U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 08:12 PM

528 posts, read 2,277,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
If you do not want to live in Louisville or Lexington, the outlying counties around Louisville, especially Oldham County, is much nicer than anything around Lexington.
I don't necessarily agree with that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 09:06 PM

2,068 posts, read 6,133,751 times
It depends on what you want. If you want a bigger city, then Louisville is a nice option. If you want a more medium sized city, then Lexington is also a very nice option. I personally think the small towns outside of Lexington are much nicer than those outside of Louisville. The countryside around Lexington is absolutely beautiful in every direction. Green rolling horsefarms everywhere. Outside of Louisville, Oldham Co is nice as well and worth a look. However, it is becoming rapidly "suburbanized" and in 10years the countryside will probably be overrun with tract homes if the growth continues at its current rate. Both are nice places to live IMO but they are different basically because of scale. The countryside in between is very nice and would give you easy access to either city when you desire.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:26 PM

39 posts, read 144,932 times
We are not in the horse buss., just have a few for our own enjoyment! We are looking to buy at least 5 acres that is set up for them already. We have checked into oldham Co., if L'ville is where we belong, that sounds like the nicest area from what I've heard. We are planning a trip down there in early May, and figure it would be good just to drive around and check out different areas.I was just wondering if we would be better off closer to Lex., as it isn't such a big city. I guess the size of L'Ville kind of scares me, as we have always lived in smaller towns, and is what we are used to (and comfortable with). Anyway, thanks for all the input...SO much appreciated!!

Old 02-09-2008, 05:50 AM

Bishard, I sent you a DM with some info....

Old 02-09-2008, 06:06 AM

458 posts, read 2,155,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishard2 View Post
We are not in the horse buss., just have a few for our own enjoyment! We are looking to buy at least 5 acres that is set up for them already. We have checked into oldham Co., if L'ville is where we belong, that sounds like the nicest area from what I've heard. We are planning a trip down there in early May, and figure it would be good just to drive around and check out different areas.I was just wondering if we would be better off closer to Lex., as it isn't such a big city. I guess the size of L'Ville kind of scares me, as we have always lived in smaller towns, and is what we are used to (and comfortable with). Anyway, thanks for all the input...SO much appreciated!!
We don't have horses or a farm to consider, but when we were looking at cities we LOVED Louisville because it's a very cool city--but felt like it was too big for us to call home. Lexington has been perfect for us--just the right size but plenty of amenities and L'ville is not far.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:35 AM

39 posts, read 144,932 times
BTW...Thanks Toria! Do you live in Lex? I'm going to check out the info you sent...I'm really gearing toward Lex!! Thanks again!, Annette

Old 02-09-2008, 02:03 PM

Hi - I'm not right in Lexington; am a bit northeast of it....hope the info helps .

Old 02-09-2008, 02:57 PM

688 posts, read 2,810,335 times
Toria posted some gorgeous photos of her property in the photos section .

Old 02-09-2008, 04:05 PM

thanks for your nice words ....

Old 02-10-2008, 11:37 AM

714 posts, read 1,416,389 times
I just changed jobs and until recently I drove all over the state selling agricultural products. The point is that I have seen a lot of back roads all over Kentucky. Oldham County IS beautiful, but I wouldn't rule out bourbon, scott, woodford and many more. There are so many areas with beautiful land in and around Lexington and Louisville. I personally think the road leading from Lexington to Paris (bourbon county) is some of the best views I have ever seen. All I'm saying is that I think you could find a great home in a lot of different areas aroung Lexington and Louisville. As for the difference in the two...we'll...I am more conservative. I don't like the "big city". I DO like to visit, but I would never want to live there. Just my opinion. Louisville is a city. Lexington is a town. Louisville to me is dirty, too big, and has way too many different types of people and cultural things. If you like cultural things, large expressways, then it might be for you. Also, I wanted to ask anyone on here...I am confused that everyone says Louisville traffic is so great? I traveled to, or thru, Louisville at least once a week for my job all at different times of the day and night. It was the worst mess ever, MOST of the time. I don't know? my luck? I live in Hamburg and it takes me 5 minutes or less to get anywhere in Hamburg.

Anyway, good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or