U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 08:08 PM

969 posts, read 2,499,337 times

Advertisements

I think to most people in Kentucky Lexington seems like a big city. I mean no offense to anybody. When I was a kid living in Ashland, Lexington seemed like a HUGE place. I remember moving here in '85. It seemed really big to me then because it had 3 malls, New Circle Rd and Rupp Arena. A lot of Lexingtonians have moved here from small towns, just like I did. For people that have moved here from larger areas, just keep that in mind as we complain about traffic and other "Big City" stuff!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 12:38 AM

4,114 posts, read 9,490,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEXpert View Post
I think to most people in Kentucky Lexington seems like a big city. I mean no offense to anybody. When I was a kid living in Ashland, Lexington seemed like a HUGE place. I remember moving here in '85. It seemed really big to me then because it had 3 malls, New Circle Rd and Rupp Arena. A lot of Lexingtonians have moved here from small towns, just like I did. For people that have moved here from larger areas, just keep that in mind as we complain about traffic and other "Big City" stuff!
I can understand people complaining about the traffic; shoot, I do. It's terrible and inexcusable for a city as small as Lexington. That's why even though I live just half an hour from Lexington, I drive a little farther to Louisville b/c its freeways and thoroughfares are much more user-friendly and capable of handling large volumes of traffic.

Anyhow, I still live in the community I was raised in. Sure, I thought Lexington was big...when I was 12. That "Big Blue" building, Nicholasville Road, Fayette Mall, and I-75 were enough in my mind to substantiate a "big" city. As I have traveled, I have learned just how small Lexington is, as well as how small its suburbs are and how close they are to the city center. Places like Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, New York, Washington, Chicago, and even Birmingham are real, large cities with more of a real urban vibe and attitude. This is not a criticism of Lexington, just an observation...and one that I know is correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
Since when did Lexington become "urbanized"?? If anything its suburbanized. If you think Lex is truly an urban city, I'd hate to see how you'd react to a real urban setting.
Amen, brother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
The "crime" in Fayette County is negligible, and localized to some obvious (and avoidable) areas. I'm not trying to be a booster here, or have an argument, but really, this is such a safe city. There is NO reason to live in the boonies unless you just adore driving and filling your gas tank.

Of course, everyone should live where they feel at home. I just hate to see newcomers led to believe they must live in the sticks for safety- it just isn't factually accurate.
100% agreed. If a person wants to live in Jessamine, Scott, Anderson, or Woodford County so they can enjoy a more rural lifestyle, that's fine. But why flee to a rural county under the primary or secondary pretense of "high crime?" I'd love to see folks with that mindset even in just Louisville or Cincinnati, much less Atlanta, Chicago, or Houston. 'Nuff said.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:12 AM

10,238 posts, read 19,229,619 times
Traffic in Lexington isn't bad at all. You want bad try Western Ave. in Chicago at 3 in the afternoon, that's bad. In Chicago I wouldn't even take my car out after 2 in the afternoon but I'd take the El or the streetcar.

I lived in Chicago all my life until I came down to Lexington a couple of years ago and Lexington has a nice mix. For a small southern (but not fanatically southern, know what I mean?) city it's fairly liberal and openminded. There are some good used bookstores and a few decent places to eat. What I really miss are good ethnic joints---no Polish or Bohemian places here and the Italian food is wretched and you can forget about a good pizza. No beef stands or hot-dog stands of course. Waffle House is cool though.

One thing that's very tiresome down here is all the Christian business and people wearing thier religion on their sleeve.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:52 AM

2,927 posts, read 7,723,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Traffic in Lexington isn't bad at all. You want bad try Western Ave. in Chicago at 3 in the afternoon, that's bad. In Chicago I wouldn't even take my car out after 2 in the afternoon but I'd take the El or the streetcar.

I lived in Chicago all my life until I came down to Lexington a couple of years ago and Lexington has a nice mix. For a small southern (but not fanatically southern, know what I mean?) city it's fairly liberal and openminded. There are some good used bookstores and a few decent places to eat. What I really miss are good ethnic joints---no Polish or Bohemian places here and the Italian food is wretched and you can forget about a good pizza. No beef stands or hot-dog stands of course. Waffle House is cool though.

One thing that's very tiresome down here is all the Christian business and people wearing thier religion on their sleeve.
Smashing Tomato and Bella Notte's both have good pizza and they're both off Nicholasville Road.

Bella Notte

Smashing Tomato - pizza kissed by the flame

Old 05-28-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Smashing Tomato and Bella Notte's both have good pizza and they're both off Nicholasville Road.

Bella Notte

Smashing Tomato - pizza kissed by the flame

Thanks for the tips. I'm gonna try that Smashing Tomato place today but I'm pessimistic; I don't even see what I consider a good pizza on the menu of either joint.

I like old-school thin crust Chicago old neighborhood pizza; crispy bottom crust and cut in squares and with sausage, green peppers and mushrooms. Pepperoni on a pizza is for young kids IMO.

Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Lexington, Ky Just the facts-800px-chicagothingcrust.jpg  

Old 05-28-2008, 09:57 AM

5,370 posts, read 11,050,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Thanks for the tips. I'm gonna try that Smashing Tomato place today but I'm pessimistic; I don't even see what I consider a good pizza on the menu of either joint.

I like old-school thin crust Chicago old neighborhood pizza; crispy bottom crust and cut in squares and with sausage, green peppers and mushrooms. Pepperoni on a pizza is for young kids IMO.

Thanks again.
Alot of people really don't understand what you mean by a decent pizza if they've never lived in Chicago. SInce I left home, I've never been able to find a decent pizza. It doesn't matter who makes it or how "Chicago" they claim it to be. Deep dish is nice but I too like the thin crust pizzas. We used to go to this little joint near Lincoln Square called "New York's Worst Pizza" and it was awesome.

Anyway...I visited Lexington two weeks ago and I must say, for a city it's size, the traffic situation is just ridiculous. It's sprawl is simply unacceptable. Louisville has a bigger population yet I felt that city was much easier to get around. Just my opinion.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:13 AM

10,249 posts, read 21,735,919 times
Lexington's traffic is terrible, but I disagree that it is a 'sprawling' place. Lexington fits nearly 300,000 people in an area barely bigger than Bowling Green or Owensboro. Fayette County nearly has the same population density as Davidson Co TN, home to Nashville.

In hindsight US 27 should have been made into a 2 lane freeway from UK to the KY River

Old 05-28-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Alot of people really don't understand what you mean by a decent pizza if they've never lived in Chicago. SInce I left home, I've never been able to find a decent pizza. It doesn't matter who makes it or how "Chicago" they claim it to be. Deep dish is nice but I too like the thin crust pizzas. We used to go to this little joint near Lincoln Square called "New York's Worst Pizza" and it was awesome.

Anyway...I visited Lexington two weeks ago and I must say, for a city it's size, the traffic situation is just ridiculous. It's sprawl is simply unacceptable. Louisville has a bigger population yet I felt that city was much easier to get around. Just my opinion.

Yeah Cobalt, Chicago has so many good pizza joints a list would be a mile long. My dad used to go over to the Home Run Inn on 35th St back when it was just a little tavern.

The thing with Lexington traffic is that even when it's congested you just aren't going very far. I live on the Southeast Side off Hays Blvd. and I can drive downtown to get cigars at the cigar-magazine store by the courthouse in no time. I do avoid Nicholasville Road on friday afternoon though.

All in all I gotta say Lexington is pretty damned nice. They have a good newspaper here too.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:46 PM

5,370 posts, read 11,050,510 times
My first impression of Lexington wasn't favorable, but I am definately willing to give it another visit. It just seemed very spread out and sprawl-ish.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:31 PM

891 posts, read 2,805,102 times
IMO-If you concentrate on inside of New Circle Rd you will discover the charm and personality of Lexington. The other defining part of Lexington is the beautiful horse farms. These two areas are really what sets Lexington apart from anywhere else.
Once you are outside of New Circle, and particularly outside of Man O' War, it becomes what I call "Generica". In other words just another generic American town that you can find in any state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area