Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 03:43 AM

2 posts, read 4,158 times

Advertisements

Hi there! My family and I just moved to Lexington and were wondering about the weather. We came from Oklahoma where unfortunately we didn't have a basement and usually if severe weather threatened our area we'd head to the local underground parking garage to stake out from anything severe (yes we are very paranoid when it comes to weather haha). We're in an extended stay right now until we find a suitable house and was wondering if there's anywhere around the Lexington area with underground parking or a public basement? Does the weather get as bad as Oklahoma or is it a bit more tame?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 12:35 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times
^The weather shouldn't get all that bad. Most of the tornado's are prone to hit more toward the Western side of the state...although they have and do hit here, it is pretty rare...esp. in comparison to some where like Oklahoma. We usually do get a lot of rain, especially in the Spring though.

Welcome to Lexington~let us know if we can help in any way.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:45 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Ice storms can be a problem. When I lived in Lexington, my power was out for two and a half weeks due to a terrible ice storm. Some lost power for over a month. Other than that, it isn't bad.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:52 AM

17,343 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Ice storms can be a problem. When I lived in Lexington, my power was out for two and a half weeks due to a terrible ice storm. Some lost power for over a month. Other than that, it isn't bad.
That's one reason I want to install a wood burning stove if I buy a house without one. At least I'll stay warm in just such an event.

Old 04-07-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I remember that ice storm. It was horrible. Looked like a war zone in the end.
We only lost electricity for a few hours....the people across the street from us lost it for two weeks!!!!
(I have since learned that we are on the same electric grid that a nearby shopping center is, yet they are on another one across the street...I am wondering if we didn't get ours back on so fast because of that....I don't know.)

But, generally they are not quite that bad for that long...that storm was historic in scope.
But still an facing an ice storm is more statistically probable than a tornado, in Lexington.

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 04-07-2018 at 08:52 AM..

Old 04-07-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
That's one reason I want to install a wood burning stove if I buy a house without one. At least I'll stay warm in just such an event.
Not a bad idea at all....couldn't hurt!
We lost electricity when we lived in Louisville once, we had two wood burning fireplaces, so we huddled around them with blankets....luckily it only lasted a few hours though until the electricity came back on.
After the last big Ice storm, a lot of people went out and purchased generators for their homes...in case it happened again.

It never hurts to be prepared or to be as self reliant as possible.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I remember that ice storm. It was horrible. Looked like a war zone in the end.
We only lost electricity for a few hours....the people across the street from us lost it for two weeks!!!!
(I have since learned that we are on the same electric grid that a nearby shopping center is, yet they are on another one across the street...I am wondering if we didn't get ours back on so fast because of that....I don't know.)

But, generally they are not quite that bad for that long...that storm was historic in scope.
But still an facing an ice storm is more statistically probable than a tornado, in Lexington.
It was bad. I want to say it was Winter of 2008? I lived off of Richmond Road near the Henry Clay Estate, and remember all the broken trees, and downed power lines. It was a mess, yes a war zone like you say. Ugh.

Old 04-08-2018, 11:33 AM

I had to look it up, because I could remember exactly (although I remember it quite well...was fuzzy on the date) and believe it or not it was 15 years ago!

15 years later: Remembering the Bluegrass ice storm

^They say it was the worst national disaster in the history of Lexington.
(But like they said what an eye opener on what can happen...so it makes you better prepared).

For the ones considering a move here:
A checklist of how to be prepared in case it happens again. Marino was right on target with this!
http://bereadylexington.com/ice-storm/

https://www.weather.gov/lmk/top10winter
^There was a bad ice storm in 1951 too....looking at that I would have to say we do get some
pretty weird weather from time to time~and beware of March in Kentucky!

The area off Richmond Road near the Henry Clay Estate is a really nice area. (I have a cousin who lives out that way). In our area, it did a lot of damage to some of the trees...and it was evident for a years after.

Old 04-08-2018, 02:47 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times
Truly severe weather is pretty rare in Kentucky, especially compared to Oklahoma. Torrential rain is common, but even then it mostly presents as monsoon-like downpours rather than the extreme winds and frequent lightning you often see on the plains. If you can handle Oklahoma, Kentucky weather won't even faze you.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:58 AM

OK, looked it up. The one I was thinking of was in February 2009.

Quote:
Almost half a million homes and businesses are still without power after last week's ice storm that has left 55 people dead.

The hardest hit state was Kentucky, where CBS News correspondent Hari Sreenivasan reports every National Guard member in the state has been called into service - 4,600 strong. They are checking on rural residents door by door.
It's the worst natural disaster in the state's history.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kentuck...dly-ice-storm/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area