U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 03:53 PM

5 posts, read 8,883 times

Advertisements

heres the links to the house i was looking at:
Single Family Home - 1009 Ruble Rd, Lawrenceburg, KY, 40342 - Realtor.com

I think its livable. I do enjoy a fixer upper, as long as the foundation, electric and stuff I dont know how to fix are good. Im all for building up my own little homestead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 06:16 PM

688 posts, read 2,809,931 times
Is it an older house? Is it properly insulated? The reason I ask is that we lived in a old house that was NOT properly insulated and with the hike in gas prices, we had a monthly gas bill of $800!!! It was a larger home, but things like that can make a difference. You can usually call the utility company and get an estimate of previous charges for that address.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:20 PM

688 posts, read 2,809,931 times
Ok, nevermind. I looked it up and it has a space heater and propane fuel.

There are more pictures listed here:
MLS

Old 01-28-2008, 06:29 PM

wow well ive already decided that i can live without heat or air conditioning. I cant believe i can get a house with 5 acres 4 bedrooms and 2 baths for 70k

Old 01-28-2008, 06:32 PM

820 posts, read 2,642,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saishikou View Post
wow well ive already decided that i can live without heat or air conditioning. I cant believe i can get a house with 5 acres 4 bedrooms and 2 baths for 70k
Well, yes, you can live without air conditioning. You might not be the most comfortable, but you can survive. Now, in KY without heat? Are you aware that on occasion it might be 0 degrees and is regularly below freezing? You have to have a heat source - not just for yourself, but for your pipes!

Old 01-28-2008, 07:00 PM

i had thought it didnt get below freezing that often. I live in northern il now so im used to cold. I want to move to escape the long below freezing winters. I would keep the house at 50 degrees during the cold months, that probably wouldnt cost too much

Old 01-28-2008, 09:10 PM

15,587 posts, read 23,856,256 times
I dont see why not. I have lived in Chicago making that much.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:34 PM

732 posts, read 3,881,660 times
You could rent a room in a nice house for $450 Utilities and Cable included.

utilities and cable can save you $250 a month

Old 01-29-2008, 06:02 AM

528 posts, read 2,276,747 times
you said you wanted to be within 15 miles of Lexington....if you check the address of that house you'll see that it is 50 miles from Lexington (it's west of Lawrenceburg).
and yes, it gets below freezing here a LOT....almost every night in January, for example.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:42 AM

2,155 posts, read 3,009,994 times
To the OP: If you want to live within commuting distance to Lexington, try surrounding towns such as Georgetown north), Richmond (east), Nicholasville (south), Versailles (west). Remember, long distance commute = money wasted on GAS, plus more wear and tear on your car.

I think it's totally doable to live anywhere in KY @ $9.50 an hour as long as you are discipline with your budget.

Regarding winter weather in KY, a lot of people get the typical misconception about KY, thinking that it's a relatively southern state so the weather must be significantly warmer. This couldn't be further from the truth. I'm a gardener, so I always use gardening zone to measure how warm/cold a place can be. So using USDA's gardening zone guide, KY is zone 6, EXACTLY THE SAME AS NEW JERSEY (from where I've moved 2+ yrs ago), which means it can go as low as -10 in winter. The difference is KY doesn't get a lot of snow accumulation compare to NJ, but the cold & the wind are the same (in fact KY's wind is more scary than NJ). We get a lot of below freezing temperature in winter in KY, sometimes days or weeks in a row. Didn't mean to scare you, just to give you an idea of our winter weather here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area