U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-02-2017, 02:02 PM
 
Location: The Bluegrass State
364 posts, read 710,828 times
Reputation: 230

Advertisements

Back in February I went to a conference downtown and parked next to Rupp Arena. As I was parking a man was following my car until I finally stopped and got out of the car. He came up and asked me if I was from Lexington. I said no and he proceeded to launch into a story about an uncle dying in the hospital and him then running out of gas. He proceeded to ask for gas money.

The problem was that though I may not be from Lexington, I am very familiar with Lexington (living around it my entire life and family members living there through out the years) and his story did not match up geographically at all. The road he claimed to have run out of gas on was nowhere near the hospital he mentioned and also nowhere near the parking lot we where. I referred him to the Salvation Army, which was nearby, and also suggested the Police might help (where I live, I know local law enforcement actually has a system set up to give people vouchers to help in situations such as he was describing.) Neither suggestion was to his liking and he finally walked off, heading for another car whose owner had just finished parking.

I actually made a point of slow walking out of the parking lot as the other driver was an older woman and I wanted to make sure nothing untoward happened.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-02-2017, 03:14 PM
 
Location: Eastern Kentucky Proud
963 posts, read 1,450,579 times
Reputation: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Thanks for the compliments. I emailed neighborhood friends about this guy right after calling the police, when his appearance was fresh in my mind.

No personal response or call back from the police yet. Did call again the morning after, as described, and was told they'd sent a squad car down my street. That would have taken less than one minute to drive - no idea if this street has been added to their regular beat or not. None of my neighbors had this guy knock on their doors (that I know of - still need to talk to a few neighbors).

Nope, no guns - I'll rely on porch lights, good locks, and a burglar alarm system. No guns for me -a major family tragedy associated with a gun guarantees that. And then, I had no idea who was knocking on my door until I got there, and even if I DID have a gun, I can't imagine hauling it to the door every time someone knocks or rings the doorbell. I'd really be the neighborhood crazy guy if that sort of behavior became standard!

Last time I shot a gun was c.1966, target shooting my cousin's .22 down by the Arkansas River just outside of Little Rock. I was a little off to one side - can't even remember which. Guns have little appeal to me.

I do have my g-g-grandfather's Confederate field officer's sword, though...along with my g-g-grandfather, it survived Pickett's Charge. Now, if I answered the door with THAT in hand...the bad guys might really skedaddle (or come back later to try to steal it. No fear, it's well-hidden).
"No guns" well...that's fine. There is a lot of responsibility that goes along with them and, they aren't for everyone. It takes a level head, good judgement, personal training, practice and planning. If you aren't willing to do these don't buy one. But, in the mean time, be very vigilant and aware of your surroundings at all times. Bad guys comes in all flavors these days. It's just a sign of the times. Sad but true.



Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2017, 06:24 PM
 
11,891 posts, read 9,818,100 times
Reputation: 21979
Have to say I feel a few of these recent posts come close to victim blaming.

No peephole? Why not? Well, I have two windows adjacent to my front door, and the clear storm door was closed but the big door open at the time of the incident. No peephole is needed to see who might be at my door.

I already explained my reluctance to have guns in my home and do not need to go into details about a very painful family tragedy involving a gun.

Good grief, folks. I didn't choose ANY of this! I do recognize some of your suggestions are due to concern for my safety, and I do appreciate that. But give me credit for having common sense and handling the situation as well as I could under the circumstances, and for taking care of my personal safety in ways which seem right to me. Those ways did not include looking through a non-existent and unnecessary peephole, or grabbing a handy Glock to intimidate a stranger at my door.

This was not a violent incident at all, but if a gun had been involved - it could have become one. What if I had been physically overpowered and the gun went off? I or my neighbors could have been shot, and even if the person at my door were hit, that sort of reaction is far over the top and uncalled-for. I do not want to be party to such violence.

I did not post about this to ask for suggestions but to alert others to what seems to be a growing problem in my city (and perhaps other communities). A peephole is not a bad idea - if you need one, which I do not. Flashing a handgun is a very bad idea, in my view, and would only serve to escalate the problem, with perhaps extremely tragic results.

For those unfamiliar with my town, I live in what is probably one of the quietest and safest neighborhoods around. Incidents of this sort are very rare, thankfully. Pulling a gun on random door-knockers seems like a very extreme response, especially since such random door-knockers include the kid who mows my lawn, my next door neighbors, neighbors looking for missing cats, and unexpected friends dropping by.

So again, no guns for me. Thanks for your concern, however.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2017, 06:30 PM
 
11,891 posts, read 9,818,100 times
Reputation: 21979
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmagex View Post
Back in February I went to a conference downtown and parked next to Rupp Arena. As I was parking a man was following my car until I finally stopped and got out of the car. He came up and asked me if I was from Lexington. I said no and he proceeded to launch into a story about an uncle dying in the hospital and him then running out of gas. He proceeded to ask for gas money.

The problem was that though I may not be from Lexington, I am very familiar with Lexington (living around it my entire life and family members living there through out the years) and his story did not match up geographically at all. The road he claimed to have run out of gas on was nowhere near the hospital he mentioned and also nowhere near the parking lot we where. I referred him to the Salvation Army, which was nearby, and also suggested the Police might help (where I live, I know local law enforcement actually has a system set up to give people vouchers to help in situations such as he was describing.) Neither suggestion was to his liking and he finally walked off, heading for another car whose owner had just finished parking.

I actually made a point of slow walking out of the parking lot as the other driver was an older woman and I wanted to make sure nothing untoward happened.
You handled this perfectly. Parking lots throughout Lexington seem to be common places for this scenario to occur, and the "out of gas" story seems to be a very commonly used one.

Maxwell Avenue, especially the area between South Broadway and Limestone, seems to be very popular with these grifters. I drove this stretch a few days ago, and spotted a scruffy older, gray-bearded guy on the corner of Rose and Maxwell whose face also appeared online recently in an article about local panhandlers faking homelessness. He was talking with two or three others who looked more like panhandlers themselves than panhandlers' targets.

Glad you stuck around to make sure the older lady was okay.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2017, 06:32 PM
 
11,891 posts, read 9,818,100 times
Reputation: 21979
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrus View Post
"No guns" well...that's fine. There is a lot of responsibility that goes along with them and, they aren't for everyone. It takes a level head, good judgement, personal training, practice and planning. If you aren't willing to do these don't buy one. But, in the mean time, be very vigilant and aware of your surroundings at all times. Bad guys comes in all flavors these days. It's just a sign of the times. Sad but true.



Thanks for understanding, and for your realistic suggestions. You stay safe, too.

(It's not that I doubt my ability to handle a gun responsibly - personal family and philosophical reasons for my aversion to guns come into play).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2017, 06:46 PM
 
Location: San Diego
40,625 posts, read 36,469,420 times
Reputation: 24877
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Have to say I feel a few of these recent posts come close to victim blaming.

No peephole? Why not? Well, I have two windows adjacent to my front door, and the clear storm door was closed but the big door open at the time of the incident. No peephole is needed to see who might be at my door.

I already explained my reluctance to have guns in my home and do not need to go into details about a very painful family tragedy involving a gun.

Good grief, folks. I didn't choose ANY of this! I do recognize some of your suggestions are due to concern for my safety, and I do appreciate that. But give me credit for having common sense and handling the situation as well as I could under the circumstances, and for taking care of my personal safety in ways which seem right to me. Those ways did not include looking through a non-existent and unnecessary peephole, or grabbing a handy Glock to intimidate a stranger at my door.

This was not a violent incident at all, but if a gun had been involved - it could have become one. What if I had been physically overpowered and the gun went off? I or my neighbors could have been shot, and even if the person at my door were hit, that sort of reaction is far over the top and uncalled-for. I do not want to be party to such violence.

I did not post about this to ask for suggestions but to alert others to what seems to be a growing problem in my city (and perhaps other communities). A peephole is not a bad idea - if you need one, which I do not. Flashing a handgun is a very bad idea, in my view, and would only serve to escalate the problem, with perhaps extremely tragic results.

For those unfamiliar with my town, I live in what is probably one of the quietest and safest neighborhoods around. Incidents of this sort are very rare, thankfully. Pulling a gun on random door-knockers seems like a very extreme response, especially since such random door-knockers include the kid who mows my lawn, my next door neighbors, neighbors looking for missing cats, and unexpected friends dropping by.

So again, no guns for me. Thanks for your concern, however.
It's not up to the police to keep you safe. You have no idea what a homeless problem even looks like. Victim blaming, hilarious drama. Good luck, I guess you just wanted to vent.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2017, 07:01 PM
 
Location: Eastern Kentucky Proud
963 posts, read 1,450,579 times
Reputation: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Have to say I feel a few of these recent posts come close to victim blaming.

No peephole? Why not? Well, I have two windows adjacent to my front door, and the clear storm door was closed but the big door open at the time of the incident. No peephole is needed to see who might be at my door.

I already explained my reluctance to have guns in my home and do not need to go into details about a very painful family tragedy involving a gun.

Good grief, folks. I didn't choose ANY of this! I do recognize some of your suggestions are due to concern for my safety, and I do appreciate that. But give me credit for having common sense and handling the situation as well as I could under the circumstances, and for taking care of my personal safety in ways which seem right to me. Those ways did not include looking through a non-existent and unnecessary peephole, or grabbing a handy Glock to intimidate a stranger at my door.

This was not a violent incident at all, but if a gun had been involved - it could have become one. What if I had been physically overpowered and the gun went off? I or my neighbors could have been shot, and even if the person at my door were hit, that sort of reaction is far over the top and uncalled-for. I do not want to be party to such violence.

I did not post about this to ask for suggestions but to alert others to what seems to be a growing problem in my city (and perhaps other communities). A peephole is not a bad idea - if you need one, which I do not. Flashing a handgun is a very bad idea, in my view, and would only serve to escalate the problem, with perhaps extremely tragic results.

For those unfamiliar with my town, I live in what is probably one of the quietest and safest neighborhoods around. Incidents of this sort are very rare, thankfully. Pulling a gun on random door-knockers seems like a very extreme response, especially since such random door-knockers include the kid who mows my lawn, my next door neighbors, neighbors looking for missing cats, and unexpected friends dropping by.

So again, no guns for me. Thanks for your concern, however.
No one suggested you flash a hand gun....that's the last thing anyone needs to do. Fact is some people carry every where they go and you'll never know it and, that means at home also, where this incident took place. Guns aren't intended to intimidate. "Level head, good judgement, personal training, practice and planning"

You're right Mr. Creek...just disregard the suggestion.


Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2017, 10:10 PM
 
11,891 posts, read 9,818,100 times
Reputation: 21979
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It's not up to the police to keep you safe. You have no idea what a homeless problem even looks like. Victim blaming, hilarious drama. Good luck, I guess you just wanted to vent.
And you know these things - how? Have you ever even been to Lexington? Did we ever meet? I don't think so...

So, the job of the police is not to protect the public, in your view? Pray then, what might it be?

You appear to live in coastal California, far from central Kentucky. You have no idea what I may or may not know about Lexington's homeless problem, its causes, sources, etc., or my experience with the homeless problem. I have worked locally with this population professionally and as a volunteer.

Have you?

I can tell you this: a great majority of those panhandling in Lexington are not homeless. They are liars and scammers, many of whom have significant substance abuse issues, who find begging more profitable than work, which acts to the detriment of those who really are homeless and in need of help. They do a disservice to those in genuine need.

I'll continue to direct my giving towards agencies and non-profits such as the Hope Center, Catholic Action Center, Salvation Army, and other groups which provide productive assistance to the homeless and others in genuine need, rather than contribute to the problem by giving to those panhandling in parking lots, intersections - or at my door, high as a kite.

Your take may differ, and that's fine. Just don't stand in judgment of me or mine.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2017, 07:38 AM
 
Location: The Beautiful Bluegrass!
636 posts, read 1,139,337 times
Reputation: 472
Apologize for redirecting the subject somewhat, but I was panhandled in the visitors' parking lot of the KY Horse Park last year! I guess no place is sacred!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2017, 11:53 AM
 
11,891 posts, read 9,818,100 times
Reputation: 21979
Quote:
Originally Posted by PONYPULR View Post
Apologize for redirecting the subject somewhat, but I was panhandled in the visitors' parking lot of the KY Horse Park last year! I guess no place is sacred!
Wow - wonder how much panhandling will be going on at the damp Derby today! (not to mention pickpocketing and other less than socially or legally acceptable behaviors).

And no, you're not redirecting the subject at all, just helping illustrate the scope of it. Did you report the panhandler to park security?

Just a guess - but I bet they tried the "out of gas" story to explain their presence at the Horse Park (which for those unfamiliar with this area, is a very large, state park focused on the history of the horse, located about ten miles from downtown Lexington in a beautiful area of Bluegrass countryside. It has over 200 resident horses of various breeds, several museums, tours, indoor and outdoor arenas, trails, riding opportunities, horse-drawn vehicles for those who do not ride, Southern Lights drive-through during the Christmas season, a great gift shop, a restaurant, a campground, and hosts horse shows of various kinds throughout the year, most recently the Rolex Three-Day Event last weekend, which drew Zara Tindall on High Kingdom, who placed third. Her grandmother is Queen Elizabeth II, who has also visited the Bluegrass on at least four private occasions).

The Kentucky Horse Park was the site of the World Equestrian Games a few years ago. It is a major attraction for tourists and residents alike, and I can see why it would be appealing to panhandlers as well, particularly as out-of-state guests are unlikely to be aware of Lexington's current problems with these grifters.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top