U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 03:52 PM

15 posts, read 60,599 times

Advertisements

Hi, We are looking into moving to Kentucky from Grand Rapids, Michigan. We have lived in Grand Rapids all of lives~what do we need to know about life in Kentucky? (probably Lexington.) City or Suburbs? what school systems are rated the best? Do any of the high schools have a great Basketball program? Are people friendly? What about crime? Good Community Colleges/Colleges in the area? What about pest problems? Any help would be greatly appreciated! We know nothing about the area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 05:35 PM

1,714 posts, read 5,547,389 times
People are friendly, especially if you have something in common with them. They do seem settled into groups oftentimes, which can seem difficult to fit into, but it helps if you have something in common. The crime isn't worth talking about - Lexington is a nice safe place. I've lived in downtown Lexington as well as inner suburbs, and have been very happy and safe. Some of the neighborhoods (like Southland) are walkable, with plenty of parks and retail. There's a neighborhood for every taste.

What kind of pest problems are you thinking of? The fleas and mosquitoes can be bad in late summer, but that's about all I can think of.

What sort of job are you thinking of? Do you already have one that you are moving to?

You will be pleased with the mild weather, coming from Michigan.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:54 PM

15 posts, read 60,599 times
Thank you for the information! My husband is in Banking and looking at a position within the company. I am not currently employed outside the home. We have four boys ages 20, 18,15 & 13. I've been looking at Real Estate listing for the Lexington area, and really don't know what suburbs to look at. Thanks for the information on fleas, etc. I heard they could be a bigger problem with the warmer weather. I will not miss Michigan's winters~this year was horrible!

Old 03-27-2008, 07:05 PM

If you are interested in suburban living, the outside-Man o' War subdivisions around Harrodsburg Road are very nice. I particularly like Dogwood Trace, and then Rabbit Run is a little closer to town (inside Man o' War) and very lovely. There is a street in Rabbit Run where the backyards are absolutely huge and there is a pretty creek... Blenheim, I believe. The high school is Dunbar, which is very good. I am not sure about its basketball program.

You'll definitely enjoy the warmer winters, it sounds like!

Old 03-28-2008, 05:51 AM

486 posts, read 1,735,693 times
Just to add on Dunbar athletics, their program is usually one of the best in the area if not the state.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:01 AM

285 posts, read 822,638 times
Hi just joined this forum and I'm planning to move to the Lexington area also in June 09. I'm coming from AZ but my most of my family is in WI. I can't do deep snow anymore. Thank you for the info that helps me. I was looking at Frankfort or Bowling Green. I really want the sub areas but close to medical places. My daughter will be applying to the U of Louisville. How are utilities? I'm not sure about gas heat is it more expensive???
Tjx

Old 03-30-2008, 11:04 AM

Question Oh what about fleas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilo0854 View Post
Hi just joined this forum and I'm planning to move to the Lexington area also in June 09. I'm coming from AZ but my most of my family is in WI. I can't do deep snow anymore. Thank you for the info that helps me. I was looking at Frankfort or Bowling Green. I really want the sub areas but close to medical places. My daughter will be applying to the U of Louisville. How are utilities? I'm not sure about gas heat is it more expensive???
Tjx
Can you spray for fleas to get rid of them? I have 3 dogs.
Also do you know about tornado area's in the places I mentioned I looking at?

Old 03-30-2008, 08:19 PM

I don't know whether has or electric heat is cheaper. Everyone seems to have opinions based on their own individual circumstances. I think they are about equal at this time. Most people in Lexington have forced-air central heat/air with a gas furnace.

As for fleas, yes, you can spray for them, give your pets Frontline, etc.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:07 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,723,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilo0854 View Post
Can you spray for fleas to get rid of them? I have 3 dogs.
Also do you know about tornado area's in the places I mentioned I looking at?
Tornadoes are not very common in Kentucky. But they do occur more in the western part of the state. Paducah, Bowling Green, Owensboro; those areas have a higher amount of them. Tornadoes in Kentucky are typically weak, short lived.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:17 PM

It's good to hear I don't have to deal with the tornatoes. Its one of those things if I had a basement I would feel safer during one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area