U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 11:16 AM

7,320 posts, read 5,020,027 times

Advertisements

What's "Jaundiced" about it? Far as I can see, she nailed it perfectly. I can't speak for the part about her neighbors or the handyman, because I've never met 'em, and she's wrong about the earthquakes, but aside from that she's absolutely 100% on the money in her evaluation of Perryville. At the same time, CC makes some really good points about the local geology and scenery and such, and resources that are available in Danville (although having just driven down its main street an hour ago, I'm baffled as to how he defines "vibrant",) and hopefully if the OP stayed their family was able to connect up with some of those resources and make their life here a little more interesting. But that aside, she did not say one single thing that was inaccurate or "jaundiced" about Perryville. She described it perfectly.

Look - y'all like Kentucky the way it is, good for you. I'm genuinely happy for you. But there are people who read these forums and ask questions about certain areas because they are thinking of packing up everything they own, uprooting their families, moving halfway across the country, and spending perhaps hundreds of thousands of dollars on a new home. They're reading the forums and asking the questions because they want the best possible information on where they may be moving.

They've got their whole lives invested in this decision, and the information they get here is a factor in what they decide to do. For many people, that's the whole point of these forums - that's why they come to a place called, uh - "City Data." See the connection? Shouting down, ridiculing, and even sometimes insulting or trying to drive away anyone who posts anything less than a glowing Chamber of Commerce review of the area (as I see very often in the Kentucky forums) is doing a serious disservice not only to the poster, but to the website itself - because it undermines the credibility (and therefore the usefulness) of the entire site.

Kentucky is what it is. There are some wonderful things about the place, there are some things that are far short of wonderful. People who are thinking of moving here and buying a home have the right to hear it all, good and bad. Y'all like it the way it is, that's fine. But other people may not, and they have the right to know what they're thinking of getting themselves into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 06:27 AM

13,027 posts, read 6,007,293 times
These are all good points. Kentucky isn't unique in that what one person see's as an attribute another person may see as a negative. This is true of everywhere.
For example, if one likes a small town atmosphere where things change slowly and has history there are many places in Kentucky that would be fine and even wonderful places to live.
Someone else would think living in a small town with little to do, would be horrible.
It's all in the eyes of the beholder. One persons perfect little town can be another persons nightmare. It all depends on what makes you personally happy.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:26 AM

123 posts, read 141,252 times
I agree, I think this is like everything else - different feathers for different chickens. My experience here in the forums has been overall very informational. I stayed in Corbin last year and fell in love! I wouldn't mind purchasing a home there eventually. It's a small, poor town but it's perfect for me - I'm sure it's not everyone's idea of perfect. I bragged about my experience here in the forums and many Kentuckians volunteered opinions and stated honest, hard facts. Some of those known facts about Corbin are not pretty and folks here were/are honest about it and I appreciate that.

I know the original post is old but how can one spend thousands on a home and not research the big picture - the surroundings or at least check out the town area - before making such a huge commitment? It can be difficult to be the new kid on the block, relocating takes a major effort of resources. Research is the key. I bet if they took the time to connect with the neighbors and actually became a part of their community, etc...they would have made new friends instantly and would have probably had a little bit of advice on which handyman to go with too. I didn't read anything that said they had made an effort to meet neighbors. When I was in Corbin, I didn't have any trouble communicating with people and we were just visiting! Sometimes it just takes a small gesture (especially in a small town) to make a friend for life. A little research goes for miles and miles....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area