Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2016, 12:06 PM

72 posts, read 155,924 times

Advertisements

Very little info on C-D regarding Richmond, Ky. Looking at it from the prospect of retirement, but what I have found online is not very complimentary: crime above average, heavy on drugs and alcohol abuse, police department out of control. The consensus is the bad heavily outweighs the good. I don't wish to move to a town that is barely holding on. What is the truth? I don't think I would ever be happy in a larger city like Lexington, but don't want to be stuck in a place where many people are advising to leave as fast as you can because Richmond has virtually nothing to offer. What say ye, yay or nay?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 12:23 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,807,793 times
What about Richmond attracts you? It is a nice enough town, with cultural activities tied to Eastern Kentucky University, and its proximity to Lexington and Berea are additional pluses. The Battle of Richmond site (Civil War battlefield) adds historical interest.

But Lexington is surrounded by a ring of smaller towns, many of which have lots of attractions of their own. Berea, just twelve miles south of Richmond, is smaller, but offers a lot more for its size, I think, and is just 45 minutes from downtown Lexington.

So - nothing really wrong with Richmond, but do consider other options. Hope you find the place that's right for you.

Old 01-24-2016, 05:22 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,344,398 times
I went to school for a year and a half in Richmond. The dislike for it is way overblown. Only a small section east of downtown has issues with petty crime or drugs. Richmond otherwise is in my opinion the 2nd best town surrounding Lexington because of the large amount of shopping, several of the best public schools in the metro, home to a decent size hospital, and close to hiking in the mountains and the scenic Kentucky River valley.

Old 01-24-2016, 05:55 PM

14,675 posts, read 7,976,460 times
I have never really heard that much bad about Richmond, so I am not sure as to where you are getting this...
It's kind of hard to imagine Richmond, being a den of crime and corruption....Come on down and visit us yourself to see what I mean.

It's listed as one of the best places in the states for Retirees

Kentucky 55 Plus Retirement Communities and Homes, Best Small Towns

Quote:
In many ways, students and seniors favor similar amenities: cheap and diverse food, moderately priced and right-sized housing, and access to good transportation. Plus, teaching-hospital affiliations bring the vital convenience of cutting-edge healthcare right to the edge of campus."University communities have a higher percentage of people with bachelor's degrees or more and per-capita income tends to be higher," says Gary Abney, an agent at Prudential Don Foster Realtors and Chair of the Board of Regents for Eastern Kentucky University in Richmond, Ky.
Retirees in Richmond take advantage of the university's library, gym, a performing arts center, and an international film series. The school's Division of Continuing Education and Outreach offers some 120 courses ranging from writing to genealogy to American Sign Language. The school is invested in its community; individuals age 65 or older are entitled to enroll in community education classes for a small processing fee because of O'Donnell Scholarship funding.
For Retirees, the Allure of College Towns - US News

Old 01-25-2016, 09:26 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,858,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavenderlady3388 View Post
Very little info on C-D regarding Richmond, Ky. Looking at it from the prospect of retirement, but what I have found online is not very complimentary: crime above average, heavy on drugs and alcohol abuse, police department out of control. The consensus is the bad heavily outweighs the good. I don't wish to move to a town that is barely holding on. What is the truth? I don't think I would ever be happy in a larger city like Lexington, but don't want to be stuck in a place where many people are advising to leave as fast as you can because Richmond has virtually nothing to offer. What say ye, yay or nay?

"What is the truth?"....You can't handle the truth.

Old 01-26-2016, 04:07 AM

72 posts, read 155,924 times
Thanks for your info everyone. I will subscribe to the local paper and watch what happens in and around town. My interest in the town was sparked by a home I saw there that met my stringent requirements...not something to be taken lightly.

Hogsrus I am going on the assumption that all or most of the negatives I read about Richmond are not to be dismissed. If you have solid information pertaining to this, you should share and further educate us. I can't imagine why you are being so coy. It doesn't move the conversation along and trolling doesn't pay much.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:09 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,344,398 times
//www.city-data.com/city/Richmond-Kentucky.html

5 murders since 2001 and overall a low crime rate. Stats are toward the bottom of the page.

Hogs is just being sarcastic. I don't think he has any inside info.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:30 AM

17,264 posts, read 11,098,319 times
I'm also looking to retire in Kentucky at some point in the future. I find it difficult to get a good grasp of the current crime rates and recent trends in crime because some sites like CD haven't been updated since 2013 and there are conflicting reports depending on what site you use to gather information.
For my own purposes, I've ruled out Richmond because I really want a smaller town. That being said, Richmond like most towns around Lexington seems beautiful and the crime rate compared to some other towns is higher but still not too bad depending again on what site you use to find these stats. Towns like Harrodsburg and Lawrenceburg have smaller populations, but the crime rate is significantly lower.
Here's another site which is not so kind to Richmond's crime rate. I don't know how recent this information is but I think it's current and worth taking into consideration.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-28-2016 at 07:04 AM..

Old 01-26-2016, 07:57 AM

17,264 posts, read 11,098,319 times
And here's another site you might find useful. This one also shows crime rates in Richmond higher than national average, especially property crimes like burglary.
On a scale of 1-100 with 100 being highest in crime , Richmond shows a 54 when the U.S. average is 41 for violent crimes. For property crimes including burglary Richmond is a 68 when the national average is 43.
I hope this is helpful

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-27-2016 at 08:03 AM..

Old 01-26-2016, 10:36 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,858,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavenderlady3388 View Post
Thanks for your info everyone. I will subscribe to the local paper and watch what happens in and around town. My interest in the town was sparked by a home I saw there that met my stringent requirements...not something to be taken lightly.

Hogsrus I am going on the assumption that all or most of the negatives I read about Richmond are not to be dismissed. If you have solid information pertaining to this, you should share and further educate us. I can't imagine why you are being so coy. It doesn't move the conversation along and trolling doesn't pay much.

Well, excuse me my dear. Based on what we know about your search for the perfect retirement home...I don't think you are looking for the truth...you already know the truth. If you are basing you're search solely on crime...have you considered the South Pole?

Personally I think louieville or lexton (as my old buddy Scotty would say) would be a better choice for you, as we all know, crime in those locations are almost nil.

Someone accused me of being wrong one time but, as it turned out, I just made a mistake.

Unlike a "Troll" that shows up and takes a few shots and disappears, I'll be around.

Mr. data, no, I don't have any graphs, spreadsheets or internet generated propaganda to offer, as I have no need to search for such information, because I already live in my perfect retirement home. So, having said that, anything I would have to offer would just be an eye witness account.

Just one of many question's I have about the original post, why ask it in the Lexington sub forum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area