U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 13,510 times

Advertisements

My family may be moving from a small town (10,000) people a half hour north of Milwaukee, WI. My husband will be attending the medical school in Lexington. We have two children (school age) and I am a teacher. Where are some good places to live that have #1 excellent schools (we come from a district that is ranked in the top 100 in the US) #2 is a safe community and is 30 minutes or closer to the university. We are use to living in a smaller town and would prefer to live in a smaller community as opposed to living in the heart of Lexington. It would have to be a place where there are many families. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to look to find a house/school ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 06:19 PM

891 posts, read 2,802,269 times
I think you'll have to decide between good schools (living in Lex) and small town (outlying communities that are smaller but the schools won't be as good).

Old 03-18-2008, 08:43 PM

3 posts, read 17,960 times
Default Move to Lexington

Congratulations on your move to Lexington. My family and I love living here. Moderator cut: edit I will say that my wife and I are personally biased to Lexington Christian Academy on Nicholasville Rd. The Southwest are of Lexington is a great place to live for raising a family such as the Tates Creek Rd. area. If you are wanting something a little newer and maybe a bit more "open" feeling, you could try the Hamburg area. Also a great area for families. I hope this helps a little, and by all means let me know if I can help you guys. Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by christina0001; 03-30-2008 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: real estate advertising

Old 05-01-2009, 11:29 PM

25 posts, read 69,669 times
Lexington Christian Academy is the best school! I personally like the Harrodsburg Road Area...Beaumont, Harrods Hills, Palomar, safe family neighborhoods. Everyone is very friendly and great neighbors. Void Tates Creek Road...too much congestion each day getting to work or school. It is a college area and full of apartments and rental homes. Hamburg is great if you don't have to drive away from it, but it does not have the best schools. I lived there and hated every commute. Traffic in the area is a nightmare...an accident every day.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:55 AM

102 posts, read 270,385 times
BTW, is there a map available anywhere that shows the boundaries of the Fayette school district for the different elementary schools, high schools, etc?

Old 05-02-2009, 04:06 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,475,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtongal View Post
I think you'll have to decide between good schools (living in Lex) and small town (outlying communities that are smaller but the schools won't be as good).
She has a point. Although, I have to say that only an single public school system in Central Kentucky has impressed me, and that's Model Lab down in Richmond. Otherwise, not one, anywhere from Springfield to Owingsville. Pretty sad.

To Fayette County's credit, though, it has some very strong elementary and junior high schools. Its public high schools leave something to be desired, though, but the SCAPA program at Dunbar High (very selective program) is magnificent. The state's best public highs can be found in N. KY., Louisville, Owensboro, and the Raceland and Russell areas near Ashland. Fayette County does have some excellent private school systems for K-12, though, such as Catholic schools, Lexington Christian Academy and, probably the best, Sayre.

Otherwise, lexingtongal is right. If you move to a rural or exurban area (i.e.: Scott, Anderson, Jessamine, Clark Counties, etc.,) you're basically comprimising the school situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCA2013 View Post
Lexington Christian Academy is the best school! I personally like the Harrodsburg Road Area...Beaumont, Harrods Hills, Palomar, safe family neighborhoods. Everyone is very friendly and great neighbors. Void Tates Creek Road...too much congestion each day getting to work or school. It is a college area and full of apartments and rental homes. Hamburg is great if you don't have to drive away from it, but it does not have the best schools. I lived there and hated every commute. Traffic in the area is a nightmare...an accident every day.
I agree with the points on Tates Creek Rd. and Hamburg Pavilion. Hamburg is suburban planning at its absolute worst. Just horrible! For example, I live 33 miles from Hamburg and 47 miles from Louisville's The Summit and I will drive to The Summit anyday just b/c it's both more pedestrian- and driver-friendly.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:57 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,714,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
I agree with the points on Tates Creek Rd. and Hamburg Pavilion. Hamburg is suburban planning at its absolute worst. Just horrible! For example, I live 33 miles from Hamburg and 47 miles from Louisville's The Summit and I will drive to The Summit anyday just b/c it's both more pedestrian- and driver-friendly.
That would be because The Summit is much smaller.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:30 AM

891 posts, read 2,802,269 times
The best school district (imo) is within 40502. Csssidy, Morton and Henry Clay. There are numerous magnet schools. Starting in 3rd grade there is a gifted/talented magnet. It is housed at either Meadowthorpe or Ashland for elementary, Winburn for middle and feeds into the Liberal Arts Academy at Henry Clay. For the last several years all of the graduates of the Academy have received at least one full scholarship offer. Last year's class of 35 students received over 3 million dollars worth of scholarship offers.
Morton is regards as the best middle school in Lex. Glendover also feeds into it and is a good elementary school but then those students go to Lafayette.
Rosa Parks and Veterans Park are excellent elementary schools but they don't feed into as good of a middle school. The Rosa Parks district does eventually go to Dunbar though which is good. Dunbar houses a magnet, Math, Science and Technology Center, which is an excellent program. There is also a spanish immersion program that starts in kindgergarten and goes through high school. In addition SCAPA served talented children.
I think you will find that people have several good options.
Check out fcps.net to find individual schools scores. Morton rates in the top of the state as does Veterans Park.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 12,194 times
Default ilealbert23

My husband and I are planning to move to Lexington, KY. We would like to received advice from you guys. Help us.!

Old 10-03-2009, 09:39 AM

969 posts, read 2,496,364 times
Hi ilealbert 23. You may want to start your own thread for your questions. Be sure to include what you are looking for in a neighborhood, what you want to be close to, your price range, etc.

I've been in Lexington for 24 years. I really love it here. It is big enough to have some fun and variety, but small enough to feel safe. I guess it is either a small city or a big town. People will complain about traffic or other issues, but I think the quality of life here is awesome!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area