U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 03:22 PM
ECU

3 posts, read 15,818 times

Advertisements

We just moved from NC to KY. I am sorry that you have had a bad experience in NC. I lived in NC all of my life prior to our recent move. I
don't think that most folks in NC hate Northeners. I certainly don't, I married one. We have found that KY is somewhat cheaper than NC. We had hoped to find a place in the country here in KY, but since we have to have high speed internet for our work we were limited. If high speed internet isn't an issue for you I think that you will be able to find the perfect place for your farm at a great price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Peachy View Post
Do people in Kentucky mind out of state people moving there?

I just moved to NC and find they hate Northeners worse then I thought they would. So we are thinking of moving from here.

Also..from anyone who has moved to Kentucky from other states..is, say, the cost of food and home improvement items any cheaper in Kentucky or are they the same price as other states.

Anyone know the names of towns that are like farming towns. I would want to buy some property and keep horses and chickens etc.

Thank you very much in advance for any help you can provide for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 05:05 PM

80 posts, read 253,330 times
What I saw statying there for two months: good people, small townish in one way but turning into something bigger....increasing # of outsiders moving in , as is the case in a lot of southern cities these days....not a major job hub but it looked a really nice area to raise kids. Lots of neighborhood parks.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:19 AM

4,114 posts, read 9,489,122 times
These are some nice small towns within 45 minutes of Lexington that I'd recommend, meet your criteria and have the cheapest land:

Scott County: Sadieville
Franklin County: Forks of Elkhorn, Bridgeport
Mercer County: Harrodsburg, Burgin, Salvisa, Mayo, Kirkwood, McAfee (pronounced MacAfee)
Boyle County: Danville, Perryville, Junction City
Lincoln County: Stanford
Garrard County: Lancaster
Madison County: Waco, Bybee, Berea
Harrison County: Cynthiana

In Bourbon, Woodford, and eastern Anderson Counties, as well as around Georgetown and Nicholasville (all immediately surrounding Lexington,) the land values will still be the most expensive. Of course, compared to parts of N.C., they may be a steal. Bourbon County is generally anti-development and -commerce and it took an act of God to get a Wal-Mart Supercenter there. Scott, Jessamine, and Woodford have the horse farm lands and, naturally, wealthier farmers and owners means higher land values. I don't understand Anderson County's prices, though, b/c it's not very clean, the school system sucks, the land is generally rocky, and it's just far enough detached from Lexington and Louisville that it is truly rural.

I personally do not recommend anything east of Lexington. Think north, west, or south.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 02-19-2008 at 07:30 AM..

Old 02-19-2008, 01:43 PM

4 posts, read 9,568 times
Default independence ky

my family is thinking of relocating to independence ky from NJ. i know nothing about kentucky. i am 57 and very nervous about this possible move. can anyone help me? are there jobs and townhouses/condos available there for less then here in nj?

Old 02-19-2008, 03:44 PM

2,068 posts, read 6,135,500 times
What is making you look at KY? What is your profession?

Independence is in Northern KY, it is a suburb of Cincinnati. Between Independence, Florence, Burlington, Erlanger, Union... which are all close to one another, you'll have a lot of options that are reasonably priced. I'm sure the prices will be AT LEAST 1/2 of NJ. Often times you'll be able to find a small home for the same price as a townhome.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:54 AM

4 posts, read 9,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
What is making you look at KY? What is your profession?

Independence is in Northern KY, it is a suburb of Cincinnati. Between Independence, Florence, Burlington, Erlanger, Union... which are all close to one another, you'll have a lot of options that are reasonably priced. I'm sure the prices will be AT LEAST 1/2 of NJ. Often times you'll be able to find a small home for the same price as a townhome.
my daughter and son-in-law are thinking of moving there withmy grandchildren. getting to expensive to live here in nj. where he works here in nj there is also a office in covington and he went there over weekend and really liked independence. i am a receptionist in attorneys.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:52 PM

4 posts, read 7,838 times
I don't recomend Bourbon the schools are very violent and racist and biased i know because i go there and there are lots of bullies they even broke a girls hip there and the principles and superintendent do not care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area