Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 08:54 AM

46 posts, read 252,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebird1012 View Post
Oh, and Cartoman, I must ask where you get your "dirty little secret" from. With the way Lexington is organized/ designed, it will NEVER be a walking city, no matter how high gas prices get.

So is this to become another teebird-cartoman arguement again because really I don't have the energy tonight to sustain one.
Teebird, Are you trying to start something that is not really there? I believe that we are in agreement. That Lexington is not a walker friendly city. It is not laid out like any European city and except for the downtown area is solely planned for the automobile.

Your comment on "never being a walking city" makes me wonder how you will be getting around when affordable fuel is a thing of the past. That day is fast approaching and may be here when you get out of college.(the price of gas doubles every two years e.g.) How will you get to work? How will you get to Europe? I, for one, hope to be within 2-3 miles of downtown and advocating a streetcar system be re-established in the near future(but it may already be too late for that).

Not trying to argue or anything, just some discussion points and food for thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 04:29 AM

486 posts, read 1,897,392 times
I still never see Lexington as a walkable city, even when gas prices get to that point. I'm sorry, but when a city has no sidewalks outside of downtown, how can it be a walkable city? Maybe we can make changes sure, but the city will never be like a European city in terms of how walkable it will be.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:31 AM

270 posts, read 934,892 times
I know there's been a lot of negative press surrounding the CentrePointe development, but I, for one, think it will make a great addition to our downtown; a huge improvement over the rundown block it is replacing. And personally, I prefer it to the two examples shown from Cincinnati and Charlotte. It's been said that it was originally designed to be built in Atlanta, which may be why I like it so much. I've previously lived in Atlanta for 2 different time spans over the years, and always thought it's architecture was classic and timeless. And before anyone starts bashing me over my support of CentrePointe, it's simply my opinion and a matter of preference.

http://www.cptlex.com/images/ou_mainandupper.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by lexingtony; 07-28-2008 at 07:42 AM..

Old 07-28-2008, 09:13 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
"I've previously lived in Atlanta for 2 different time spans over the years, and always thought it's architecture was classic and timeless. "

Atlanta?!?

"And before anyone starts bashing me over my support of CentrePointe, it's simply my opinion and a matter of preference. "

I won't bash you but I'll disagree. I think the thing looks like Hell and is the last thing we need downtown, I think it'll end up a big empty boondoggle.
What they really need downtown is some lowrise on the street shopping and a -----gasp----grocery store.

Ahhh, I don't think downtown is gonna go much of anywhere anyway. Town boosters like to talk it up but it ain't happenin'.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:32 AM

270 posts, read 934,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
"I've previously lived in Atlanta for 2 different time spans over the years, and always thought it's architecture was classic and timeless. "

Atlanta?!?

"And before anyone starts bashing me over my support of CentrePointe, it's simply my opinion and a matter of preference. "

I won't bash you but I'll disagree. I think the thing looks like Hell and is the last thing we need downtown, I think it'll end up a big empty boondoggle.
What they really need downtown is some lowrise on the street shopping and a -----gasp----grocery store.

Ahhh, I don't think downtown is gonna go much of anywhere anyway. Town boosters like to talk it up but it ain't happenin'.
Hi Tom,

You're free to disagree...that's what makes this country great, ain't it?

Yes, I happen to love Atlanta, despite all her detractors. Everyone perceives things through their own filter, and I suppose it's true that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Would you care to expand on your statement? Is this just a feeling or are there real reasons that downtown will never amount to anything? Could it be that downtown will not be what you want it to be?

I keep reading that these perceptions are out there but I never see any real reasons for these perceptions. I would like to know why you have these feelings.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:04 AM

688 posts, read 3,038,832 times
I think that the recent additions of lofts and other residential options will help, as long as the rest of the supports continue to grow and support it. A walkable grocery store would definitely be a plus.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:10 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartomanlex2 View Post
Would you care to expand on your statement? Is this just a feeling or are there real reasons that downtown will never amount to anything? Could it be that downtown will not be what you want it to be?

I keep reading that these perceptions are out there but I never see any real reasons for these perceptions. I would like to know why you have these feelings.

Sure. I investigated living downtown, looked into renting and also into buying a condo or loft. There's no action, sellers are desperate now and more units are coming on line soon. And there are many empty storefronts and offices too.

Imagine buying a loft at Main and Rose and being a live in owner in a building full of renters. Drive by there at night, damned few lights on. Lots of empty units, many bought by "flippers" who are now seeking to rent the units.

There's no decent practical shopping, if you want to get groceries you're gonna have to use your car. Same thing if you want clothing other day to day items. A few boutiques and restaurants do not make a neighborhood.

I'll tell you what things bring me downtown. The cigar store by the courthouse. The library. Sometimes I take in a picture at the Kentucky and once in awhile get some bread or a sandwich at Sunshine or Giacomo's. That's about it. I used to buy lids at the hat store but he's gone.

Ask yourself this---where are all these people to live downtown supposed to come from? I don't know; my wife and I are prime material, empty nesters, and I wouldn't touch a condo down there with a ten foot pole. When we get tired of subdivision living we'd rather go back to Chicago where we had a condo near the lake before we came here.

I like Lexington but I don't think it's a "downtown" kind of place. And if you want to do something down there you can drive down and park so easily (and cheaply) that actually living there is no great advantage. When we checked out the Gay and diversity festivals a few weeks ago we hopped in the car, had a easy 15 minute drive and then parked for free in a garage in Main. Piece of cake.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:59 PM

168 posts, read 787,702 times
"I like Lexington but I don't think it's a "downtown" kind of place." - Irishtom29

I agree that right now Lexington is not a "downtown" kind of place, but we're taking serious strides on becoming it. With the addition of all the new condos, and of course CentrePointe (which will not only house a great steakhouse, but many other small shops as well) we are indeed getting there. Bike lanes are being added around campus and are expanding into downtown. We, as a city, are taking the needed steps to become a "downtown" kind of place, and I have high-hopes. It's a slow, but rewarding, process.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAbleedsBlue View Post
CentrePointe (which will not only house a great steakhouse, but many other small shops as well)
Which great steakhouse? Is it one that we have heard of? How many other small shops? Are they entrepreneurial or chain? Will they meet the needs of downtown or will they be cutesy shops?

Please do tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area