Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 06:30 AM

223 posts, read 314,692 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if there are nice nature walks, lakes, rivers, hikes through the woods, and beautiful nature vistas that can be enjoyed in the immediate Lexington area, without having to drive all the way out to Red River Gorge, for example.

I've heard some sentiment that Lexington is boring to those who aren't interested in horses, basketball or bourbon, and that it's difficult to find activities that don't center around those 3 things.

What's your take on this? Is Lexington boring for someone who doesn't care about horses, basketball or bourbon? Or are the people who say that Lexington is boring missing something? I'm most especially wondering about outdoor activities like swimming, camping, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 07:30 AM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
This might help. There is definitely more to the area than horses, basketball, and bourbon - that just what most people visit to area to see. It is a truly beautiful area, and if you are a green loving fan, Lexington is surrounded by protected farmland and other non-developed land.

Visit Lexington: The Great Outdoors

Old 08-09-2016, 10:21 AM

5 posts, read 7,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Guy View Post
I'm wondering if there are nice nature walks, lakes, rivers, hikes through the woods, and beautiful nature vistas that can be enjoyed in the immediate Lexington area, without having to drive all the way out to Red River Gorge, for example.

I've heard some sentiment that Lexington is boring to those who aren't interested in horses, basketball or bourbon, and that it's difficult to find activities that don't center around those 3 things.

What's your take on this? Is Lexington boring for someone who doesn't care about horses, basketball or bourbon? Or are the people who say that Lexington is boring missing something? I'm most especially wondering about outdoor activities like swimming, camping, etc.
No. Not at all. It's great for the outdoors. There are more navigable waterways in Kentucky than any other state in America, except Alaska. Within 30 minutes of Lexington you'll have plenty of outdoors activities. If you extend it to an hour, you'll be at one of the best rock climbing/hiking areas in the nation--Red River Gorge. It is, in my opinion, the most scenic part of Kentucky.

Central Kentucky (Lexington) is part of a palisade region formed by the Kentucky river--which eventually leads into the Red River, which formed the gorge. Central KY is more rolling hills than large sandstone arches that you'll find in the Gorge.

As far as living in the city, I live downtown. I prefer the older, worn, historic homes to the posh suburban ones. The traffic is easier to manage, unless it's a game/event night. Even then you're walking distance to the best restaurants (80% of which are in the downtown area or at least inner-circle--meaning within the boundaries of New Circle Road). If you don't care about basketball (and it sounds like you don't) you can easily find other stuff to distract you. Lexington is a big restaurant/bar town with a lot of street festivals, pop up markets and a fairly liberal-leaning, arts-centric type of small town. Though there's still 300,000 people proper and 500,000 MSA.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:22 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Guy View Post

I personally think Lexington is very boring for high culture, musemus, art, restaurants and festivals.

But if you love horses, bourbon, rolling hills, college basketball, and college bars, then its great. The restaurant and brewing scenes are not outstanding, but well above the national average and certainly outperform most peer cities. I'd rather be in Lexington than Springfield, Missouri, which is similar in size.

I personally find Lexington to be an excellent outdoor area. As mentioned, even though it has sprawl, it is small enough you can be out in the country from downtown in 15 mins, and there are tons of neat outdoor areas.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:57 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
There are outdoor festivals in and around Lexington almost every weekend from May through October: music ranging from bluegrass to old-time to classical to rock, food, crafts, antiques, art, drama, dance, seasonal festivals - shoot, there was even a zombie festival in nearby small town Cynthiana last weekend! The huge and hugely popular Woodland Arts Festival is coming up quite soon, too, if you like original fine art or juried decorative handcrafted items.

If you venture a little farther, you can attend a Chicken Festival, a Celtic Music Festival, and the 127 Sale, which isn't exactly a festival but certainly is a carnival (and occasionally a zoo). Well, it's too late for the 127 Sale this year - but the others will happen soon.

There are also Civil War commemorations, with both civilian reenactors and military reenactors (often the civvies are more accurate and better informed and more interesting, at least, to me) and other historically oriented events. Check out the Battle of Richmond or the annual Perryville Reenactments this fall.

What sort of festivals do you think we lack around here, Peter? What would you like to see added to the very full calendar of festivals?

Lexington also has a thriving and growing ethnic restaurant scene. Have you tried Brasabana, the newish Cuban restaurant? or Taste of India? Just two of many recent additions.

I would also like to see more and better museums in Lexington. I'd start with the now-in-storage local history museum, and go on from there. But museums take money and usually that money comes from either some benefactor with very deep pockets or from public funding, and raising taxes to pay for a new or expanded older museum isn't going to be an easy sell these days. So - benefactors, where are you??

Old 08-10-2016, 12:35 PM

20 posts, read 22,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
There are outdoor festivals in and around Lexington almost every weekend from May through October: music ranging from bluegrass to old-time to classical to rock, food, crafts, antiques, art, drama, dance, seasonal festivals - shoot, there was even a zombie festival in nearby small town Cynthiana last weekend! The huge and hugely popular Woodland Arts Festival is coming up quite soon, too, if you like original fine art or juried decorative handcrafted items.

If you venture a little farther, you can attend a Chicken Festival, a Celtic Music Festival, and the 127 Sale, which isn't exactly a festival but certainly is a carnival (and occasionally a zoo). Well, it's too late for the 127 Sale this year - but the others will happen soon.

There are also Civil War commemorations, with both civilian reenactors and military reenactors (often the civvies are more accurate and better informed and more interesting, at least, to me) and other historically oriented events. Check out the Battle of Richmond or the annual Perryville Reenactments this fall.

What sort of festivals do you think we lack around here, Peter? What would you like to see added to the very full calendar of festivals?

Lexington also has a thriving and growing ethnic restaurant scene. Have you tried Brasabana, the newish Cuban restaurant? or Taste of India? Just two of many recent additions.

I would also like to see more and better museums in Lexington. I'd start with the now-in-storage local history museum, and go on from there. But museums take money and usually that money comes from either some benefactor with very deep pockets or from public funding, and raising taxes to pay for a new or expanded older museum isn't going to be an easy sell these days. So - benefactors, where are you??
I'll add in the largest Latino celebration/festival is in Lexington every September. The influx of Hispanic residents in Lexington the past 10 years or so has definitely made a positive impact on Lexington--food-wise and culturally.

The largest food and drink festival CRAVE has been held in Lexington the past three years and it's going on it's fourth this weekend.

I'll also add in weekly Farmer's Markets, monthly night markets, 301 market, Al's Bar/NoLi Block Party, Monthly Warehouse District Block Party's, etc, etc.

Good choices on ethnic food but I'll add in a few others that are run/owned by non-American Lexington transplants.

1.) Athenian Grill (Greek food/Mediterranean)
2.) Thai and Mighty (Thai)
3.) Crank and Boom (Ice cream/dessert--same owner as Thai and Mighty)
4.) Tortilleria y Taqueria Ramirez (Hole in the wall tacos, burritos, sopes, lengua, chicharrón, mariscos, etc)
5.) Pasta Garage (excellent Venezuelan owned Italian food)
6.) Nats (SUPER spicy Thai food)
7.) La Deauville (French owned, fairly good french food--mussel and crepes night is a must) BUT MUCH BETTER AT THIS NEXT PLACE
8.)...the previous owners of Table 310 have put all their stock and time into National Provisions/Boulangerie and Beer Hall. They are also French and it's one of the best restaurants in Lexington.
9.) Yamaguchi's (Japanese--He closed the original brick and mortar location with the intent to move back to Tokyo but stayed in Lexington. You can still eat from his food truck).
10.) Sugano's (Sushi) Though he is closing soon. It's a shame. He has wonderful food.
11.) Sav's West African Grill and Sav's Chill (African/Ethopian plus his ice cream joint across the street). Not a huge fan of Sav's food but he's a great person so I go occasionally.
12.) Han Cook In (Korean)
13.) Han Woo Ri (Korean)
14.) La Marquesa (Latin/Mexican)
15.) Pho BC (Vietnamese)

There are too many to list all of.

Craig, I do love Brasabana but, imo, the Cuban food is SLIGHTLY better at Old San Juan although the location is kinda inconvenient. Worth the drive though.

Last edited by datdude1947; 08-10-2016 at 12:46 PM..

Old 08-15-2016, 11:26 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
If you're interested in hiking, Raven Run is about all there is in Lexington. One mile at McConnell Springs. You can walk at the UK Arboretum or Lexington Cemetery, but that's not really in the woods. There are a few nice trails nearby in Georgetown and Frankfort. But most consider it worth the drive to go to the Red River Gorge. There's also the Legacy Bike Trail and several places to kayak on the Kentucky River and nearby Elkhorn Creek. You can also horseback ride at any number of area stables.

I don't consider shopping or eating out (consumerism) "activities," so I can't help you there!

Old 08-15-2016, 12:25 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Lexington has a lot of good parks with paved walking paths. For nature trails McConnell Springs has a short trail, Veterans Park has a lot of unofficial nature trails. The closest real hiking is the Kentucky River palisades trail in Garrard County (near US 27, it's 26 miles from downtown), Pilot Knob in Powell Co (38 miles), Indian Fort Mnt near Berea (42 miles), Red River Gorge or Natural Bridge (60 miles). 2.5 to 3 hours to the SE you have real mountains along the KY / VA border.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:55 AM

Shakertown at Pleasant Hill also has a good many walking/hiking trails of various kinds and levels. You can go down to Shaker Landing, walking down (and back up) through the heavily wooded, steep Palisades, or walk to the site of the old mill, through meadows and on pavement, or sample some of the other trails. Shakertown is about 45 minutes from Lexington, maybe less from the suburbs along Harrodsburg Road.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:59 AM

In addition to the Indian Fort Mountain trails just outside of Berea, Anglin Falls is about fifteen or twenty minutes' drive southeast from downtown Berea and offers gorgeous wooded mountain scenery and a spectacular waterfall. Be prepared to ford the narrow creek, however. Spring ephemeral wildflowers are abundant here.

Like Indian Fort Mountain, Anglin Falls belongs to the college and is open to the public. Both are preserves - picking plants, defacing rocks, littering, etc. are all forbidden, understandably. The college is very generous to allow free public access.

You can find several outstanding videos of various Indian Fort Mountain trails on YouTube - haven't checked for Anglin Falls, but suspect it's online, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area