U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 01:12 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,173,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartomanlex View Post
If your idea of a "steak house" is the suburban model(Ryans, Texas Roadhouse, etc.) then you have not been to a real "steak" house. We have a Columbia's but that is a far cry from the caliber of houses mentioned. What we are talking about is a step up from Sal's or Malone's and located in the downtown area.

The eccentrics are here, and the norms are following.
So?? The point I was making is that it doesnt have anything to do with the caliber of steak house, its the fact that it IS a steak house & the market is already saturated with them.

Maybe it will appeal to the out of towners staying in the hotel, but I dont see a lot of Lex residents flocking to downtown for a high-class steak house when they can just stay in the 'burbs & go to a lower-class one for cheaper, especially in this economy. This is how people in Lexington think. And its certainly not gonna attract the eccentric group, thats for sure. They usually dont have a lot to spend & dont eat at steak houses when they do. They're snobby & want stuff out of the norm. No, not an insult, just saying. They wanna be different, which is why they live in downtowns. They're the ones who make forgotten about downtowns cool again, so you gotta play up to them first.

A 4 star hotel with a bit of retail & a steak house isnt gonna attract residents to move downtown. It'll be good for the economy, but wont have the impact you're looking for in that regard.

What would is to get a quality grocery store down there for God's sake (maybe a Whole Foods), get some unique businesses & restaurants that people cant get in other parts of town, get a decent transportation system (yes, I know trolleys are supposed to be coming some day), etc. These things will make downtown attractive to family's as well as young single professionals & not just the young or college crowds who practically own downtown now.

Make downtown Lexington more of a city instead of just a place where the Cats play. Then, I'd seriously consider moving back. As it is now, Lex is just too suburban & cookie cutter. I hope that changes because it could be amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 07:14 PM

218 posts, read 565,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
So?? The point I was making is that it doesnt have anything to do with the caliber of steak house, its the fact that it IS a steak house & the market is already saturated with them.
If that is your point, then substitute just about any genre of business and your statement would be the same. Downtown restaurants in metropolitan areas will primarily serve the visitors and local business workers(before they go home), and then maybe the occasional special night out. Letting the daytime workers go home and then enticing them back downtown is counter productive and wasteful.

CentrePointe is not going to be the attractor of downtown residents that you make it out to be. It will be another piece of the downtown mix and variety necessary for healthy development. It should complement the new condominiums and other projects envisioned for Lexington.

As for a grocery and transit, retail follows population not leads it and real transit or trolleys have not been mentioned except in this eccentric's wish list.

You, like the rest of the suburban cookie-cutter mindset, are waiting for someone else to make the change before you partake of the benefits, and that I hope will change. Make it happen , don't wait for it.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:15 PM

270 posts, read 859,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartomanlex View Post
As for a grocery and transit, retail follows population not leads it and real transit or trolleys have not been mentioned except in this eccentric's wish list.
It seems like the Hamburg development bucks this philosophy. Target and Meijer were there LONG before any of the surrounding housing developments were built. In this case, I'd say the retail attracted the housing.

And I can't help but believe if there was at least a full-service grocery downtown, then more potential residents would find it to be more 'livable' and would relocate.

Although people like the charm and energy of living in a downtown, ultimately, most people choose where they live based on convenience to their lifestyles. If those conveniences were provided, perhaps more folks would choose to live downtown.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:20 PM

10,242 posts, read 21,730,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtony View Post
It seems like the Hamburg development bucks this philosophy. Target and Meijer were there LONG before any of the surrounding housing developments were built.
They are:

1. Right off 2 interstates linking Lex to 700,000 people w/o a major shopping are (Eastern KY)

2. Stores that aren't located in small towns, so people will drive a long way to shop there

There is an area across from Louisville (Veterans Blvd in Clarksville) that isn't near any nice residential areas but is off I-65. The people who come in from Scottsburg, Seymour, etc make up for the lack of nearby people to make the location good

Old 11-05-2008, 02:22 PM

10,242 posts, read 21,730,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtony View Post
And I can't help but believe if there was at least a full-service grocery downtown, then more potential residents would find it to be more 'livable' and would relocate.

Although people like the charm and energy of living in a downtown, ultimately, most people choose where they live based on convenience to their lifestyles. If those conveniences were provided, perhaps more folks would choose to live downtown.
Isn't the nearest grocery store to Downtown the UK Kroger store (on Euclid Ave)?

Old 11-05-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Isn't the nearest grocery store to Downtown the UK Kroger store (on Euclid Ave)?
Yes, I think that would be the nearest one -- or perhaps the Kroger on Leestown, not sure. Either one, though, wouldn't be considered 'walkable' in most folks' definitions, especially for carrying groceries. In my own humble opinion, if I were living downtown, I'd want to be able to walk to the grocery and not have to get in my car.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:
They are:

1. Right off 2 interstates linking Lex to 700,000 people w/o a major shopping are (Eastern KY)

2. Stores that aren't located in small towns, so people will drive a long way to shop there
I agree with your other selling points about Hamburg; I was just pointing out that the housing, in this case, followed the retail development.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:31 PM

218 posts, read 565,389 times
The population being followed in this case, were the subdivisions along Todds Rd. and the extension of Man o' War Blvd with its new interchange with I-75.

The people don't have to be right on top of it just within 1 one mile radius, ergo, they were already there

Old 11-05-2008, 10:33 PM

23,791 posts, read 10,877,359 times
Quote:

And the one on Romany Road, although its not as big. Cute neighborhood though.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:43 PM

168 posts, read 729,944 times
Anyone heard any new developments about the project? The paper has been pretty quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area