U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 08:45 AM

46 posts, read 238,074 times

Advertisements

And I can vouch that the Herald-Leader has never made a mistake about anything real or proposed.

The design is not finished yet and we are quibbling about the total height of the structure. My, how silly we are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 09:43 PM

13,256 posts, read 10,717,242 times
I think the building looks very modern and would blend in well to Lexington's downtown.

I'm kinda suprised to see the building proposed. There is not a lot of foot traffic downtown and most people in the city prefer more space (big home, big yard) over an urban experience.

Is the building residential, office space, mixed use? If it is residential it will be interesting to see if the building sells its units.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
There is not a lot of foot traffic downtown and most people in the city prefer more space (big home, big yard) over an urban experience.
Please, pray tell, where do you get this impression of the desires of the people in Lexington. Yards in Lexington have been getting smaller and smaller and more useless in the past 20 years.

With street level retail on the periphery, hotel in the mid-section and condos in the upper reaches, don't you think that the foot traffic will increase? All we need now is an enhanced mass transit system and we'll be uptown.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:05 PM

13,256 posts, read 10,717,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartomanlex2 View Post
Please, pray tell, where do you get this impression of the desires of the people in Lexington. Yards in Lexington have been getting smaller and smaller and more useless in the past 20 years.

With street level retail on the periphery, hotel in the mid-section and condos in the upper reaches, don't you think that the foot traffic will increase? All we need now is an enhanced mass transit system and we'll be uptown.

You can examine the city layout to determine what the people of Lexington like. "Most" wouldn't live in Lexington if they didn't like the city "as it is."

It's got great scenery (rolling hills, horse farms, neighborhoods) its just not a very urban city. That's not a bad thing. People in KY in general like their own space, land, etc. Lexington is no different. Lexington is a driving city. There is not much foot traffic around Lexington. That is a fact.

High rises tend to prosper where there is density and foot traffic. Lexington is not that type of city (which is not a bad thing). Lexington is a great city. I don't feel like the high rise proposal will be built however.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:02 AM

528 posts, read 2,276,023 times
Quote:
Lexington is a great city. I don't feel like the high rise proposal will be built however.
that reminds me, when I first moved to greater Lexington, I asked a long time business owner here why there were not more high-rise buildings in downtown Lexington. He laughed and pointed towards Bourbon County and all the horse farms. Told me that for years, the "old money" that controlled things in the area fought off such proposals because they didn't want to look towards Lexington from their beautiful farms and see a bunch of tall buildings....thought it "spoiled "their view.
Interesting story....

Old 03-13-2008, 07:16 AM

Quote:
You can examine the city layout to determine what the people of Lexington like. "Most" wouldn't live in Lexington if they didn't like the city "as it is."

It's got great scenery (rolling hills, horse farms, neighborhoods) its just not a very urban city. That's not a bad thing. People in KY in general like their own space, land, etc. Lexington is no different. Lexington is a driving city. There is not much foot traffic around Lexington. That is a fact.
I have examined the layout. I have been involved in the layout of my fair city for the last 35 years and I can tell you a dirty little secret. The builders don't build what the people want, the tell the people "this is what we build for this price".

Why is Lexington a driving town? Because nothing is built to be convenient to the residential areas, but they all say that they are. Little Johnny can't walk to the corner store for bread or milk, can't walk to school or the park. Work and organized activities are all across town from where the people can afford to live. What will we do when(not if) the price of gas gets too expensive. At that time the foot traffic will be in Lexington. That is fact.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:54 AM

10,226 posts, read 21,705,616 times
The building has been approved. It will be 35 stories and 440 feet tall.

Overview | CentrePointe | Lexington, KY (http://www.cptlex.com/overview.htm - broken link)

Old 07-14-2008, 09:59 AM

6,749 posts, read 20,271,681 times
That is a whole lot prettier than the proposed museum plaza in Louisville.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:47 PM

10,226 posts, read 21,705,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
That is a whole lot prettier than the proposed museum plaza in Louisville.
I still like Cincinnati's new one the best

It reminds me a lot of Charlotte's tallest (although it is over 200 feet taller)

Old 07-14-2008, 02:51 PM

486 posts, read 1,734,317 times
A family friend is one of the architects working on CentrePoint so I've seen the designs and proposals (all 20 or 25 of them). I think the intent is rather obvious as we see downtown starting to gentrify, or at least attempt to. Oh, and Cartoman, I must ask where you get your "dirty little secret" from. With the way Lexington is organized/ designed, it will NEVER be a walking city, no matter how high gas prices get. Why? We have no sidewalks, our mass transit system is absolutely terrible and unrealiable. That's why we drive everywhere. There may be some more foot traffic downtown sure, but if you're implying that Lexington foot traffic will be comparable to cities in Europe I'm afraid you're quite mistaken. I'm in Europe now and will be for most of this summer and the cities here are completely different from how Lexington is organized. You can walk around entire cities here, whereas in Lexington this is virtually impossible. This is a driving city (like most in the US now) and will be for MANY years to come (unless some new and expensive project is created). So is this to become another teebird-cartoman arguement again because really I don't have the energy tonight to sustain one (11 PM here in Deutschland).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area