U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 05:58 PM

969 posts, read 2,497,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtongal View Post
IMO-If you concentrate on inside of New Circle Rd you will discover the charm and personality of Lexington. The other defining part of Lexington is the beautiful horse farms. These two areas are really what sets Lexington apart from anywhere else.
Once you are outside of New Circle, and particularly outside of Man O' War, it becomes what I call "Generica". In other words just another generic American town that you can find in any state.
Generica?!? Just about every house inside of New Circle Road is common in just about any other town. The 50's Southland ranch or the 30's Kenwick bungalow are just about anywhere there was "New" development during those time periods. I think you just don't like new construction. I don't mean that in a mean way or anything. I have lived in old houses and am in my first "Generica" home. I too use to think like you. Ever seen pictures of Levittown NY? Talk about generic. From the documentaries I have seen the place now has alot of character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 05:58 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,203,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtongal View Post
IMO-If you concentrate on inside of New Circle Rd you will discover the charm and personality of Lexington. The other defining part of Lexington is the beautiful horse farms. These two areas are really what sets Lexington apart from anywhere else.
Once you are outside of New Circle, and particularly outside of Man O' War, it becomes what I call "Generica". In other words just another generic American town that you can find in any state.

I agree totally. But what's unusually nice about the generic part as Generica goes is that it's so close to the charming parts. I can jump in my convertible, put the top down and in two minutes be cruising gorgeous back roads in the horse country or be headed down to lunch at the bottom of the Kentucky river gorge. Or be sitting smoking a cigar at the site of Boonesborough and pondering the fate of Pompey, the Black Shawnee killed during the siege.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:04 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,171,435 times
Bah, for the most part almost every house in Lexington has that "paper & scotch tape" look using cheap vinyl siding with a big garage prominent in the front with the next house being like mere inches apart from yours.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:35 PM

10,226 posts, read 21,705,616 times
There are actually a lot of large houses built in the 1990s which have a Victorian character to them. Take a drive down the Pin Oak lined Wyndam Hills Drive sometime and tell my that is generic

Old 05-28-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
Bah, for the most part almost every house in Lexington has that "paper & scotch tape" look using cheap vinyl siding with a big garage prominent in the front with the next house being like mere inches apart from yours.
Yeah, so what makes you so refined? It's what goes on inside the house that counts not the style. The character of the people not the character of the building.

It's funny that when houses are seperated only by a couple of feet (a gangway) and made of cheap common brick but are in Bucktown or some other trendy Chicago neighborhood, then it's cool.

I detect in contempt for common housing a contempt for common people.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Yeah, so what makes you so refined? It's what goes on inside the house that counts not the style. The character of the people not the character of the building.
Nothing. I'm not above living anywhere. I've lived in everything from those types of houses to crap holes with roaches to beach bungalows to small shoe box apartments in big cities. Just saying the average mid to higher end home in Lex that was built fairly recently in the suburbs is cookie cutter & cheaply built. You'll be hard pressed to even find newer homes that are brick that don't cost a bloody fortune. Am I wrong??

I didn't say anything about people so lets not get derailed. Thats totally not the point.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:54 AM

2,927 posts, read 7,716,004 times
Patchen Wilkes off Winchester Road is something really different for Lexington. The houses are actually not like all the other houses in town.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Patchen Wilkes off Winchester Road is something really different for Lexington. The houses are actually not like all the other houses in town.

Those are very nice houses, about the nicest I've seen. I like that concrete siding in pastel colors. I think it's a somewhat poor location though. The same or similar houses are being built by the same fella off old Chilesburg Road.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:00 AM

969 posts, read 2,497,124 times
I think it is kind of funny how people critize newer parts of town. My neigborhood is only 10 years old. Over the holiday weekend I was invited to a neighbors house who was having other neighbors over for a cookout. I was sick and could not attend. Two of my neighbors stopped by a couple days later to see if I was feeling better. The host of the cookout told me to send my kids up to her house so I could get some rest. With a community like this, I don't really care that I have the same house (just with different vinyl siding colors) on either side of me!

I am really into cars. I love to drive. To most people a car is just something to get you from Point A to Point B. I live out here for the same reason that the "Generica" bashers choose cars like a Toyota Camry: I just wanted something low maintenance that serves my needs well! I have spent the past 10 years working on my last 2 old houses. I am ready for a break!!

Old 05-29-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEXpert View Post
I live out here for the same reason that the "Generica" bashers choose cars like a Toyota Camry: I just wanted something low maintenance that serves my needs well!
No ones bashing anything. I don't recall anyone being mean or cruel or calling the houses "dumps" or anything like that. That would be bashing.

Just saying something is typical, built cheaply or generic isn't an insult. Heck, I've owned 2 newer houses in Lex that were like this & I knew it when I owned them they they were generic cookie cutter homes & built as cheaply as possible (and usually 2 story to save $$ on land costs). They just weren't very "solid". I honestly didn't care because I just needed a home in a decent neighborhood that I could resell in a couple years.

This seems to be a common theme in Lex as of late. Thats all. I don't think anyone can deny that.

BTW, I think most people put a lot more emphasis on their homes & where they live rather than what car they drive to get around in. At least they should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area