U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2018, 09:41 AM

193 posts, read 465,212 times

Advertisements

We currently live in middle TN (work in Cookeville, live in Sparta) but was recently offered a position (haven't excepted it yet) in downtown Lexington. We've made several trips to check out houses but the costs are much higher than what we can get here in TN. We are NOT looking at Lexington as it's too expensive for our needs. We have a lot of animals so looking for a 3 bed, 2 bath house with a minimum of 2 acres (prefer up to 5 acres). We've looked at Salvisa and Nicholasville so far. Was told to stay away from Winchester, and Georgetown is too expensive. ANY ideas? What places/towns to avoid, etc.?? I have a job in TN right now that I haven't given up yet. Tough decision. Only wanting to move to Lexington area to be with some family. Thanks for any input/help in order to make this difficult decision.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 11:03 AM

11,833 posts, read 9,752,110 times
Check out northern Scott County - it's hilly and wooded and land is less costly there, yet you are fairly close to Lexington.

Lawrenceburg might also work for you. What is your budget?

Why were you told to stay away from Winchester? It's a pleasant community, and I am not aware of any particular issues there.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:36 PM

7,435 posts, read 5,373,452 times
Try Midway. Truly charming little town. You could probably pick up Sam Shepherd's place if the estate hasn't disposed of it yet.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:06 AM

17,214 posts, read 12,461,322 times
Why stay away from Winchester? I can’t imagine why it was singled out as a place not to live. Where do your family members live?

Old 06-08-2018, 11:23 AM

193 posts, read 465,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Why stay away from Winchester? I can’t imagine why it was singled out as a place not to live. Where do your family members live?
I was told by a realtor that it was "hillbilly" there. I have family in Lexington and Nicholasville.

Old 06-08-2018, 05:21 PM

17,214 posts, read 12,461,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluver View Post
I was told by a realtor that it was "hillbilly" there. I have family in Lexington and Nicholasville.
Oh, please.... it’s no worse than Nicholasville. However, it is in the opposite direction to Nicholasville if you desire to be near those relatives. You might want to look into Wilmore, Harrodsburg, or Versailles if you need cheaper. All are in a very reasonable distance to Lexington.

Old 06-09-2018, 12:35 AM

956 posts, read 1,440,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluver View Post

Hillbilly? I resemble that statement and quite frankly, I'm offended by it!

Old 06-09-2018, 06:25 PM

33 posts, read 35,267 times
Winchester is just fine. In fact, it's been steadily improving with downtown festivals and family friendly activities for the last few years. It is no more "hillbilly" than anywhere else in Kentucky, except for Lexington and Louisville. Besides, if your car breaks down on the side of the road, the "hillbillies" will be the first to stop and help, while the "city folk" turn their head and drive on by.

Old 08-11-2018, 06:06 PM

71 posts, read 125,345 times
I've lived 4 years in Cookeville and 5 years in Lexington. There is no place as cheap as Cookeville and that area. Lexington is a bargain for a nice city, though. And Lexington has a lot to do and see in it.

I agree with other posters who suggest looking into places around Versailles, Midway, and Wilmore. Those are really lovely areas and very friendly in my experience.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area