Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 08:33 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,053,616 times

Advertisements

Downtown has many cute shops and restaurants. What it lacks is the basics.... groceries...

Without the basics, it will continue to be a non-vital space where people can't/won't live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 12:22 PM

168 posts, read 787,565 times
Cartoman,

My loved one is a civil engineer with a firm downtown and has met with The Webb Company on a couple of different occassions. Although I cannot say much, as to not ruin the reputation of his firm or himself, I can tell you the steakhouse options.

The last he heard (and it has not be officially announced so please keep in mind this may change), the steakhouse will be one of three: The Capital Grill, Fleming's, or Morton's. All of these steakhouses have their own websites so feel free (like we did) to look them up. Regardless, any of the three would make it one of the best (if not THE best) steakhouse in town, in my opinion.

The only other tidbit that I'll add is the hotel, which I'm sure you already know, is going to be J.W. Marriott. Althought they pulled their name pubically because of the ridiculous amount of scrutinity they received, they are definitely still a "go."

As information becomes more public knowledge, I'll be glad to discuss other options in the 25,000+ sq. feet of retail space available. I hope you're not too disappointed with the information I am allowed to talk about. I could only hope that Webb has done their job with finding the needs of the downtown area and will fill the available space with such.

Last edited by LAbleedsBlue; 10-29-2008 at 12:32 PM..

Old 10-29-2008, 06:00 PM

270 posts, read 934,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
Downtown has many cute shops and restaurants. What it lacks is the basics.... groceries...

Without the basics, it will continue to be a non-vital space where people can't/won't live.
I agree -- a grocery (with a pharmacy) would go a long way toward making downtown Lexington a more desirable place to live.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:23 AM

46 posts, read 252,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAbleedsBlue View Post
I could only hope that Webb has done their job with finding the needs of the downtown area and will fill the available space with such.
The Webbs have in the past brought in some well known establishments because of requests to do so. Some of them were "fad" type places which quickly faded (The Magic Pan, Laura Ashley) and some just weren't drawing enough to stay in business (FAO Shwatrz, Talbot's). If any of these, or similar, companies come here I hope that the community supports them

This could be just one more round of "Webb Bashing" ammunition.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:04 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,053,616 times
omg - I remember all those stores - I used to LOVE the Magic Pan and FAO Schwartz when I was a kid....

Laura Ashley closed nationwide, not just in Lexington..... and the Talbot's Outlet moved to Hamburg where, I presume, they got a better deal on rent. It is still doing a wonderful business. I liked it better downtown - more convenient.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:45 PM

168 posts, read 787,565 times
"Webb Bashing" - that's hilarious, and unfortunately true.

CentrePointe will be a positive thing for downtown Lexington.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:56 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,799,230 times
It IS sad that those historic structures dating back to 1820-1830 in some cases were razed. But the owners of those establishments are as much to blame as the city council, zoning board, and the Webb brothers. I watched an online-only interview of Dudley Webb by a WTVQ reporter. In paraphrasing, Webb said that if the owners of those businesses wholehearted cared about their establishments and the block, they would have fought and not taken the money that was offered to them.

That summed it up for me. You know, for Lexington to be a city of 275,000 it has a rather pitiful skyline, and you know that if Lexington hadn't taken this that Louisville or Covington would have. It's better for the long term. Oh, and CentrePointe looks a lot nicer than that monstrosity, horrible Museum Plaza in Louisville.

Old 10-31-2008, 03:26 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,487,233 times
Ugh, is there anything more generic than a "steak house"?? Seriously, doesnt Lexington (and most towns) pretty much have that market licked.

I mean, its a downtown location. Put something in that isnt found on every block in the suburbs that'll actually get people down there. Doesnt have to be something totally niche & off the wall, but shouldnt be something so cliche as a steak house either.

Besides, the type of people that usually migrate to downtowns like Lexington are usually the kind who like to break from that suburban mold & aren't your average cats. Most are kinda eccentric, probably some vegetarians too.

At least this is how most cities get gentrified. The eccentrics come first, then the norms follow.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:55 PM

218 posts, read 637,058 times
If your idea of a "steak house" is the suburban model(Ryans, Texas Roadhouse, etc.) then you have not been to a real "steak" house. We have a Columbia's but that is a far cry from the caliber of houses mentioned. What we are talking about is a step up from Sal's or Malone's and located in the downtown area.

The eccentrics are here, and the norms are following.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:33 PM

185 posts, read 404,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
It IS sad that those historic structures dating back to 1820-1830 in some cases were razed.
So true! The noted abolitionist Cassius Clay had an office in that block of Upper St. that was destroyed. It is said that he once had to load a small swivel, and aim it at his door, as crowds approached- demanding that he swing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area