Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2008, 08:41 PM

216 posts, read 1,185,713 times

Advertisements

So how has this Winter and Spring been for you so far? Is this typical for you? I've been following the weather patterns for a year now, and just wondering what your thoughts are about this year in particular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 07:17 AM

486 posts, read 1,897,541 times
It's been a wet winter, no doubt about that, but it hasn't been unusually cold or anything this year. We did get some snow and ice, but that is to be expected every year. Spring so far has been both hot and cool, like normal. We already have had a couple days in the high 60's and low 70's, so I'm predicting (I'm no meteorologist) that this summer will be rather warm.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:53 PM

285 posts, read 902,102 times
teebird, can you tell me does the air conditioning help in the summer with the humidity? I'm starting the process of deciding where in KY to move in June of 09. I'm going to fly down in March to look at homes and hope to look at enough in a couple of days to make choice (I hope I can do this). I'm getting the impression costs of utilities and such vary on where you live. If I should find a house in the burbs around Lexington what is a ballpark on car insurance, property taxes (looking for 1400 sq home) and utilities with internet and phone running. Just a ball park. I live in AZ and I pay high car insurance here. My internet, phone, wireless, direct tv run $180. My avg. electric bill is $125 a month. Groceries appear equal. Car registration is based on the value of your car so I have a 2000 and will be at about $110 this year. Sales tax is about 6-8%. Any info will help. Thank you

Old 03-30-2008, 06:48 PM

216 posts, read 1,185,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebird1012 View Post
It's been a wet winter, no doubt about that, but it hasn't been unusually cold or anything this year. We did get some snow and ice, but that is to be expected every year. Spring so far has been both hot and cool, like normal. We already have had a couple days in the high 60's and low 70's, so I'm predicting (I'm no meteorologist) that this summer will be rather warm.
Thanks. Good to hear.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:07 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,055,527 times
The winter has been a little less snowy than average, and possibly a little warmer than average.

We always have plenty of rain, grey skies, and variable conditions all winter.

It seems like spring was late this year. I'm glad it's here at last.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:31 PM

486 posts, read 1,897,541 times
I'm 17, so I don't have much of an idea of cost of utilities, but I do know that my parent's bills are significantly lower than where my family lives (Indiana, Maryland, Tennessee, North Carolina, New Mexico). I could try to find out if you like, but we live in Fairway near Ashland Park (near central Lexington), so I don't know how much costs will differ from the suburbs. To answer your question about air conditioning, yes it does help with the humidity a lot. My mom keeps a dehumidifier in our basement and laundry room to keep mold levels down. Coming from Arizona, I'm guessing humidity is going to be a new thing for you, but you'll get used to a wet heat instead of the dry heat out west. Just like with dry heat, AC will help greatly with wet heat, possibly more than with dry, but I would definitely invest in a dehumidifier to keep somewhere in your house. Good luck with your search and let me know if you want to me to look into utility costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area