U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 06:59 AM

15 posts, read 14,481 times

Advertisements

Reading back over the comments (thank you all for valuable input!) I wanted to ask if any private schools are more known for athletics than for academics? (Not bashing athletics! Its just our focus in on education). That is not to suggest that if a school is known for strong athletics that academics can not be stellar-- several schools have both! Its just that between the two, our focus is purely the academic side. I have seen far too many private and public schools (all over the world) that focus on one or the other. Or have a wonderful sports program but the rest is left to be desired and while athletics is important and equally valuable to some families (not ours) I know sometimes the star athletes (on star musician or artist or test taker depending on school culture) get away with the pass up. Grades ignored and bad behavior ignored just because they are the star. I just want to know if there are some schools in LEX that have more of this athletic focus. And believe me when I say that I am not Dissing this-- just we are a more geeky family... If my child was the star archer or golfer- I most certainly would be writing asking for suggestions on which school is the most athletic : )

And very well there could be schools in LEX that are unique and able to rock both areas, just haven't seen the rest of the country do both very well... imo

So if say we are trying to decide between Sayre, TLS and Seton school, is one known for being more of an athletic culture pop social culture? If so, we might eliminate that school from our list..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 07:47 AM

11,819 posts, read 9,739,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchmomof3 View Post
Reading back over the comments (thank you all for valuable input!) I wanted to ask if any private schools are more known for athletics than for academics? (Not bashing athletics! Its just our focus in on education). That is not to suggest that if a school is known for strong athletics that academics can not be stellar-- several schools have both! Its just that between the two, our focus is purely the academic side. I have seen far too many private and public schools (all over the world) that focus on one or the other. Or have a wonderful sports program but the rest is left to be desired and while athletics is important and equally valuable to some families (not ours) I know sometimes the star athletes (on star musician or artist or test taker depending on school culture) get away with the pass up. Grades ignored and bad behavior ignored just because they are the star. I just want to know if there are some schools in LEX that have more of this athletic focus. And believe me when I say that I am not Dissing this-- just we are a more geeky family... If my child was the star archer or golfer- I most certainly would be writing asking for suggestions on which school is the most athletic : )

And very well there could be schools in LEX that are unique and able to rock both areas, just haven't seen the rest of the country do both very well... imo

So if say we are trying to decide between Sayre, TLS and Seton school, is one known for being more of an athletic culture pop social culture? If so, we might eliminate that school from our list..
While all three of these schools have sports programs, none are noted for being "jock" schools. Lexington Catholic High School, on the other hand, has a huge sports program and has been known to recruit young athletes. I think Sayre still has an equestrian program, but would need to check on this.

All of the public high schools offer a wide range of sports. Football, baseball, and especially basketball continue to be the most popular, with participation in the Sweet Sixteen boys and girls state basketball tournaments being not too infrequent among Lexington's high schools.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:48 PM

Ah-- I was searching for that word in English, "jock" thank you!!! And thanks for response. I admit that the schools we have looked at so far that do have more of a sports/jock feel haven't felt like they have skimped too much in academics so that is nice. I just, if given the choice of one or the other, want the less jock-ish one. I also need to consider high schools, even though oldest is not quite there, but I bet a lot of the catholic and other private feeders do go to LEX catholic?

We have been house hunting and boy do the LEX houses go fast! Our poor realtor, as soon as she sends a new listing and we get ready to set up, it already has an offer in... Glad to see this part of the country, real estate seems to be moving...

Old 05-22-2017, 12:54 PM

update: We are buying in school district of Tates Creek and after tour, we decided to try it. Excited and looking forward to move
Thanks for all of the help and input
It was hard to not go visit back at some private schools but we are glad to put this to rest (so far!)

Old 05-23-2017, 12:35 PM

9,279 posts, read 5,065,789 times
Congratulations Frenchmomof3.
Welcome to Kentucky. I hope that you and your family will be happy while you are here,
and find success, friendship and hospitality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area