Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2016, 02:25 PM

129 posts, read 117,458 times

Advertisements

First, in the interest of full disclosure, I signed up on CD years ago and was pretty active for a while, but I dropped off and haven't posted in a long time. My original username (Honuman) no longer works, so I've re-registered under a new name. Some background: I'm originally from California and spent my childhood in several places there and in upstate New York, lived in Atlanta for 25 after my parents moved there for employment reasons, and moved to the Pacific Northwest in 1997 after coming here on vacation and falling in love with the area. My now-wife moved here from Hawaii in 1998. It's long been our dream to move to Hawaii, but every time we planned to do so, we'd encounter roadblocks. She's going to retire in 2020 (I'll still have a few more working years left), and the unfortunate reality is that Hawaii is extremely expensive, and the healthcare system outside of Oahu is awful, which is a concern as we get older.

Plan B was always to remain in Portland. In the late 1990s, it was an undiscovered gem, existing in the shadow of trendy Seattle. But then the New York Times started gushing over what a great city Portland is, and then the TV series Portlandia and Grimm further added our fame. Word of mouth spread, and what had been a slow, steady influx of newcomers turned into a torrent. Everyone agrees that a tipping point has occurred over the past year. Traffic has gone from bad to horrendous, and the frustration from this has resulted in drivers, pedestrians, and bicyclists becoming increasingly rude, ignoring traffic laws and causing accidents. Housing and rental prices have skyrocketed, and overall cost of living has gone up. To people moving here from places like NYC, Los Angeles, and the San Francisco Bay Area, it's a bargain. We're becoming a "real city" as opposed to a "big town." There's nothing inherently wrong with that, but most people I know who moved here for the vibe and lifestyle that had existed for at least the previous 20 years are planning their eventual exit. My wife and I figured we'd move to a smaller city in Oregon, like Eugene. We couldn't imagine living anywhere besides the PNW or Hawaii.

But then my wife's older son met a Louisville, Kentucky woman on an on-line dating site. She visited here, and he visited there, and he was really impressed with Louisville. When they started talking about marriage, they decided it made more sense for him to move there, due to more job opportunities in his field, a lower overall cost of living, and much cheaper housing. He made a couple more scouting trips, and on his last trip before he planned to move, he found a job and an apartment. Once he became set on moving to Louisville, he started telling us that we should consider moving there when my wife retires. Our initial thought was, "No way," but we had admit that we knew nothing about the area. We started doing research, and we were amazed at how inexpensive housing is compared to Portland: 50% less. As for Louisville, it sounded similar to Portland in many ways: similar size, similar challenges due to growth, similar traffic problems, etc.

During our research, Lexington kept popping up on "best places to retire" lists. It ticked off almost all the boxes on our wish list: small city, clean, low crime, good healthcare, pretty scenery, arts and culture, ethnic restaurants, open-minded and friendly people, inexpensive housing, and moderate climate. That describes Portland during its heyday (in our opinion): a city that's big enough to have all the things we enjoy, but small enough that it lacks a lot of the problems of really big cities. The only thing Lexington lacks that we'd miss is proximity to the ocean.

In June, we went to Kentucky for my wife's son's wedding, and we took a few extra days to check out Louisville and Lexington. Both exceeded our expectations. The people we met were as friendly as we'd been told. We were amazed at how lush and green this part of Kentucky is -- as green as the PNW, but with different types of trees. We drove through a couple of Lexington neighborhoods that had caught our eye on line, and we liked them in person. My wife grew up on a cattle ranch in Hawaii, and she loves horses, so the "horse culture" of Kentucky appeals to her. I started becoming nostalgic for the South; although I didn't move to Atlanta until I was 12, and although my parents are from New York, you can't live in a place for 25 years without some of its culture seeping into your soul. My wife enjoyed her previous visits to Georgia, finding "Southern hospitality" to be the closest thing to "Hawaiian aloha" that's she's experienced on the mainland.

In summary, Lexington is now at the top of our short list of places to retire. Financially, it would make sense for us. We could sell our modest house in Portland, pay off the mortgage, and pay cash for a nicer house there. We think we'd be happy there, and we'd be within driving distance of many places neither of us have seen. (I travelled extensively through the South when I lived there, but I never made it to Kentucky or the Midwest.) We'd be near our eventual grandchildren. We'd avoid the devastating Cascadia Subduction Zone earthquake that has a 30% of hitting the PNW during our lifetime. I'm pretty sure I could telecommute from my current job, which involves working at a computer all day. Other cities on our short list include Raleigh-Durham (three of our friends and coworkers have moved there and love it, and it's only a couple hours from the ocean), Roanoke (I've never been, but it makes the "top retirement cities" lists), Asheville (I've been, and it's beautiful but more expensive), and Charlottesville (ditto). Lexington seems to have the best overall mix of what we're looking for, and my wife thinks it has the nicest houses in our price range. We plan to make a couple more scouting trips.

Anyway, I don't have any questions yet, but I've been reading this forum for a few months now and have found it very informative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 04:54 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,109,734 times
My only advice to you is to be aware of your surroundings in Lexington and Louisville. Take time to review zoning maps for the area you're thinking about to make sure that areas which appear undeveloped now aren't planned to be something else undesirable in the future. Also some people in KY can be tough to get to know. As in they might be less interested in transplants than people born and raised there. KY is definitely a red state on the whole. Lex and Ville will lean in the blue direction if that matters to you.

Be sure to have a plan should tornadic weather show up. Just google tornadoes Louisville April 3, 1974 for the worst case scenario of how tornadoes can hit a city like Louisville. It's scary, but it was a different time with little warnings then.

If you are elderly and need medical visits often do yourself a favor and focus on Louisville. One thing I think Lexington lacks are truly great hospitals.

Put me in the category of every other born and raised KYian that left. We are either working on coming back or wishing that they never left.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:13 AM

7,067 posts, read 16,670,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
My only advice to you is to be aware of your surroundings in Lexington and Louisville. Take time to review zoning maps for the area you're thinking about to make sure that areas which appear undeveloped now aren't planned to be something else undesirable in the future. Also some people in KY can be tough to get to know. As in they might be less interested in transplants than people born and raised there. KY is definitely a red state on the whole. Lex and Ville will lean in the blue direction if that matters to you.

Be sure to have a plan should tornadic weather show up. Just google tornadoes Louisville April 3, 1974 for the worst case scenario of how tornadoes can hit a city like Louisville. It's scary, but it was a different time with little warnings then.

If you are elderly and need medical visits often do yourself a favor and focus on Louisville. One thing I think Lexington lacks are truly great hospitals.

Put me in the category of every other born and raised KYian that left. We are either working on coming back or wishing that they never left.
I do agree with the hospital thing. Many more doctors and much higher level of expertises in Louisville.

That said, Lexington certainly has all the docs you need, and because the state loves to invest money in Lexington, UK Chandler is now the best hospital in the state.

I would still argue Baptist Louisville is better in most things, especially stroke and heart attacks. However US News recently ranked Chandler number 1. They also did an impressive renovation and expansion. The care abnd doctors at Chandler is remarkable, and you can tell the state literally pumps money there. They do not give much of anything to Louisville.

Best Hospitals in Kentucky | US News Best Hospitals

However, Louisville contains 40% of the states top ranked hospitals and two of the largest hospital systems. The problem with Lexington is there is no true great suburban hospital. Thus, the delay in getting you down to Chandler or Baptist could cost you your life.

I do travel to hospitals for my job, and can tell you that these top 5 are all basically equivocal IMO.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:43 PM

Thanks, Flash and Peter. My wife and I are both healthy and come from healthy stock, but one never knows, so it's a good idea to be near highly rated hospitals. I've read good things about both Louisville and Lexington.

Tornadoes were an issue when I lived in Atlanta. I never saw one during my 25 years there, but one touched down a quarter mile from my apartment complex one night, and I heard it. It did indeed sound like the proverbial freight train. Tornadoes, at least, are surgical. My wife works for the City of Portland and deals with the department in charge of preparing for the mega-quake that's going to hit the PNW eventually. The Cascadia Subduction Zone wasn't discovered until the 1980s, and, until then, it was thought that the PNW wasn't at risk for serious earthquakes, so buildings weren't constructed with that in mind. It's the same kind of fault as the one off the coast of Japan, and it's capable of producing a magnitude 8 to 9 quake. When it happens, it will be the worst natural disaster in the history of this country. There's a 30% chance of an M8 hitting during our lifetime, and a 15% chance of an M9, based on geologic records going back 10,000 years. We're not "overdue," as some articles have claimed, but we're well past the average interval between mega-quakes. Of course, there's a 70-85% chance that a mega-quake won't hit during our lifetime, but it's one factor in our thinking that it might be a good idea to retire elsewhere. The main one is cost of living, though. There aren't any inexpensive places on the West Coast anymore, unless you live in the middle of nowhere.

Peter, I got your two new DMs today (thanks!), but it says there's a two-message limit per day, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to reply.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
Good advice, thanks. The area that caught our eyes was the area around Polo Club Drive. Yeah, it's suburbia, but it's convenient to shopping, not that far from downtown, and similar to where we live now (but nicer). My wife favors newer houses, as long as the construction quality is decent -- which in Portland varies from builder to builder. I'm open to older houses, too, as long as they aren't in need of major (expensive) repairs. I've read good things about Southland. Our budget at the moment is about $250K, but at the rate housing values have been going up here, it might be closer to $300K by the time we're ready to move.

Pacific Northesterners are tough to get to know, too. They tend to be polite but reserved. My wife and I are very open, friendly, and respectful, but we're introverts with limited social needs. We prefer to have a few close friends rather than lots of casual acquaintances.

Oregon and Washington are similar to Kentucky in that they're mostly red, Conservative states with a few blue cities. My wife and I are a mixture of Liberal and Libertarian -- not your stereotypical "West Coast Liberals," but definitely more blue than red. That's an aspect of Lexington and Louisville that appeals to us.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:22 AM

20,103 posts, read 16,059,193 times
Sounds like Lexington would a good fit for you based on what you describe - a city big enough to have plenty of things to do but small enough not to have all the big city headaches. If you are looking for an urban vibe or a true large city you might want to consider Louisville.

You can live quite nicely in Lexington on a $250-300K housing budget. If you are looking for a easier drive to Louisville (to visit those future grandkids) you might want to look on the Northeast side where there are some nice, affordable newer houses with easy access to I-65. The Northwest has some nice areas but it also has some of Lexington's more troublesome areas so you need to be a little more careful.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:29 PM

7,067 posts, read 16,670,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Sounds like Lexington would a good fit for you based on what you describe - a city big enough to have plenty of things to do but small enough not to have all the big city headaches. If you are looking for an urban vibe or a true large city you might want to consider Louisville.

You can live quite nicely in Lexington on a $250-300K housing budget. If you are looking for a easier drive to Louisville (to visit those future grandkids) you might want to look on the Northeast side where there are some nice, affordable newer houses with easy access to I-65. The Northwest has some nice areas but it also has some of Lexington's more troublesome areas so you need to be a little more careful.
I think that is sound advice.

The OP may also want to consider Shelbyville. Although it is the Louisville MSA, residents there enjoy the best of the bluegrass...the shopping, arts, restaurants, culture, festivals, and museums of Louisville (and the biggest Outlet Mall in the state in your county)...but also all that Lexington has to offer such as alot of charm, rolling green hills with horse farms, UK Chandler hospital, Keenland, college sports, and generally a well manicured, historic college town/city. Lexington also has an emerging restaurant scene on a smaller scale.

Shelbyville would be pretty much midway (well not quite midway, but maybe 30 mins to family, 50 mins to the best parts of Lexington) between Lexington and your family in Pewee Valley. And even though its a suburb of Louisville, it doesnt FEEL that way. Very quaint small town, and even a decent hospital in town. Simpsonville could work too. Lots of growth out there and huge homes at very affordable prices.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:01 PM

Thanks, Peter and Oldhag (it feels weird to write that -- I'm sure you're a charming "woman of a certain age" ). We plan to make two or three more exploratory visits before we move. I suspect we'd be happy in either Louisville or Lexington, so I further suspect that it will come down to whichever neighborhood and house speaks to us when we're ready to buy.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Lexington also has an emerging restaurant scene on a smaller scale.
I found a "Lexington vs. Louisville" thread here started in 2008, and people complained about the lack of ethnic restaurants. I found another thread talking about how much that's changed in the last last five years. And I found another thread in which Krazeekatlady posted a long list of restaurants pulled from Zomato. I was astonished by the variety. During our recent trip to Lexington, we had breakfast at Wild Eggs (excellent) and dinner at Ramsey's Diner (tasty Southern comfort food), and of course bourbon at Woodford Reserve Distillery in Frankfort. In Louisville, we ate dinner at Havana Rumba, which was some of the best food I've ever had anywhere, and reasonably priced. The rest of our meals were home cookin' with our new in-laws.

We're spoiled food-wise in Portland. Unfortunately, we've seen the rise of trendy, pretentious restaurants that we used to associate with NYC. You know the kind: You have to wait an hour to get in. The food consists of overly complex, overpriced "small plates" that leave you broke and still hungry, but if you complain, you're branded as a Philistine. Fortunately, we still have plenty of wonderful, unpretentious eateries, including our famous food carts. When I'm hungry, a $7 bowl of pho is just as satisfying as a $30 plate of hickory-chilled free-range quail served over organic ancient grains and braised dandelion greens in a reduced squid-ink sauce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area