U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 07:24 AM

2 posts, read 4,549 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all your help guys. I'm sure as I actually and physically find myself in Lex I'll have some more specific questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 07:29 PM

21 posts, read 59,327 times
I would recommend living near Hamburg... the commute is a little longer than the west side of town (leestown road) but your options there are better. There is much more to do, dinner, shopping, entertainment, bars, etc.

Lexington is cheap to live, you will like it here if you like peace and quiet. When I first moved here though the newspaper said it was one of the toughest places to make friends if your an outsider... I am an outsider and the only friends I have made are other outsiders.

But you have a few good shopping options, nice places to go antuiqing, inexpensive housing.

As far as traffic, don't let these people scare you. its not bad unless you decide to live in more than 1 mile from the interstate at hamburg until you reach the airport on New Circle road or Man of war. Then the traffic is only bad during rush hours. The red lights though, are discustingly laid out.. I was in a 3 lane turnonly lane today turning left and only 3 cars in each lane can make it through safely. I was the 3rd car and it turned yellow as I was about 10' into the lane. I feel that these are what create the bad traffic.

I would recommend an apt. for a year to learn where you really want to live, plus you are more likely to meet people vs. living in a bedroom community.

Good luck, it has been really good for my wife and I. both of our careers have done well.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:27 PM

10,226 posts, read 21,705,616 times
Here is a video I made of traffic on Nicholasville Road. The total time to drive from Man 'O War Blvd to Main Street ( a ~5 miles stretch) was 25 minutes at 2 pm in the afternoon!

YouTube - Lexington Highway Tour: Nicholasville Road

Old 01-24-2008, 01:48 PM

486 posts, read 1,734,317 times
Nice footage. Finally we have video proof of how Nicholasville Road can get (and this is 2 PM)! I rest my case.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:10 PM

528 posts, read 2,276,023 times
that's what you call traffic? LOL.....

so, how long do you think it should take you to go 5 miles through a city, with lots of stop lights? I think that's pretty good !

Last edited by Toria; 01-24-2008 at 03:37 PM..

Old 01-24-2008, 03:36 PM

218 posts, read 564,877 times
It takes me 10 min. to go half that far on Richmond Rd.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:31 PM

21 posts, read 59,327 times
Well, those roads do suck at certain times, but you have never lived in Dallas or Denver where taking the side streets with the lights is faster than taking the freeway where you literally don't have to hit the gas... and every other person is reading the newspaper.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:44 PM

10,226 posts, read 21,705,616 times
A lot of Lexington's traffic is just the mathematical fact that freeways can move 10X more cars with the same amount of lanes as a regular highway.

Just look at New Circle Rd - even in rush hour you can move 4 miles from Nicholasville Rd to Richmond Rd in 5 minutes on the freeway section, while the 4 mile section from Richmond Rd to Winchester Rd, which is littered w/ traffic signals, often takes 15-20 minutes in rush hour

Old 01-25-2008, 07:14 AM

486 posts, read 1,734,317 times
I agree- I guess what I was trying to say was that even at 2 PM there was still a considerable amount of traffic going south on US 27.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:19 PM

603 posts, read 2,148,129 times
While watching the footage on Nicholasville Road, I was thinking "he's actually doing pretty well"; however, at 5pm, it has taken me 25 minutes to get from Fayette Mall to New Circle Road. I quit going to a gym on Nicholasville Rd because of the traffic at rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area