean Restaurants

1 African
Best Lexington African Restaurants

1 Armenian
Best Lexington Armenian Restaurants

Old 03-20-2015, 12:31 AM

14,772 posts, read 8,103,690 times
We are listed as one of the best 100 cities (we came in at number 6) to raise a family in America.

The 100 best places to raise kids - Parenting & Family - TODAY.com

Also one of the top ten cities in America with the Highest quality of Life. (number 6)

The 10 Cities With The Highest Quality Of Life

We were listed as one of the Cleanest cities (tied at number 10) in the world ( that is world, not just the USA)
In Pictures: The World's Cleanest Cities - Forbes

We were listed by Popular Mechanics as one of the top 25 Greenest Cities in America. (Number 25)
In Pictures: The World's Cleanest Cities - Forbes

We were listed as one of the Most Literate US Cities (Number 25)
25 Most Literate U.S. Cities For 2012

We were listed as one of the top 25 most educated cities in America
http://www.menshealth.com/best-life/educated-cities

Kentucky has been called the "Real America"....and it is true.
Kentucky is the real America and offers more than just amazing horses and wonderful whiskey - Mirror Online

Lots of outdoor stuff...hiking, parks, forests....
Kentucky is noted for it's outdoor forests, parks, hiking, rock climbing...in some of the lushest, most beautiful scenery imaginable.

In Lexington you would want to visit the Arboretum
The Gardens of The Arboretum, State Botanical Garden of Kentucky

Ravens Run
Raven Run Nature Sanctuary (Lexington, KY): Address, Phone Number, Reviews - TripAdvisor

Jacobson Park
Jacobson Park - Lexington - Reviews of Jacobson Park - TripAdvisor

...McConnell Springs, Shillito Park, and many others await.

Not too far from Lexington you find the Red River Gorge, Daniel Boone National Forest, Cumberland Gap, Cumberland Falls, and many other great places like Monmouth cave, Land Between the Lakes, etc. Nearby Louisville and Cincinnati offer Ethic festivals (or at least they use to, not sure if they still do.)

Old 03-20-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail-to-Rail View Post
Just curious, are you male or female?
I am male. Does my gender have a significant impact on life in Lexington?

And thanks for the awesome detailed response Crazee Cat Lady!

Old 03-21-2015, 08:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,296 times
The Red River Gorge is nearby and is the best place to hike ever and you can rock climb or boulder as well!

Old 03-29-2015, 01:30 PM

9 posts, read 14,624 times
kh, hi there...

I think its a city where a lot of people would feel very comfortable in....yes, its Kentucky, but its a world away from most all of the other towns in the state, because of the universities and colleges, and the diverse student body. I was there for a year and saw so many different ethnic groups, in the mall, in restaurants, on the street, at parks...it was great. No one is going to look at you differently because you're Asian, if that makes it clearer....many, many groups of folks there from all over the country, and from overseas, for that matter...I'll never forget the group of very TALL students (on basketball scholarships, I asked them) from China I saw shopping in Macys...one was kind enough to reach up and pull down a comforter set I wanted that was on a mile high shelf. You'll be just fine.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:07 PM

27 posts, read 64,400 times
Hi! I grew up in Lexington and spent some adult years there as well. I now live in Los Angeles and consider Utah my favorite state after California. I'm into the outdoors and not religious, so maybe I can help answer some of your questions.

-What is the culture?

Central Kentucky is South meets the Mid-West. I used to live in GA and SC and it does not have the culture of the deep south. At the same time, people are noticeably different once you cross into Ohio. People are friendly for the most part. I would consider Lexington progressive for where it is. It is a bastion of conservatism compared to San Francisco, but probably not any more conservative than SLC.

People are friendly, approachable and cliquish. Most people here are from here or they came here to go to school and tend to stick with the friends they made from those places. Interestingly, dating is easier and a great way to get to know people. That said, MeetUp wasn't a thing when I last lived there and I think getting involved with that could help a lot.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by influence. Church is a big thing here, but you can find plenty of friends who aren't into that. Churches do have a LOT of influence politically, socially, etc…

-What's the lifestyle?

I always felt like Lexington was a great place to be a kid and is a great place to raise kids, but not really great for people ages 15 and up who don't have families. That may be changing, but most things are geared toward that. Also, something I never really noticed when I lived there, but definitely do now, is that most social events revolve around eating and going to bars. In CA, I meet up with friends to hike, go to museums, etc… But, in Lex, drinking is a big thing. Obviously, this is slightly better in the summer. But, mostly, that just moves the drinking to the nearest patio.

I don't know much about this. I do know there is an African Roots Festival in downtown every year.

I have a friend who also lived in Lexington and now lives in CA. He was one of maybe five asian kids in my high school and makes fun of the lack of asians there. But, this is something that is changing all the time and even he hasn't lived there for more than ten years. I don't think you would ever be made to feel unwelcome anywhere because you were Asian. Again, big difference from SF, but probably not too much different from SLC.

It is pretty easy to get out of the city to some gorgeous country roads to drive on. Traffic is not really an issue.

It is a great family city. There are more parks and green space in the city limits than anywhere I have seen and the public schools are great. Lots of family activities going on all the time.

It is not like SF or SLC. Nature is not right out your door. I definitely didn't like that I couldn't just be somewhere hiking in 15 minutes. That said, Raven Run is a nature preserve about 30 minutes outside the city where you can go hiking and Red River Gorge is about 2-3 hours away, one of the best climbing/nature areas in the country. Lexington is a beautiful town, but you have been spoiled! SF and SLC are two of the most beautiful cities in this country IMO. Lexington does not even compare. But, it's a lot greener and more lush than cities.

It's not a major hub, so it just depends on where you want to go. A lot of flights will connect through somewhere, but there are direct flights to a few major places.

-I don't know anything about this! Google is your friend.

This changes a lot, so not really sure. Most of the action seems to be downtown and the scene is way better than it used to be.

Your love for California and Utah makes me wonder whether you would like it because they are so different from Kentucky. But, the job is a big thing. If you are that interested in the position, then why not come check it out for 2-3 years? If you hate it, you can always transfer to another job/city! May as well see a different part of the country. If you can learn to love UK basketball and horse racing, you will fit right in.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkinteh View Post
Your love for California and Utah makes me wonder whether you would like it because they are so different from Kentucky. But, the job is a big thing. If you are that interested in the position, then why not come check it out for 2-3 years? If you hate it, you can always transfer to another job/city! May as well see a different part of the country. If you can learn to love UK basketball and horse racing, you will fit right in.
Wow you have been all over the place, I'm so jealous. Thanks for your great responses by the way!

So the company I'm interested in is actually in Harrodsburg, but I'm pretty sure I would not like living there. Lexington seems like it's at a feasible distance away to live (unless there are traffic issues I'm unaware of).

Yea it is a tough decision because my options are:

-Stay with my current company in Salt Lake City after graduation, which I am apathetic towards. I neither like it nor hate it, but I love this state. I just went to Capitol Reef National Park this weekend and it was gorgeous!

-Move back to the Bay Area and work for a startup company that wants me. The work there seems like it'll be really fun, but a startup doesn't offer nearly as much benefits or pay as a normal company, and you know the living expense situation in California.

-If I get this Kentucky job, move to a place that I'm unsure about, but work the job that I currently want the most.

Honestly if I get the job, I am probably 99% going to move to Kentucky no matter what because career is more important at this point to me. I just like doing my research beforehand to make sure nothing surprises me I feel I am very adaptable to any situation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area