U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 03:05 PM

2 posts, read 4,547 times

Advertisements

In the next week or so I begin a job in Georgetown, but I would like to live close to/in downtown Lexington. This Vermonter has a couple of questions -- help is appreciated!

1. How bad is the morning/evening commute? Google estimates from 20 to 30 minutes. Accurate?

2. Any suggestions on apartment options? Could afford up to 1000, incl. utilities.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 03:10 PM

10,226 posts, read 21,698,460 times
1. Lexington traffic is AWFUL - I would rather drive in NYC is rush hour than Lexington. That said, you would be going against the incoming traffic flows, so it might not be as bad. Northside traffic isn't as bad in general.

2. There isn't one large historic area near downtown but there are several nice smaller ones. Madison Pl/ Merino Ave on the West, Bell Court to the East, Maxwell St to the South, and 3rd Street to the North.

Last edited by censusdata; 01-16-2008 at 03:25 PM..

Old 01-16-2008, 03:21 PM

891 posts, read 2,802,586 times
Traffic won't be an issue for you since you'll be heading in the opposite direction of most commuters. The time you mentioned should be fairly accurate.
There are lots of cool spaces downtown. The only problem is most of them are rented individually so there isn't one source (that I'm aware of) for them. You should be able to get a nice place with your budget.
Check out CoolSpaces.com - Loft living in Lexington and Louisville Kentucky. These are for sale but the developer may know of owners wanting to rent their space. Most of the new loft developments are for sale but many of them have been sold to people with the intention to rent them out.
Good luck!

Old 01-16-2008, 04:39 PM

486 posts, read 1,733,968 times
This basically will be a repetitive reply, but if you're taking a job in Georgetown and are planning on living in or around downtown Lexington. That said, I would still rather drive in Lexington than New York City, but traffic here is absolutely horrendous for a city of its size (Nicholasville Road, Tates Creek Road, and Harrodsburg Road in particular are bad). You did luck out in that you will be driving against the flow of traffic so I would expect your commute to be anywhere from 20- 45 minutes depending on where in Lexington you're going to live and where in Georgetown your job is.

There are nice places around downtown that would fit your budget. There are many historic apts. around Bell Court, Ashland Park area, and Maxwell Street. I think there are many options out there. Good luck!

Old 01-16-2008, 06:08 PM

688 posts, read 2,809,136 times
The traffic won't be that bad if you can get to Newtown Pike easily, and if you're not going too far from the interstate in Georgetown. It depends a lot on where you'll live/work, but I think that 30 minutes would be a fair estimate.

What kinds of things are you looking for in an apartment/neighborhood?

Old 01-16-2008, 06:10 PM

820 posts, read 2,640,998 times
There are several modern apt complexes downtown that your budget should allow you access to. I can't think of the name of any of them. From downtown, headed to Georgetown - you'll be going the opposite way from most of the traffic. You shouldn't have any trouble getting to Georgetown in 30 minutes from downtown. Shoot straight up Broadway to 4th and over to Georgetown Rd and straight in Georgetown.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:53 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,171,121 times
Yeah, Lexington has some of the worst traffic. Its basically because the road infrastructure sucks & cant handle the amount of cars. Plus there is no freeway running through the city like most other places have & no mass transit system to even speak of, so EVERYONE drives. And Lexington LOVES to plop everything in the same general areas of town & disregard other areas.

Basically, Lex is becoming one big corporate strip mall. Nicholasville Rd & Hamburg Pavilion have become total nightmares. I used to live in Hamburg (Todds Rd) a couple years ago, but you couldnt pay me to live there now.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:21 PM

10,226 posts, read 21,698,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
Yeah, Lexington has some of the worst traffic. Its basically because the road infrastructure sucks & cant handle the amount of cars. Plus there is no freeway running through the city like most other places have & no mass transit system to even speak of, so EVERYONE drives. And Lexington LOVES to plop everything in the same general areas of town & disregard other areas.

Basically, Lex is becoming one big corporate strip mall. Nicholasville Rd & Hamburg Pavilion have become total nightmares. I used to live in Hamburg (Todds Rd) a couple years ago, but you couldnt pay me to live there now.
Yes, but there are still some nice historic areas near downtown, and a lot of new urban type developments around South Broadway (the old tobacco warehouse district) There are no large areas of pedestrian friendly shopping areas like Louisville has, though.

You defiantly get more for money with an apartment in an older house than you do at a suburban style one.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:38 PM

5 posts, read 9,545 times
Georgetown changed from a gracious college town to an active, attractive indrustrial city about 15 years ago when Toyota moved in. It's about a 25 min drive from Lex. Housing still has some challenges to meet the growth. Many people make the commute from Lex without a flinch. Plus, there are 2 commute choices, I75 and 25N.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:37 PM

714 posts, read 1,415,393 times
I love Lexington! I also live in Hamburg and absolutely love it! It is a 20 min or less drive to Georgetown and has lots and lots of options for shopping, eating, etc. It's great too because you have access to both interstates 64 and 75 in a matter of 5 minutes, or less! Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area