U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 10:54 AM

2 posts, read 5,041 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate to Lexington, sometime in the near future. Depends on how quickly we can sell and find another house, etc.etc.

I want to know the inside scoop on everything-air, water, quality. and anything else you would want to know but didn't if you were moving there.

I asked realtor about growing pains as we were in traffic everywhere we went thru neighborhoods around New Circle. She had some answer to attempt to minimize what I could see for myself, but it didn't really work.

Reading about water/drainage problems recently (dec 07) What is the plan and what does this mean to home owners?? Cost?? digging up yards, streets, neighborhoods??

I would definitely appreciate any and all info and websites etc that can give me the kind of information I'm looking for. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 07:26 AM
PAB

6 posts, read 11,753 times
Default Just the facts....

We have lived here for almost two years....moved from Texas and we are now relocating back in June. I did a lot of research, have two kids 12 and 16.

Where exactly are you wanting to live? The realtors here make money by default. It's a cozy little club and with recent economic woes, they do not seem to understand that it is not business as usual. When we bought in 8/06, most builders would not budge off of asking price....realtors would not even think of using price per sq. foot or compariables??? It was "location" dictates price. Now, today different story with builders.

With respect to water I live in Georgetown (20 minutes from central Lexington) and do not have any problems with drainage or flooding. We are in Victoria Estates and the air quality is wonderful, beautiful scenery and over 1 acre lots. It sounds like you are looking in Lexington and I am not familar with your question regarding that---shopping in this city is not good coming from a large city (Houston, Texas) however, Georgetown will be building a huge upscale center to be finished by 2010 and therefore we will not have to compete with the two areas; Fayette Mall and Hamburg to shop. I love this community--it's just not helpful to be here trying to sell a home.

Be very careful regarding the price range and if you think you may move within 2-3 years. The bottom fell out regarding home resell ability, even though the local realtor organization thinks it's BAU-- home sales in most surrounding counties fell 40-51% from 07 to 08, especially homes over say $375,000. Source, Lexington Herald. We are moving back to Texas (Austin) due to my husbands job change---the company we moved here for laid off after 6 months. There are not many corp. type companies here and not much relocation for business.

FYI----If I had to do it again, I would not have bought a house over $400,000 or put 20% down as we have not had much luck selling our brand new home on acre in development that has nice size lake, equestrian center and some homes on local river. We are leaving in June and renting in new city. I may have to rent out our home if it does not sell by September. If staying in this area for good, then Scott, Jessimine, Woodford counties are excellent choices and great deals to be found.

If there is a question mark then really look at areas that have resell ability.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:03 PM
Ame

13 posts, read 52,817 times
I recently moved from Lexington. I hated the traffic there. There are no real expressways. It seemed like there was a new stoplight on Nicholasville Rd. (one of the main arteries) every year. Although, Lexington is growing, many people think that adding the necessary infrastructure will eliminate the “small-town” feel. I recommend living very close to where you work. Many people love Lexington, but the traffic made me miserable.

Of course, it depends on where you’re moving from. People from larger cities don’t think Lexington traffic is bad at all.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:35 PM

10,234 posts, read 21,711,116 times
Lexington traffic is terrible when UK is in Spring/ Fall semesters, and moderately bad the rest of the time.

The commute coming in from Versailes Rd or from the Northside along Leestown Rd or Newtown Pike. Personally, I'd recomend living in Versailes (just 10 miles from Downtown/ UK) or some of the new developments along Leestown Rd outside New Circle.

The worst commute by far is coming from Jessamine Co on US 27 or US 68.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:15 AM

969 posts, read 2,497,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAB View Post
Where exactly are you wanting to live? The realtors here make money by default. It's a cozy little club and with recent economic woes, they do not seem to understand that it is not business as usual. When we bought in 8/06, most builders would not budge off of asking price....realtors would not even think of using price per sq. foot or compariables??? It was "location" dictates price. Now, today different story with builders.

FYI: You pretty much always pay what the builder is asking, even in today's market. The reason is that it will mess up the appraisal for the next home of the same model that the builder sells. Also, builders don't want one customer to find out that a neighbor got the same house for less. There are exceptions, such as the last few houses in a phase, or if the builder reaaaally needs some cash, or is going broke! Most builders would rather throw in upgrades for free, or do some other concessions rather than reduce the list price.

I am not trying to start a fight here, but I wanted everybody on the forum to know how it really works from somebody who has sold new construction both before and after the slowdown.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:15 PM

1,714 posts, read 5,543,645 times
Eh, traffic is only bad if you live in those far-flung suburban areas or out-of-county. Inside the circle is best if you work inside the circle, and there are neighborhoods at every price-point all
over town.

As much as I adore Woodford County, I would never live there unless I worked there. JMHO. I've done that drive for a daily commute and it absolutely bites. After a while the scenery fades, and all you see is the freak who is tailgating you. Skip that!

To the OP: where are you thinking of living/working? Your "just the facts" will vary widely by location. Most of my knowledge is of Southland and downtown, as well as Woodford County, so if that helps, I'm glad to provide plenty of info about the pluses/minuses of those areas.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:12 AM

9 posts, read 29,986 times
I live in Nicholasville, wonderful place to live but the commute is from hell. You could commute from Richmond which is a number of miles further much more quickly.
Versailles and Georgetown are nice. Lexington is ok if you don't mind the crime and other undesirable elements that go along with living in an urbanized area, or can afford to live in a nicer area within Fayette county.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:37 AM

1,714 posts, read 5,543,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotaas View Post
Lexington is ok if you don't mind the crime and other undesirable elements that go along with living in an urbanized area, or can afford to live in a nicer area within Fayette county.
The "crime" in Fayette County is negligible, and localized to some obvious (and avoidable) areas. I'm not trying to be a booster here, or have an argument, but really, this is such a safe city. There is NO reason to live in the boonies unless you just adore driving and filling your gas tank.

Of course, everyone should live where they feel at home. I just hate to see newcomers led to believe they must live in the sticks for safety- it just isn't factually accurate.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:08 PM

458 posts, read 2,154,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
The "crime" in Fayette County is negligible, and localized to some obvious (and avoidable) areas. I'm not trying to be a booster here, or have an argument, but really, this is such a safe city. There is NO reason to live in the boonies unless you just adore driving and filling your gas tank.

Of course, everyone should live where they feel at home. I just hate to see newcomers led to believe they must live in the sticks for safety- it just isn't factually accurate.
I'll second that. This is not a "city" city except in places that you would realize immediately might be a little unsafe. This a great, friendly, safe place to live.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:18 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,171,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotaas View Post
Lexington is ok if you don't mind the crime and other undesirable elements that go along with living in an urbanized area, or can afford to live in a nicer area within Fayette county.
Since when did Lexington become "urbanized"?? If anything its suburbanized. If you think Lex is truly an urban city, I'd hate to see how you'd react to a real urban setting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area