U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2008, 07:45 PM

2 posts, read 8,627 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me any information about the Paris community? We have been searching for the past 6 months for a smaller town that is easily accessible to Lexington with a comparable cost of living to where we currently live in Arkansas. We will be heading that way next week to house hunt. Are there areas in Paris that are RV friendlier than others? What about the school system? We have one child in middle school and one in high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 08:53 PM

528 posts, read 2,275,707 times
parts of Paris are gorgeous (some of the most prestigious horse farms are in Bourbon County), and there are a few areas that are rather poor and run down...typical of small town, rural living. The downtown area is going through a resurgence and new businesses and restaurants are moving in, so things are looking up there. There's a Walmart super center, a good sized hospital, a couple smaller grocery stores, a Starbucks, several chain fast food places, a couple good restaurants, a Tractor Supply and numerous small businesses.
Don't know much about the schools, though I think the county high school is probably recommended over the city one (for location, if nothing else). Have no idea about RV friendly, but unless you're in a subdivision with an HOA I can't imagine anyone caring what you park in your driveway.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:15 PM

1,459 posts, read 4,173,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmordm View Post
Can anyone give me any information about the Paris community? We have been searching for the past 6 months for a smaller town that is easily accessible to Lexington with a comparable cost of living to where we currently live in Arkansas. We will be heading that way next week to house hunt. Are there areas in Paris that are RV friendlier than others? What about the school system? We have one child in middle school and one in high school.
My wife is from paris, I know the area well. Give me a little more info. on what you are looking for and I will try to help you out best I can.

Will you be renting or buying?

Looking to live in the city or out in the county (rural)?

If buying what price range? The reason I ask this is, you may get a better house for the same money in nearby Winchester which has very easy access to Lexington on I-64.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:16 PM

2 posts, read 8,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
My wife is from paris, I know the area well. Give me a little more info. on what you are looking for and I will try to help you out best I can.

Will you be renting or buying?

Looking to live in the city or out in the county (rural)?

If buying what price range? The reason I ask this is, you may get a better house for the same money in nearby Winchester which has very easy access to Lexington on I-64.
we will be buying a home, in the country with between 5 and 10 acres. Price range up the $375,000. We know we don't want in a subdivision....especially with the travel trailer my husband needs for his job.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:32 PM

1,459 posts, read 4,173,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmordm View Post
we will be buying a home, in the country with between 5 and 10 acres. Price range up the $375,000. We know we don't want in a subdivision....especially with the travel trailer my husband needs for his job.
Here are two links that you can compare real estate in both Paris and nearby Winchester if you haven't already done so.

Paris, KY, Real Estate Listings and Paris, KY Homes for Sale - Realtor.com

Winchester, KY, Real Estate Listings and Winchester, KY Homes for Sale - Realtor.com

IMO, you get more for your money in the Winchester area as far as property in the country. May be something to check out while you are there, winchester is only 17 miles from Paris...both towns are a easy commute to Lexington. I sent you a Direct Message with some info I can't post here.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:52 PM

21 posts, read 59,321 times
There are some really nice 5 acre lots 1/2 between paris and georgetown on 460 ( I think its 460) where you can build your own house. I think those lots are going for 85k and they are nice and rural but with access to G-town, Lexingon and Paris.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:28 PM

4 posts, read 10,358 times
i live in paris and just about have all of my life. there are some beautiful horse farms here but the jobs are scare unless you have an education. and then u will have to go to lexington to get a good job. the rent is high and so is the land. they have a variety of churches here and a lot of grocery and liquor store. seems like that is all people do around here. expect small town politics and nepotism. not much to do. will have to go to other counties to really do anything. the red river gorge is beautiful. i go hiking there a lot.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:41 AM

969 posts, read 2,496,758 times
I don't do much in Paris, but I know who I'd turn to if I was buying out there. A guy named Charlie Nichols. He knows Paris!! I had a listing in Paris that was a short sale. He could have saved a lot of time and effort by selling his client another house since short sales are a nightmare! He didn't. That impressed me a lot.

Here is a link to his web page: My HomePage (http://charlesnichols.rhr.com/ - broken link)

I'd offer you advice, but I don't know the Paris market like I do Lexington, Nicholasville, Georgetown or Winchester. Good Luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area