U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2008, 07:19 AM

12 posts, read 38,690 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

My hubby was born and raised in Arkansas and we are considering relocating back south from our current home in NE Ohio. (Too much snow for the poor guy!) We have friends in Lexington, hence, why we're considering moving there! (A similar post is in the Arkansas forum as well.)

We have 3 small children, the oldest of which, will start Kindergarten in the fall, so I'm particularly interested in the schools in Lexington. What are some great elementary schools that I should watch for? Any that I should stay away from?

My hubby is an accomplished bass guitar player and will be looking for a new band to gig with as well. Where are some places he might look for a new band? How is the music scene in Lexington?

Also, we're looking to rent a 3-4 bedroom home when we move, until we find 'the house' to purchase. Any insight there? We have 2 kitties, if that might be a factor.

Thanks!
Sue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 09:20 AM

10,249 posts, read 21,735,919 times
Lexington doesn't have much of a music scene, but Louisville (only 1 hour away) has a really great one.

The South End would have the best public schools

Old 02-17-2008, 12:14 PM

458 posts, read 2,155,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnichols1 View Post
Hi everyone!

My hubby was born and raised in Arkansas and we are considering relocating back south from our current home in NE Ohio. (Too much snow for the poor guy!) We have friends in Lexington, hence, why we're considering moving there! (A similar post is in the Arkansas forum as well.)

We have 3 small children, the oldest of which, will start Kindergarten in the fall, so I'm particularly interested in the schools in Lexington. What are some great elementary schools that I should watch for? Any that I should stay away from?

My hubby is an accomplished bass guitar player and will be looking for a new band to gig with as well. Where are some places he might look for a new band? How is the music scene in Lexington?

Also, we're looking to rent a 3-4 bedroom home when we move, until we find 'the house' to purchase. Any insight there? We have 2 kitties, if that might be a factor.

Thanks!
Sue
We just relocated and are renting until we decide where for sure to settle. From what I can gather there are many, many good elementary schools on the South Side of town and many underperforming one in the North Side. In general Glendover, Veterans and Rosa Parks are called the best. Stonewall, Clays Mill, Picadome, Garden Springs are also good. We are shooting for Stonewall ourselves. You need to also look ahead to how long you are staying in the area because some good elementary schools feed into less than good middle schools. Of course the more money you spend on a house, the better the school district typically.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:08 PM

486 posts, read 1,735,693 times
Typically the schools on the south side are good. I'd recommend Cassidy, Stonewall, Glendover, Rosa Parks, and Veterans Park. What is your price range for housing? That will affect where in Lexington you will end up. Actually there is a music scene here, but from what I can tell you need "connections." A number of people at my school are in bands, but compared to somewhere like Nashville, Portland, or Los Angeles where the music scene is huge, your husband will probably be disappointed. Common Grounds Coffee House is a popular spot for local bands to play as are Third Street Stuff and Woodland Park. I don't know much else about the music scene, but I can ask around if you'd like.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:36 PM

603 posts, read 2,150,176 times
My daughter is in kindergarten at Deep Springs Elementary which is on the north side. Now you probably don't want to live on that neighborhood (she's out of district), but don't discount schools because they are not on the South side. When deciding on her kindergarten, I almost overlooked this school because of lower test scores, but then I decided to meet the principal and tour the school. I discovered that the principal knew every kids' names, and the teachers were knowledgeable and friendly. She has been there since August and loves it. She is reading books and learns so much every day. My point is this: tour the school, meet the principal, even talk to the kindergarten teachers and then make your decision. When it comes down to it though, the school your child goes to mostly depends on which school you are zoned to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area