U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2017, 09:20 PM

19 posts, read 23,683 times

Advertisements

My family is considering a move to Lexington and we are keeping our minds open in terms of area. Our constraints are as follows: great public schools, preferably at least an acre, $700k and under. Sometimes schools rate well but don't have a welcoming vibe or open atmosphere to new students and parent involvement. It's this kind of soft data in which I'm interested. I'm listening. What say you?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 07:36 AM

11,823 posts, read 9,739,177 times
Most of Lexington's public schools are quite good academically, but others will have to comment about their current friendliness.

Your budget is okay - but you may need to rethink that one-acre+ wish, as most suburban lots are considerably smaller, and rural zoning restricts development to preserve the distinctive Bluegrass landscape. However, you might be able to find an existing property whose acreage is grandfathered in.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:39 AM

266 posts, read 201,274 times
Look into the Champions, mostly 1 acre plus lots, nice area. Not sure on school district, but I think it is Jessamine County Schools.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:29 AM

11,823 posts, read 9,739,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 426HemiCA View Post
Look into the Champions, mostly 1 acre plus lots, nice area. Not sure on school district, but I think it is Jessamine County Schools.
This is a good point - the zoning I mentioned in my previous post applies to Fayette County, not the surrounding counties. Nicholasville is the county seat of Jessamine County, which also includes the much smaller Wilmore, home of Asbury University, which is academically strong but rather conservative Methodist college/university. Wilmore has an public elementary school, but older kids are bused to Nicholasville.

You might also want to look in Woodford County (county seat is Versailles, pro. Ver-sails), and Bourbon County (county seat is Paris, not Paree. The French influence is more historic than linguistic in Central Kentucky!). Both counties have good public schools, and housing costs are a bit lower.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:22 AM

17,197 posts, read 12,442,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StonewallHC View Post
My family is considering a move to Lexington and we are keeping our minds open in terms of area. Our constraints are as follows: great public schools, preferably at least an acre, $700k and under. Sometimes schools rate well but don't have a welcoming vibe or open atmosphere to new students and parent involvement. It's this kind of soft data in which I'm interested. I'm listening. What say you?
The problem, if you want to move into the area of Lexington proper, is not your price point but the land amount. Acre+ lots are not in huge supply within the Lexington Metro area.

None of Lexington's high schools are truly bad academically, Bryan Station is definitely the weakest but would be considered good in most of the rest of the state. It does however have to most discipline concerns. You might want to consider the Northeast area of the city served by the new high school between Winchester Road and Richmond road past New Circle road. Most of the schools happily welcome parent involvement although select teachers might not. Part of the state school and district report cards include parent volunteer hoursso as long as you aren't a nut as long as you want to volunteer they will run a background check on you and find something you can help with.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:51 PM

15 posts, read 14,481 times
I am benefiting from reading this thread- although nothing to offer so far (were moving this summer with 3 boys) but I have been pleasantly surprised at how lovely the public schools are (and private schools). I wonder at parent involvement at some of the schools. Is it open to any parent involvement...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area