U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 06:50 PM

458 posts, read 2,154,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrassgirl View Post
Absolutely no disadvantage to living outside Man O'War vs inside Man O'War. I live in the Boston Rd area and lived on the outside for many years (in the 40514). The homes are very similar to the other side of the rd (in the 40503) to where I live now. I simply made the move across Man O'War because my kids were in Stonewall and the area was being redistricted to Picadome. I had nothing against Picadome - it just wasn't "our" school where my kids knew folks and I knew folks, etc. Plus, I needed to move to a larger house anyway, so headed on across the road.

I think you're wise to consider many options. If Clays Mill is an option for you, I think there's some beautiful and well kept older homes off of Clays Mill Rd near the school. Some with quite a bit of charm and character.

I believe Middle Schools are the most lacking of all of the levels of schools in Fayette County. There a tremendous number of wonderful elementary schools. I also feel that each high school has some unique and distinct to offer. Middle school is a time of flux in general for youth - and more difficult to have in the structured environment of school - if that makes any sense. Out of the three levels my kids attended, Jessie Clark was my least favorite. With that said, I'm not sure there's one I would have liked better. Lafayette gets kids from Jessie Clark, Beaumont, and Morton - as well as magnet middles of course.
Thanks for sharing your experience--it's so helpful!

I imagine we're pretty close neighbors!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 07:27 PM

218 posts, read 564,823 times
My take on the advantages of living closer in to downtown is, the closer in-the better the walk ability.
You can walk to more places when you are near the old style suburbs. there are small shopping centers and corner stores. As one moves farther out, the neighborhoods become more auto-centric, the shopping centers become larger and you have to drive to get there. Then you get to Man o' War(it's spelled with a small o--Sorry, this a pet peeve of mine) and everything is "you have to drive to get anywhere", walking around the block is a two mile trek, all the streets are cul-de-sacs. I hate that.

Now, what do you call a dis-advantage?

Old 01-25-2008, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartomanlex View Post
My take on the advantages of living closer in to downtown is, the closer in-the better the walk ability.
You can walk to more places when you are near the old style suburbs. there are small shopping centers and corner stores. As one moves farther out, the neighborhoods become more auto-centric, the shopping centers become larger and you have to drive to get there. Then you get to Man o' War(it's spelled with a small o--Sorry, this a pet peeve of mine) and everything is "you have to drive to get anywhere", walking around the block is a two mile trek, all the streets are cul-de-sacs. I hate that.

Now, what do you call a dis-advantage?
Thanks for correcting me on Man o' War. I know that it literally means "of" but I am used to Irish last names--O'Donohue, O'Leary, etc., and was led astray. I hate to misspell names.

I have always wished to live in a more walkable part of any city, but unfortunately that seems more difficult with a family. As a college student I walked from one end of Manhattan to the other, but my rent was a fortune. As a married mom with kids, a modest budget and a desire for good schools, I think I'm priced out of the really cool downtown Lexington areas.

Our life is definitely auto-centric, and that is a shame.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:15 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,527,812 times
Default 40503

Wow, I just search the 40503 zip code after reading bluegrassgirl's post and hit the jackpot. Wow. There is a 1926 house in Glendover (Cassidy et al.) - hard to tell about that one, but interesting. Then Rabbit Run for $199K? And Stonewall Estates.

Forgive my focus on zip codes - it just is the easiest way for me to do searches.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:55 AM

891 posts, read 2,802,719 times
Glendover is a great neighborhood. Lots of families. Generally a lot of house for the money.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom7500 View Post
Wow, I just search the 40503 zip code after reading bluegrassgirl's post and hit the jackpot. Wow. There is a 1926 house in Glendover (Cassidy et al.) - hard to tell about that one, but interesting. Then Rabbit Run for $199K? And Stonewall Estates.

Forgive my focus on zip codes - it just is the easiest way for me to do searches.
You must be searching 3 BR? There are always fewer things when searching for 4 BR.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:15 PM

46 posts, read 238,068 times
That must be within one block of Nicholasville Rd near the hospital to be that old

Old 01-25-2008, 03:58 PM

I didn't enter a number of bedrooms; I tend to search on remax which is not giving me bedroom #s, just bathroom #s, but the text on the Glendover house said 6 bedrooms - yes, on Waller near the hospital - not sure what is going on with that one. I would have loved to find something in Glendover - ideal.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:26 PM

688 posts, read 2,809,265 times
Waller Ave is actually not part of the Glendover neighborhood (I'm fairly certain), but it could still be in Glendover Elementary's district. Maybe they mislabeled the neighborhood info.

My guess, given the location and large number of bedrooms, would be that the house serves as rental property for UK students.

There are some more affordable houses that have the Glendover/Morton/Lafayette or Henry Clay districts - they're mostly off of Nicholasville Rd. Some of the neighborhoods are nice, but there are parts that get dicey. And, of course, you have the closer proximity of campus and the extra congestion it brings.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:42 PM

Yes, I looked it up again and it's currently zoned as rental but could be converted to sfh ... but just was flagging it, assume Micah Girl wouldn't want the complications. Right ... it is Glendover Elementary and the subdivision is noted as UK Campus.

I would also definitely look at the 2 in Rabbit Run. One is 199K, the other is 204K. When I was looking, I was told that was a very prestigious neighborhood (and I drive through there a lot, very pretty).

My searching with zip codes is not bringing up more Glendover E. homes; I guess this is why I'm not a realtor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area