Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 11:51 AM

14,768 posts, read 8,099,433 times

Advertisements

Wallet Hub ranked Lexington as the fifth best-run city in the United States.
Overall, Kentucky did pretty well Louisville was ranked in the top ten best run cities also, at number 10.

Lexington is 5th best-run city in the country, new ranking says | Lexington Herald Leader

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-run-cities/22869/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 12:12 PM

4,605 posts, read 3,297,213 times
Interesting.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:18 PM

461 posts, read 545,855 times
What I take from that list is that it really doesn't matter. Is everyone leaving NYC and Washington DC? No one is ever going to move there again?

Old 07-10-2017, 07:14 PM

811 posts, read 887,893 times
That wallet hub analysis pretty much sums up why I moved away from my hometown, the desolate wasteland of Cleveland, Ohio. Many cities in the lower tiers for variables such as infant mortality, poverty, unemployment, and education were rust belt cities and deep South cities. Lexington is a beautiful, clean and economically health city and Kentucky seems to really be on the upswing. I am very happy to call this area home now.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:41 PM

833 posts, read 657,225 times
LEX is one awesome place with a great atmosphere. It's people are friendly and it offers great choices in all areas. Glad to see it is doing well.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:34 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,799,230 times
I have no doubt that Lexington is well run. It has been well run since at least the Pam Miller mayoral years of the 1990s, and I'm sure earlier. My only real complaint about Lexington government within relatively recent history is that I feel like the Scotty Baesler mayoral administration in the 1980s dropped the ball in many ways on the conceptualization and subsequent construction of Man O' War Boulevard.

That out of the way, even if Lexington is the fifth best run city in the U.S., it is also, undoubtedly, one of the most monocultural cities of its size in the U.S. I swear, Lexingtonians are more obsessed with their Wildcats than New Yorkers are about their Yankees, Los Angelenos are about their Dodgers, or Manchesterians are about their United. Sheesh...

Old 07-23-2017, 09:13 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,891,510 times
I agree with much you say, expect about "monoculture" - I'd term it "dominant culture", as there are many folks here who don't care a whit about the Wildcats, but who have a wide variety of other interests and hobbies.

Seek, and ye shall find...

Old 07-23-2017, 10:32 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,994,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
I agree with much you say, expect about "monoculture" - I'd term it "dominant culture", as there are many folks here who don't care a whit about the Wildcats, but who have a wide variety of other interests and hobbies.

Seek, and ye shall find...
I sure didn't notice that my first time traveling thru Lexington ( November 2012 )

We stayed at a motel on the southern edge of Lexington and the Wildcats were playing Gardner-Webb that night.

The next morning, everyplace we stopped............checking out at motel, café, gas station......the talk was..........What in the world happened ?

Old 07-23-2017, 11:28 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,891,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I sure didn't notice that my first time traveling thru Lexington ( November 2012 )

We stayed at a motel on the southern edge of Lexington and the Wildcats were playing Gardner-Webb that night.

The next morning, everyplace we stopped............checking out at motel, café, gas station......the talk was..........What in the world happened ?
Well, no, you probably wouldn't have picked up on all the "sub-cultures" in Lexington if you just were passing through and spent all of one night here five years ago.

There are music and dance groups, ranging from traditional to orchestra and ballet, storytelling groups, book clubs, historic preservation organizations, railroad groups, creative writing groups, collectors' clubs, cat shows, dog shows, tropical fish shows, iris shows, genealogy groups, rock collectors' groups, dinner groups, bonsai groups, arts and craft fairs, theater in the park (and in various theaters), opera, swimming clubs, tennis clubs, country clubs, pickleball groups, golf clubs and groups, horse-related groups and activities - and lots of them - gardening groups, rock climbing groups, spelunking groups, other-sports-than-the-Wildcats groups, theatre groups, movie buffs, cookery groups, boaters, model rocket groups, hiking groups, political groups, advocacy groups for various causes, travel clubs, and far more.

This is just a sampling of what goes on around here. In addition to lots of folks who enjoy non-Wildcat activities but individually, not as part of any group, and folks who love the Wildcats - but who love lots of other things, too. The Cats are just more visible, on the surface - you have to dig a little deeper and stay a little longer to discover the rest. So come see us again - and stay a little longer next time.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:51 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,524,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
... Manchesterians are about their United. Sheesh...

I believe the demonym is Mancunians, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area