U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 03:45 PM

324 posts, read 670,444 times

Advertisements

Do people in Kentucky mind out of state people moving there?

I just moved to NC and find they hate Northeners worse then I thought they would. So we are thinking of moving from here.

Also..from anyone who has moved to Kentucky from other states..is, say, the cost of food and home improvement items any cheaper in Kentucky or are they the same price as other states.

Anyone know the names of towns that are like farming towns. I would want to buy some property and keep horses and chickens etc.

Thank you very much in advance for any help you can provide for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 06:00 PM

10,226 posts, read 21,708,249 times
I'd say Kentuckians are very friendly and accepting, but you'll just have to come and find out for yourself

How close do you want to be to cities/ shopping? How much can you spend per acre? Those question would determine where to look.

Old 02-02-2008, 03:54 PM

486 posts, read 1,734,400 times
Default really?

There are some great small towns outside of Lexington and Louisville (Cynthiana, Shelbyville, Eminence, Danville, Mt. Sterling, etc.) How close to a city do you want to be? Overall Kentucky is very welcoming. A good amount of my family lives around Raleigh and I've never seen rudeness to northerners just because they were northerners. As censusdata said, you just need to come take a look around and see what you think.

Old 02-02-2008, 04:02 PM

2 posts, read 4,175 times
I LOVE Kentucky! I just moved here from Southeastern Virginia.. the people are extremely helpful and very very friendly! I wish I had moved here years ago!!! I think some things are a little more expensive than where I come from in VA (such as food & auto insurance) But other "cost of living" items are much lower, so it all seems to balance out as best I can tell so far.
I can't say enough good about KY, I am just tickled to death to be here!!!

Old 02-02-2008, 04:39 PM

3 posts, read 20,728 times
I would highly recommend Bardstown KY, though I may be somewhat partial since I'm originally from there. It is a small town with a lot of farms around it ,though I would call it a farm town. It also has the benefit of being one of the most beautiful towns in KY, very historic, very very nice. It is also the center of the bourbon industry.

It is in Nelson Co. which has several other small (read: VERY SMALL <1000 ppl.) towns that are very much farm towns, though I think moving there might be a little much for you as it gets pretty country once outside of Bardstown.

For the quality of life; beautiful town, extremely safe, no traffic, quit, it is very affordable.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:30 PM

10 posts, read 58,167 times
I moved here two years ago from Pennsylvania and I have found Kentuckians in general to be more friendly than northerners. I have never gotten the idea that they did not like northerners here!

Old 02-08-2008, 09:19 PM

2,068 posts, read 6,130,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyClements View Post
I would highly recommend Bardstown KY, though I may be somewhat partial since I'm originally from there. It is a small town with a lot of farms around it ,though I would call it a farm town. It also has the benefit of being one of the most beautiful towns in KY, very historic, very very nice. It is also the center of the bourbon industry.

It is in Nelson Co. which has several other small (read: VERY SMALL <1000 ppl.) towns that are very much farm towns, though I think moving there might be a little much for you as it gets pretty country once outside of Bardstown.

For the quality of life; beautiful town, extremely safe, no traffic, quit, it is very affordable.
Completely agree with what you say about Bardtown. I think it is probably my favorite small town in the state. Pretty countryside, historic town center and friendly people. Bardstown also seems to be a little "better off" than most other small towns in KY. Plus, it gives you easy access to Louisville and Lexington whenever you want a little "city life".

Old 02-09-2008, 11:44 AM

603 posts, read 2,148,326 times
I'm originally from SC and lived in Tennessee before I moved to Lexington. I've never encountered anyone being non-accepting of outsiders, regardless of where they're from. I joke that Lexington has the worst drivers than anyplace I've ever been (and I include Atlanta, Boston, and New York City in the list of places I've driven). There is no food tax for food items in grocery stores and the sales tax is better than in TN. Lexington is a great city, despite having bad drivers.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:18 PM

603 posts, read 2,148,326 times
One thing I wish someone had told me before I moved here: if you have allergies, you'll really suffer from them here. Case in point: Last April, my three year old's eye swelled completely shut in the span of five minutes. We called our on-call doctor who was alarmed at the speed in which it swelled and told us to go to the ER. The ER doctor announced, "Allergies". I said, "He's the only one in the family who doesn't have allergies." The doctor replied, "Ma'am, everyone has allergies in Lexington during April." I'm still glad we moved here, but I would have liked to have known. Now you do.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:29 PM

486 posts, read 1,734,400 times
Just to add, Lexington is consistently ranked in the five worst cities for allergies in the US by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation. Be prepared- I only suffer from allergies when I'm at home, but when I leave KY, I never suffer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area