Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 09:25 AM

4,593 posts, read 3,239,805 times

Advertisements

I talked about this a couple of years ago, and am still looking at retirement places. Have looked at lots of other places, some literally, some online, some by experience of having lived there. For family reasons we have decided to take another harder look at Danville, Kentucky.

I would love to find out all the goods and bads, while realizing that a place is often what you make of it. Does Center College, for example, offer adult education courses of any kind? Is there anything else to do when you have biked to town and got a cup of coffee on Main Street?

We are what I guess could be described as elderly (strange, I never described myself that way before, but there's always a first time) and so won't be traipsing all over the beautiful countryside hiking or whatever. But we are still active and would like to be able to walk to places.

I've heard a bit about the crime rate. Could it be because of the college? Or other homeless people who have come to hang out in Danville? Or is it something else?

Thanks so much for reading and giving us some insights. We think the town looks beautiful and would suit us in lots of ways, but we want to go in with our eyes open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 07:18 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,332,828 times
Any crime in Danville is not related to Centre College, which is small (1500 students) and elite. It's related to pockets of poverty you have in most small towns. Danville does not have much violent crime and most that occurs is drug or domestic situations not involving innocent bystanders.

The pros for Danville is it has a large downtown with adjacent Victorian neighborhoods, a decent small hospital, friendly Southern culture, and is just 35 miles from Lexington and 75 miles from Louisville. If you want urban, liberal, and diverse it's not your cup of tea.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:08 AM

Location: Mexico and I hate it. I'm trying to move back to the US
186 posts, read 279,376 times
So where in Kentucky is liberal and diverse? 

Old 03-09-2017, 08:27 AM

4,593 posts, read 3,239,805 times
One good thing I found online - Danville has a transportation system, DanTran, which is sparse but at least is there. And there is also a way to get to Lex airport (forgot the name of it). You have to reserve 24 hours ahead and it's $10 round trip. Pretty good! (Provided you can get to it, wherever it is. I think one of the pickups is at the college)

Old 03-09-2017, 05:01 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,332,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensualspirit View Post
Parts of Louisville and Lexington.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:29 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,645,405 times
Danville is okay, and the student body at Centre much more liberal and culturally diverse than the town. I'm retired and just moved back to KY and chose Versailles as far enough away from Lexington metro to live while close enough to enjoy some of the cultural events and KY basketball. Danville was a consideration, just a little too far out for me.

P.S. I lived in Colorado for many years---THAT reflects more of my own political and religious views. But I lived in KY for 17 years and the "conservative" political views in no way reflect the general goodness of most Kentuckians. I just don't talk politics!!! Stick with basketball.

Good things to see near Danville include Shakertown and the Civil War reenactment of the Battle of Perryville.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 03-09-2017 at 07:38 PM..

Old 03-09-2017, 10:41 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,800,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensualspirit View Post
Berea - most diversity courtesy of Berea College.

Lexington and Louisville, to lesser extents and by comparison with the rest of the state.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:53 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,800,458 times
Danville is also home to the Great American Dollhouse Museum, which is not just for little girls. Actually, it's a rather progressive place, though you'd need to read all the labels on the doll houses to pick up on that (child labor, women's rights, and racism are among the topics illustrated by the doll houses, each of which has its own narrative).

Constitution Square is in downtown Danville, across from the Ephraim McDowell House, now a museum, where the first successful abdominal surgery in America was performed. On the other side of the square (which contains historic log cabins and other early structures) is Burke's Bakery, a must stop. Danville is also on the 127 Sale, aka the World's Longest Yard Sale in early August annually.

You can collect beautiful Kentucky geodes in creek bottoms just south of Danville - ask permission first, though.

Centre College offers a remarkably wide array of concerts and other performances, and the Great American Brass Band Festival is held in Danville each June. The Pioneer Playhouse offers summer theatre.

There is plenty going on in Danville, especially during the warmer months.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:25 PM

7,054 posts, read 16,631,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Parts of Louisville and Lexington.
Anywhere inside I-264 in Louisville is SUBSTANTIALLY more liberal than anywhere in KY. And its not even close. Parts of UofK campus in Lex are liberal, but it just feels "different."

Old 03-10-2017, 03:17 PM

6 posts, read 9,732 times
Danville is a charming historical "town". It is a typical small town, not a lot to do but you can enjoy a slower pace, visit the historical sites, walk all over town, enjoy entertainment at Norton Center For The Arts and Pioneer playhouse. There are different festivals during the warm months including the Brass Band Festival although it usually rains that week, lol. Good food, friendly people what's not to love. Danville is centrally located, 1hr to I-75 in Mount Vernon, 3 hrs to the Great Smoky Mtn National Park, 2 hrs or less to Louisville, 1 hr or less to Lexington, many small towns in the surrounding area to visit and enjoy. You could choose Stanford which is only 15 miles away from Danville, is loaded with charm and you could buy my house which is for sale and I could be your tour guide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area