Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2016, 06:37 AM

2 posts, read 4,915 times

Advertisements

Hello. We are a family of 4 (two elementary-aged kids) who will be moving from DC to the Lexington area, possibly as early as this summer. We are leaning towards Versailles, KY, but want additional advice since home sales appear limited based on our needs/wants. Or, talk us out of Versailles and steer us into neighborhoods or areas that are "Versailles-like"

-I will be working north of Lexington, just outside 421 on Georgetown Rd. (25). Commute won't matter compared to the nightmare I face daily in DC.

-We are looking for a single-family home, in a newer neighborhood, with a budget of 275K-400K. Newer construction is preferred (nothing older than 15-20 years). Suburbia delight. A neighborhood with a pool/clubhouse is desirable.

-Schools are important....in order of preference, Woodford HS (Versailles), Paul Lawrence Dunbar, Henry Clay.

-If not Versailles, I think somewhere south of Man O' War Blvd?

Any advice or comments are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 07:44 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
The Beaumont area might work for you - it's off Harrodsburg Road, just beyond New Circle Road, in Lexington, and includes a large Y, a good public library branch, convenient shopping, a newish elementary school, and is in the Paul Lawrence Dunbar district.

South of MoW will add to your commute time, although New Circle moves well unless there is an accident.

Also, be aware that in Lexington, many older houses that have been well-maintained are much better built than are newer houses, and the prices in the very desirable older neighborhoods containing these very non-generic houses reflect that. So - don't rule out Ashland Park, Chevy Chase, and Southland (in order of price - all three areas have excellent schools, and are convenient to shopping and parks with pools. Chevy Chase and Ashland are in the Henry Clay school district; Southland kids go to Lafayette).

When I think of Versailles' housing stock, it is the lovely, well-,maintained, character-filled older houses along the streets close to Main Street which come to mind, not the extensive new developments along Huntertown Road or near the Bluegrass Parkway. The newer houses are pleasant and very comfortable (I have friends in two of those newer houses), but to me, they lack the charm and character of the older areas. Others' takes may differ. But - going by my concept of the most charming, character-filled Versailles houses, Ashland Park and Chevy Chase in Lexington would be the nearest parallels, with Southland close behind - Southland houses are more modest in scale and price, but also are close to excellent schools, shopping, large parks, churches, etc..

If you are comparing new developments in Lexington with those in Versailles, they all look pretty much alike to me, although some are more costly than others, and location is a strong consideration (as in all cases). Beaumont houses, like most of the others in the many newer developments along Harrodsburg Road, strongly resemble the newer houses on the outskirts of Versailles. But they don't "speak Versailles" to me, nor do they "speak Lexington". They are just newish, generic houses, and could really be built just about anywhere in this country.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:34 PM

969 posts, read 2,820,114 times
There aren't a lot of choices in Versailles. Every time I take a buyer there in your price range who also wants a newer house, we look in the 2-3 neighborhoods with houses for sale and they end up buying in Lexington. Most are off of Falling Springs Blvd. Versailles is very nice...just not a lot of options.

Beaumont could work for you if you can find anything under $400k. That is a pricy area. Other than Beaumont, most of the Dunbar school district was developed in the early 90s. (Palomar and Firebrook both do have a pool and clubhouse. Both will be at the top of your range. Copperfield is super nice and has a pool/clubhouse, would be in your budget, but most of the houses are more like 25 years old now.)

What about Chilesburg? That goes to Henry Clay. $300-350k will get you a big newer house. No pool/clubhouse but you could join the Andover Country Club which is just down Todds Road.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:35 PM

92 posts, read 154,368 times
MarkJenkins311 - I just relocated last month from Northern Virginia & will be working on Leestown Rd. I don't know what "Versailles-like" means...but my wife and I have looked at homes in Versailles, Georgetow, Paris, Winchester, Richmond, and Lexington. We are looking in the same price range as you.

I agree with LEXpert and Craigcreek....in that their are not a a lot of homes for sale in Versailles & that a lot of homes/neighborhoods look similar. I have looked in Chilesburg and their was some nice houses there...but I have not looked in Beaumont yet.

From a commute stand-point you might want to check out Georgetown. I also think Richmond and Winchester had some of the best house/yard combos for the price....but I'm not sure i want to commute that far to work. I left DC because I wanted an easier commute

Old 05-12-2016, 06:12 PM

2 posts, read 4,915 times
Default Thanks!

Thank you all for the great advice....I will consider all of it objectively, and likely circle back with some follow-up.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:52 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Versailles is a great town but very anti growth by choice. It also doesn't have much retail. I'd recommend Georgetown, northern Jessamine County, or SW Lexington. You'll have tons of options in your price range.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:53 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,947,286 times
I grew up in Beaumont, went to Dunbar. Great neighborhood, great school.

Side note, I've never heard it referred to as "421". Had to look that one up. Just call it "New Circle Road" and "Georgetown Road". Also, when you hear traffic reports or people talking about getting on New Circle, you'll often hear "inner loop" and "outer loop". Apparently this confuses outsiders -- but because it's a circle, there's no definite north, south, east or west. Just an inner and an outer circle.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:00 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
I grew up in Beaumont, went to Dunbar. Great neighborhood, great school.

Side note, I've never heard it referred to as "421". Had to look that one up. Just call it "New Circle Road" and "Georgetown Road". Also, when you hear traffic reports or people talking about getting on New Circle, you'll often hear "inner loop" and "outer loop". Apparently this confuses outsiders -- but because it's a circle, there's no definite north, south, east or west. Just an inner and an outer circle.
It used to be just US 21, which inspired the name of the long-gone Circle 21 Drive-In (movie theater), which was located on New Circle Road. But back in the '50s, when construction began, it was commonly known as the Beltline.

I remember being confused when the references to "New Circle Road" began when I was a child, as I'd always heard it called the Beltline, and had no idea where New Circle Road might be! The circle was still not completed when I was a senior in college, when the Tates Creek overpass was constructed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area