U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2008, 09:59 PM

6 posts, read 13,312 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. My husband and I have been talking about moving to the area but we are very unfamiliar with it. How is the job market there? My husband is a mechanic/cop and I work in a pharmacy. Also we have a daughter who is 2. Here are some of the things we are looking for.

-Great schools
-House on some land (preferably 5+ acres) or just land
-Close to shopping and restaurants since I'm a subarb girl (my husband is a country guy)

We would actually like to have as much land as we can. I know our price range here is 150,000. Is that a decent range there?

What about weather. We were really sure about the weather there. We knew it was varied.

We don't mind a drive to downtown lexington. Maybe 45 minutes? We prefer things closer to the southern side. Any replies would be really helpfu! Thanks!

Also, does anyone know any good websites for looking at houses????

Last edited by ajtenn0213; 03-11-2008 at 10:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 03:49 PM

714 posts, read 1,415,523 times
I am going to suggest Richmond, or Nicholasville. Richmond is about 20 minutes from Lexington and Nicholasville is about the same. BUT you will be able to find houses with land in those places. In Lexington you might not be able to find something on 5 acres for $150,000. The best site to do a home search is LBAR.com that stands for Lexington Bluegrass Association of Relators. They will also have listings for surrounding counties. There are many good ones to choose from and I think the public school systems are better in the surrounding areas! Good Luck! I'm in Lexington if you decide to move here I am a Relator let me know and maybe we could chat. Just FYI- make sure you use a Realtor no matter where you decide in Kentucky. It is free to buyers and it will be a great help with answering your questions and making sure everything is in order! Good Luck!

Old 03-14-2008, 12:24 PM

969 posts, read 2,496,758 times
What do you do in Pharmacy? My wife is a Pharmacist here in Lexington. Pharmacists are in high demand and there seems to be a strong demand for techicians as well. Do you prefer retail/ clinic/hospital? I'll ask her if she knows of anything.

Land under $150k less than 45 minutes to Lexington? Nicholasville and Richmond are good ideas. If you don't mind using ALL of those 45 minutes, check out Lancaster. It is just south of Nicholasville and alot cheaper. Berea, which is just south of Richmond, is a great little town right off I-75. If you don't mind going east of Lexington, Mt. Sterling has alot to offer. It is an easy drive to Lexington since it is right off of I-64.

Wherever you choose, be sure to find a realtor that not only knows that town, but has experience in selling acreage. I am a realtor, but I don't think I would be the best pick for you since my knowledge is more in the suburban Lexington/ Winchester/ Nicholasville area.

Good Luck, and let us all know where you end up!!

Old 03-15-2008, 03:54 PM

486 posts, read 1,734,146 times
Just from living in Lexington all of my life, I think you will have a bit of trouble finding a large lot and house for $150,000. Housing in Lexington is the most expensive in Kentucky (even more than Louisville), but you should check Nicholasville and Richmond as mentioned twice before. Traffic from Richmond will be much less congested than coming from Nicholasville (I 75 from Richmond vs. US 68 and US 27 from Nicholasville). However, compared to a large metropolis, traffic here is a breeze (I learned to drive in Indianapolis and Washington DC). Berea is about a 35 minute drive southeast of Lexington, just past Richmond.

For schools, DO NOT USE Jessamine County Schools!! Nicholasville is a great place to live, but the schools there are absolutely terrible. Many people I know who live in Nicholasville go to private schools in Lexington. Madison County Schools are decent, but don't stand up quite as high as Fayette County. There is a great selection of choices for schools in Lexington. I'm a junior at Sayre, a very small prep school in downtown Lexington, but tuition is getting ridiculous now (thank god I only have one year left or I couldn't afford it). Also in Lexington are: LCA (LEX Christian Acad. k-12), LC (LEX Catholic High), TLS (The Lexington School k- 8) and Sayre is k- 12. Fayette County Schools on the whole are pretty good, but you need to choose where you live carefully to ensure you are in a good school district, but most schools on the south side are generally pretty good.

The south and east sides of town have the most shopping choices. SE side has Hamburg Pavillion, a massive sprawl of shopping, housing, and just about everything you can think of. S side has Fayette Mall which currently is one of the two largest malls in the state (along with Mall of St. Matthews in Louisville). Part of the reason that traffic on US- 27 (Nicholasville Road) is so bad is because of Fayette Mall and five other large shopping centers located within 1/4 mile of each other so you have everybody from the entire region scrambling to one part of town. The reversible lanes don't really help either. All major chain restaurants (PF Changs, Abuelos, Tony Roma's, Applebees, Friday's, etc. can be found around these two areas as well as other parts of town.

Any other questions, please ask!

Old 03-15-2008, 09:52 PM

486 posts, read 1,734,146 times
Thinking back on my last post, I forgot to add some things.

Where are you moving from? If you are not used to high humidity, I strongly suggest you acquaint yourself with it. Come late April and early May, temperatures start rising along with the wonderful 90- 100% humidity typical of the southeastern USA. Summers are extremely sticky with temperatures hovering around 90- 95 degrees plus humidity. and I quit playing varsity soccer at my school because I couldn't take conditioning practices in August and September. Winters here are cold, but not unbearable compared to someplace like Boston. Usually we average around 35 degrees, right above freezing so instead of snow, we have freezing rain and ice which can make driving a pain, but usually it melts the next day.

As for real estate websites, check out Prudential and Turf Town Realty (Turf Town Properties) as well as LBAR.com. Because I'm only 17, I'm not much help in this department, but I wish you the best of luck.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:03 PM

6 posts, read 13,312 times
Thanks everyone so much for all the help! I definitly have a lot to think about. We're moving from the memphis area so the weather actually sounds about the same, so that won't be hard to get used to. We're going to come a visit sometime in the next few months to get a better idea as well. and maybe look for some jobs too. I'm a pharmacy tech for retail (walgreens) but I'm thinking about going to a hospital. Not sure which one would be better. Anyway, thanks for all the help! Anymore suggestions would be appreciated!

Old 03-18-2008, 08:36 PM

3 posts, read 17,961 times
Default Move to Lexington

Let me tell you we have loved living here in Lexington. Moderator cut: edit My personal opinion about the schools is that you won't get much better than LCA. It is located on Nicholasville Rd on the Southwest side of town near the Fayette Mall. Nicholasville Rd is quite busy, but nevertheless a great road to live/work near because of it's great access to everything. Another great area to look is off of Tates Creek Rd. If you would like to live outside the city but have a straight shot downtown, that would be a great place to look as well. Lexington has many great places to live that give that small town feel but still have the great conveniences of a large metropolitan area. Good luck and let me know if I can help you in any way. Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by christina0001; 03-30-2008 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: real estate agent advertising

Old 03-24-2008, 12:45 PM

4 posts, read 9,915 times
I am a Real Estate Broker in Berea,Ky.A small town about 30 mins. South of Lexington.A great place to live and raise your daughter.Its the "Arts and Crafts Capital" and home of Berea College. Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by christina0001; 03-30-2008 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: real estate agent advertising
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or