U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2016, 10:52 AM

12,016 posts, read 10,253,831 times

Advertisements

LavenderLady: I just looked at your previous posts, and each of them is inquiring about various amenities and pros and cons of living in various cities - ten or more cities, over the last year and a half, ranging in location from Kansas to Virginia to Alabama to Tennessee to Kentucky to Ohio...and perhaps elsewhere; I lost track.

My questions for you are: have you actually visited any of the cities and towns you've asked about? If not, why not? How serious are you about moving? Is this just a form of entertainment for you - building aircastles, perhaps - or do you really intend to move in the foreseeable future? If you do intend to move, don't you think visiting the places you are considering would be a good, perhaps better, use of your time? At least that would help you narrow down the field from ten or more candidates.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 12:48 AM

72 posts, read 127,251 times
You are very right CraigCreek. Seems like I have been working on this search forever and I am plenty sick of it! I have been to three places. I know exactly where I want to be, but I can't afford it. I have also been to several towns in TN, one in West Virginia and a couple in NC. I liked the areas, but unfortunately, the realtors were less than honest! Misquoting square footage of the homes, skipping taking photos that should have been shown...just down right dishonest. That's why I am doing as much searching as I can online looking for the right home that I feel I can trust and researching the crime to the best of my ability. I don't have the money to pick up and drive cross country every time a realtor puts a house up that looks plausible only to find out it is a total pack of lies. I've traveled too many times doing this nonsense. It is wear and tear on my car, on my body, on my wallet and totally boggles my mind on what these people get away with. They don't even bother to answer you when you write them! Until I can achieve a good sense of the home, the neighborhood and the town in all respects that concerns my well being, I'm not lifting one foot out the door to personally go there. If that is your thing, go for it. Many of us are not that well-heeled or have the patience to deal with realtors who will do anything to get you in the door.

In addition, the fact that when one retires, they are no longer restricted to a specific place makes it even harder. There was a time when folks moved, it was generally due to a corporate move. AND oftentimes paid for. You knew what city/town you had to be in and you were pretty much restricted to living near that location. Retirement is a whole 'nother ball game. And like it or not, many of us know that the move we make will be our last one until we end up in the nursing home or the urn, so if it turns out the place is not so nice, too bad...suck it up! Sounds like you have money to burn and think online research is a waste of time and I should just go visit every place of interest instead of wasting my time...how 'bout you give me the money! Right now, I know of three towns I would move to IF the right house came along. But in case you aren't aware of it, the housing market is tight, people are under water, bankers now live by stringent rules because they have been burned and there just aren't that many houses out there to choose from. So thank you very much, I will continue to see what I can dig up online before I have to go on a wild goose chase in person. And before you jump in my face all about how you know some really wonderful, honest, upright realtors, I commend you! You have found the needle in the haystack! Every single realtor I have dealt with to date has lied to me.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:15 AM

hogsrus: I don't have a clue what you are going on about. I guess you just like to create havoc wherever you go. The only thing I can sort of make out is Richmond has crime for a smallish city that is above where it should be. I have never thought nor indicated that Richmond was crime free. There are low-lifes and garbage no matter where you live and Richmond obviously is no exception. I just don't want to be a victim of some meth head who needs his next fix! And yeah, like it or not old people tend to dwell on this kind of thing more than they used to...or do they? I just don't remember this being as much of an issue say, 30 years ago. If you moved into a decent subdivision, you just didn't have to worry about druggies, etc. The druggies stayed in their own trailer parks and robbed each other. Now they are spreading out like cockroaches and hitting on everyone. If you can dismiss it with a wave of your hand and a smirk on your face, go for it. I don't have the tolerance to deal with the garbage and the garbage has spread too fast and too far!

As far as posting where I posted, I can only say there was no forum for Richmond of and by itself. Lexington came the closest I could find. I did a forum search under Lexington trying to find additional information on Richmond and there was only ONE post related to Richmond. If there is someplace else I should have posted, I don't know where it is.

Censusdata and Marino 760: Thanks for your help! Marino 760 you are reading the same stats I saw. Pretty poor I think, but I guess it could be worse. Unlike you, I would be happier in a bigger town, say about 60,000 where the arts and culture are better represented. Richmond gets points for having EKU which helps.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:37 AM

11,093 posts, read 22,976,617 times
Richmond is a college town, home to a public university with 13k students. Most of the crime would be student related. The bad is a bit more partying people and crime, the good is you get more shopping and restaurant options than most other towns. I don't think there is more of a drug problem in Richmond than most places. I live in Southern Indiana which is the heroin capital of America. They post signs at park entrances warning to watch for discarded needles. I never recall such problems making news around Richmond.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:16 AM

14,653 posts, read 7,676,476 times
I honestly believe the stats regarding crime are all relative regarding Richmond and most other towns. Like I previously said, it seems to be a beautiful city with lots to offer. I've never been there, so I can only go with what I read but I certainly think it would be a great town to live in for many people. I currently live in a high crime city of about 150,000 and can't wait to move.
Personally, I'm drawn to smaller towns including some in eastern Kentucky and western Kentucky, but then again that's me. Each one has it's good qualities. Luckily, I still have about 4 years before I proudly make Kentucky my new home and that gives me time to explore, visit and make up my mind.
BTW, I think the towns around Lexington are all gorgeous, filled with history and quaint downtowns. There is nothing like it where I live now.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:39 AM

12,016 posts, read 10,253,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavenderlady3388 View Post
You are very right CraigCreek. Seems like I have been working on this search forever and I am plenty sick of it! I have been to three places. I know exactly where I want to be, but I can't afford it. I have also been to several towns in TN, one in West Virginia and a couple in NC. I liked the areas, but unfortunately, the realtors were less than honest! Misquoting square footage of the homes, skipping taking photos that should have been shown...just down right dishonest. That's why I am doing as much searching as I can online looking for the right home that I feel I can trust and researching the crime to the best of my ability. I don't have the money to pick up and drive cross country every time a realtor puts a house up that looks plausible only to find out it is a total pack of lies. I've traveled too many times doing this nonsense. It is wear and tear on my car, on my body, on my wallet and totally boggles my mind on what these people get away with. They don't even bother to answer you when you write them! Until I can achieve a good sense of the home, the neighborhood and the town in all respects that concerns my well being, I'm not lifting one foot out the door to personally go there. If that is your thing, go for it. Many of us are not that well-heeled or have the patience to deal with realtors who will do anything to get you in the door.

In addition, the fact that when one retires, they are no longer restricted to a specific place makes it even harder. There was a time when folks moved, it was generally due to a corporate move. AND oftentimes paid for. You knew what city/town you had to be in and you were pretty much restricted to living near that location. Retirement is a whole 'nother ball game. And like it or not, many of us know that the move we make will be our last one until we end up in the nursing home or the urn, so if it turns out the place is not so nice, too bad...suck it up! Sounds like you have money to burn and think online research is a waste of time and I should just go visit every place of interest instead of wasting my time...how 'bout you give me the money! Right now, I know of three towns I would move to IF the right house came along. But in case you aren't aware of it, the housing market is tight, people are under water, bankers now live by stringent rules because they have been burned and there just aren't that many houses out there to choose from. So thank you very much, I will continue to see what I can dig up online before I have to go on a wild goose chase in person. And before you jump in my face all about how you know some really wonderful, honest, upright realtors, I commend you! You have found the needle in the haystack! Every single realtor I have dealt with to date has lied to me.
O-kay. Good luck with your ongoing search.

(BTW, anyone who's read my many posts here knows that I am a great believer in and practitioner of online research. It should also be clear that I am frugal and do not waste my money by burning it or donating it to unworthy causes).

Old 01-27-2016, 02:17 PM

974 posts, read 1,529,617 times
Quote:
hogsrus: I don't have a clue what you are going on about. I guess you just like to create havoc wherever you go. The only thing I can sort of make out is Richmond has crime for a smallish city that is above where it should be. I have never thought nor indicated that Richmond was crime free. There are low-lifes and garbage no matter where you live and Richmond obviously is no exception. I just don't want to be a victim of some meth head who needs his next fix! And yeah, like it or not old people tend to dwell on this kind of thing more than they used to...or do they? I just don't remember this being as much of an issue say, 30 years ago. If you moved into a decent subdivision, you just didn't have to worry about druggies, etc. The druggies stayed in their own trailer parks and robbed each other. Now they are spreading out like cockroaches and hitting on everyone. If you can dismiss it with a wave of your hand and a smirk on your face, go for it. I don't have the tolerance to deal with the garbage and the garbage has spread too fast and too far!

As far as posting where I posted, I can only say there was no forum for Richmond of and by itself. Lexington came the closest I could find. I did a forum search under Lexington trying to find additional information on Richmond and there was only ONE post related to Richmond. If there is someplace else I should have posted, I don't know where it is.

Censusdata and Marino 760: Thanks for your help! Marino 760 you are reading the same stats I saw. Pretty poor I think, but I guess it could be worse. Unlike you, I would be happier in a bigger town, say about 60,000 where the arts and culture are better represented. Richmond gets points for having EKU which helps.

Okay....we have determined, Richmond has too much crime to suit your needs. Hey, that's okay with me. Bases on the non existent information we know about what you are looking for....why Richmond Kentucky in the first place? Why Kentucky at all? What was your intentions or what did you hope to learn from the original post? Or, were you just relaying an observation hoping for, what? What State do you live in now? When do you plan on retiring? The fact that you choose not to divulge any basic information lead me to believe you had ulterior motives. And, if that's the cast, that's okay to, you aren't the first and probably won't be the last.

I have my own theory. I could be wrong....

Old 01-28-2016, 12:50 AM

Hogsrus. I don't have a clear picture of the crime yet in Richmond. Perhaps it is such a nebulous thing it really can't be pinned down. Why Richmond? I already have stated that a house came up that met my stringent needs and they don't come along often and still be affordable. Why Kentucky? Because it is one of the states I earmarked as reasonable as far as property taxes and middle-range weather. Neither too miserably hot or too miserably cold. I currently live out in Podunk in PA with a population of less than 500 and I hate it. I am planning on getting out of here as quick as I find all of my stars lining up properly. That means a home in a relative crime-free area, the standards I have to have in a home, easily accessible "conveniences" such as good vets, doctors, groceries, banking...the usual stuff without having to drive more than 15 minutes and it would be nice to have the luxuries somewhat accessible like a symphony, art museum, art galleries which would indicate a larger city hopefully within 30 to 45 minutes away. Having access to some kind of college/university would also be a plus. My husband will most likely be dead within the next 2 to 4 years. I would like very much to be moved, settled and have a better handle of getting along by myself by that time. It is important for me to be able to get around by myself where I don't get flustered. Larger towns and cities scare me and this could certainly curtail my being able to go into a larger city for the finer, cultural things. EKU would certainly be a plus, although I would not put it at the same standards as say a symphony or art museum in Lexington. I have no ulterior motives. Really. I am mostly a homebody and the house I choose is extremely important. My preferred states are TN and NC, but right now there is nothing there housewise. Fortunately for now, I still have time, but the clock is ticking and I will continue to look.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Hogsrus. I don't have a clear picture of the crime yet in Richmond. Perhaps it is such a nebulous thing it really can't be pinned down. Why Richmond? I already have stated that a house came up that met my stringent needs and they don't come along often and still be affordable. Why Kentucky? Because it is one of the states I earmarked as reasonable as far as property taxes and middle-range weather. Neither too miserably hot or too miserably cold. I currently live out in Podunk in PA with a population of less than 500 and I hate it. I am planning on getting out of here as quick as I find all of my stars lining up properly. That means a home in a relative crime-free area, the standards I have to have in a home, easily accessible "conveniences" such as good vets, doctors, groceries, banking...the usual stuff without having to drive more than 15 minutes and it would be nice to have the luxuries somewhat accessible like a symphony, art museum, art galleries which would indicate a larger city hopefully within 30 to 45 minutes away. Having access to some kind of college/university would also be a plus. My husband will most likely be dead within the next 2 to 4 years. I would like very much to be moved, settled and have a better handle of getting along by myself by that time. It is important for me to be able to get around by myself where I don't get flustered. Larger towns and cities scare me and this could certainly curtail my being able to go into a larger city for the finer, cultural things. EKU would certainly be a plus, although I would not put it at the same standards as say a symphony or art museum in Lexington. I have no ulterior motives. Really. I am mostly a homebody and the house I choose is extremely important. My preferred states are TN and NC, but right now there is nothing there housewise. Fortunately for now, I still have time, but the clock is ticking and I will continue to look.

That sounds reasonable.

You are right, Richmond is certainly one to look at, as well as some others. I live just down the road and know folks that live in Berea. Honestly,, I don't hear any news about excess crime in Madison County. I'll give it some thought.

Good luck.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:27 AM

Lavenderlady, tell me about the house you are looking for. If they are that difficult to locate, maybe you need to consider building. That way you can have everything you are looking for in a house.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area