U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 06:08 AM

127 posts, read 313,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
Wow, "road improvements" for the interstate. Is that it?? If so, how typical of Lexington.

One of the main reasons for leveling that block of downtown was to prepare for the Games by putting in a 4 star + hotel, restaurants, even living spaces, & you see how that turned out (its a vacant patch of grass now). CentrePointe I believe it was supposed to be called. So they basically leveled a bunch of historic buildings & made businesses relocate for a patch of grass.

I mean, for Lexington to be so gung-ho about horses, they're really dropping the ball on this thing IMO. Doesnt surprise me one bit though, city planning isnt exactly this town's cup of tea.
i hate to be mr negative, but this is spot on. we are supposidly the horse capitol of the WORLD, and the best this city has done to plan for the games is widening a highway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 10:32 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,174,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertdilbert View Post
i hate to be mr negative, but this is spot on. we are supposidly the horse capitol of the WORLD, and the best this city has done to plan for the games is widening a highway.
Thanks. Im really actually a fair & balanced guy, but if I sound negative sometimes, its because I dont BS stuff & lets face it, a lot of Lex/KY has a lot of negatives against it, so Im gonna talk about 'em to hopefully draw attention to them so they improve. If I didnt care I wouldnt say anything at all, thats what a lot of the retard posters here dont get.

Anyways, regarding the games, its a sad attempt for sure. You're right, for the "Horse Capital Of The World" (the WORLD mind you), you'd think they'd throw something together better than this. I mean, these games are basically the olympics of the horse world, are they not? Hell, I've seen cities do 10 times more than this for just the Superbowl coming to their town for a day.

Check out where these games have been:

GAMES LOCATIONS

1990 Stockholm, Sweden
1994 The Hague, Netherlands
1998 Rome, Italy
2002 Jerez de la Frontera, Spain
2006 Aachen, Germany
2010 Lexington, Kentucky, United States
2014 Normandy, France

For Lexington to get this & to be in the ranks of those other cities (which are mostly major 1st tier cities), its a big deal. So for them to be putting forth this kind of extremely half-assed effort is really just embarrassing IMO. So you can probably bet they'll never return.

It really should have been this town's moment to shine. They've known about it for years & basically done nothing.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
It really should have been this town's moment to shine. They've known about it for years & basically done nothing.
i don't know if they have done nothing, but what i have seen its has been very minimal. You can't go downtown without looking at the huge HOLE that used to be a block of old buildings/shops/clubs all for nothing.

For all the hype of the games, this SHOULD be this towns moment to shine. agreed 100%

Old 04-02-2010, 05:50 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,174,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertdilbert View Post
i don't know if they have done nothing, but what i have seen its has been very minimal. You can't go downtown without looking at the huge HOLE that used to be a block of old buildings/shops/clubs all for nothing.

For all the hype of the games, this SHOULD be this towns moment to shine. agreed 100%
Well, Im sure they've done some small things here & there that'll help, but like you said, that huge hole in downtown now is a constant reminder of the city leader's blunders & not working to get things done. The whole reason for doing it was for the upcoming Games. Hell, it was better the way it was than it is now (big vacant grassy space). At least there was businesses & other retail there that was useful. They screwed around with this Webb guy too much. Why they didnt just scrap the project completely & start something new so they could have had it done by now is beyond me. Its been going on for years, so there's really no excuse.

Its upsetting because for one, this town needs new leadership with people that have experience with this sorta stuff. And two, Im not even sure most the residents care all that much about it. So if they dont care then why should their elected leaders care?? But Im sure if it was something to do with the Cats, people would be raising all kinds of hell over it.

The city has potential, but its frustrating to say the least.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:57 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,229,619 times
Wait a minute; I thought Ulan Bator was the world's horse capitol?

Old 04-04-2010, 08:27 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,490,724 times
Quote:
Thanks. Im really actually a fair & balanced guy, but if I sound negative sometimes, its because I dont BS stuff & lets face it, a lot of Lex/KY has a lot of negatives against it, so Im gonna talk about 'em to hopefully draw attention to them so they improve. If I didnt care I wouldnt say anything at all, thats what a lot of the retard posters here dont get.

Anyways, regarding the games, its a sad attempt for sure. You're right, for the "Horse Capital Of The World" (the WORLD mind you), you'd think they'd throw something together better than this. I mean, these games are basically the olympics of the horse world, are they not? Hell, I've seen cities do 10 times more than this for just the Superbowl coming to their town for a day.

Check out where these games have been:

GAMES LOCATIONS

1990 Stockholm, Sweden
1994 The Hague, Netherlands
1998 Rome, Italy
2002 Jerez de la Frontera, Spain
2006 Aachen, Germany
2010 Lexington, Kentucky, United States
2014 Normandy, France

For Lexington to get this & to be in the ranks of those other cities (which are mostly major 1st tier cities), its a big deal. So for them to be putting forth this kind of extremely half-assed effort is really just embarrassing IMO. So you can probably bet they'll never return.

Kerry,

That's why I b*tch a lot about Kentucky's negatives, too. The negatives are why I want to leave the state and not live here again. That said, I (believe it or not, folks) care about the long-term success of this state and think that, with its current direction, it will continue to be the Southernmost rust belt state in the 21st century.

Lexington's efforts to beautify itself and become a remarkable showplace for Kentucky and Southern culture are just...well, seemingly effortless, at least compared to what it should be doing. Adding a few feet in width on Newtown Pike or improving I-75 signage just isn't going to cut it. Granted, I think if we still have Governor Fletcher in office much more would have been done with more underway, but that's politics and these are horses and their owners.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:06 PM

4,521 posts, read 5,430,535 times
Thumbs up Weg 2010

People, the games are about the events, not Lexington, Louisville, or even Kentucky - these are all sidebars to the reason that people are actually traveling from overseas - to see the games. This is a chance for the U.S. and Kentucky to be a good host for the games and then improve the chances to have these games hosted again in the U.S. For those that don't know what is being built in the Ky Horse Park, they just finished a brand new 7,500 person arena (who knew) amongst additional outdoor venues to support the 2010 games. In Aachen, Germany, they hardly rolled out the red carpet and sold most of the last-minute tickets as general seating which resulted in general seating in the front of many venues thus blocking the views of the 30,000+ fans each day.

Here is a the venue map showing what construction has been completed prior to the games; which start in 6 months: 2010 Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games™ - Venues

On the downside - it does not help that almost ever hotel is charging over $200 per night during the games nor does it help that each event is being nickeled for a separate tickets (general admission, then separate costs to enter to each event and each venue, each day). It's still undecided on whether the push to promote the games has been a success. Hopefully some on this forum will give the games a fair shake and realize it won't help pushing the games away from Kentucky even before the first day starts.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:13 PM

218 posts, read 565,531 times
Quote:
They screwed around with this Webb guy too much. Why they didnt just scrap the project completely & start something new so they could have had it done by now is beyond me.
Just who is they that was screwing around with Webb? And who is the they that would scrap a PRIVATE PROPERTY project? The Hotel project was proposed for downtown, period. The fact that it COULD be finished for the WEG was put forth as icing on the cake, not the primary reason for the hotel. Public money was never involved with this project and it has always been a PRIVATE PROPERTY matter.

Does PRIVATE PROPERTY law not matter to people these days? Are we becoming a totalitarian state in terms of property law?

Old 04-07-2010, 06:00 AM

Quote:
But Im sure if it was something to do with the Cats, people would be raising all kinds of hell over it.
lol! If it had ANYTHING to do with the cats NONE of this would have happened.

I did get an email stating that they are redoing the sidewalks and planters on vine and main, and they have also started work on cheapside. Its something at least

Old 04-11-2010, 10:54 PM

2,372 posts, read 4,558,484 times
North Limestone is being totally renovated right now.

I really wish they'd complete Centrepoint. Lexington needs to seriously define its skyline!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area