Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2011, 12:09 AM

4 posts, read 7,831 times

Advertisements

We are moving somewhere near Lexington and looking to rent a small farm. We would need at least 3 bedroom. Would like to stay within 30 miles of Lexington as we will be working there. If you know of anything please let me know. Dosent have to be anything big or fancy just somewhere to have a pony and our dog and 3 parrots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 05:33 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,460,386 times
Unless you've got a lot of $$$ you'd need to be outside the horse farm area. All of the surrounding counties, except Madison, have strict farm/ plot size limits that would eliminate small farms that you're looking for. Also land just outside Lex is very expensive.

For the most affordable land with the easiest commute to downtown would be I'd look in western Anderson Co (Glensboro area) or Mercer Co b/c of the access to Bluegrass Pky. Versailles Rd is heavy in rush hour but flows much better than other roads.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:39 PM

146 posts, read 297,746 times
Try looking in Northern Garrard County.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:39 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,245,469 times
They actually rent out farms? I know that sometimes they lease out fields for Tobacco and stuff...but entire farms?

Old 08-21-2014, 02:07 AM

14,756 posts, read 8,090,641 times
Yes, I have seen them for rent before.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Yes, I have seen them for rent before.

My goodness, who would want to pay rent for just a bunch of hard work? LOL

Old 08-22-2014, 12:52 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,622,243 times
We have a 12-acre horse farm on Mercer County that we're thinking of selling on some kind of a lease-to-own arrangement. The previous owners left the house in terrible shape, but the home is historic, and we'd hate to have to tear it down. But at the same time, we're not sure it's cost-effective to fix the house up just to sell it.

We're kicking around the idea of finding a decent, reliable young couple who don't have a lot of money for a down, but would be willing to fix the place up, pay a small monthly payment, and wind up owning the farm. If we work it right, it could be win-win-win. We get a fair price for the property in the end, they wind up with a nice house without having to pay a ton, and a home with a lot of history gets to continue standing and not get torn down for scrap.

If anyone's curious about that, we'd be open to discussing it with someone. It most definitely needs work, though, and is not habitable at this time. I think it's an absolutely beautiful little piece of land, but it's too hilly and rocky to farm anything but horses or goats. Does have a rudimentary stable, too.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:21 AM

I think it's an absolutely beautiful little piece of land, but it's too hilly and rocky to farm anything but horses or goats.

They'll eat everything but the rocks.....well, maybe even the rocks LOL. I've even seen goats strip the lower branches and bark on trees, even eat Poison Ivy and Honey Locust, they've got iron guts of steel!

Old 05-18-2017, 10:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,845 times
I was looking for a small farm to rent online which lead me to this thread. Did you ever find anything? We're looking to rent a small farm too, I'm lexington. We wanted to get out of the city, get a couple of chickens, a couple of ducks and do a garden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area