U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2018, 07:54 PM

1 posts, read 516 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm moving to Lexington in August from Massachusetts. I'm really excited but I'll admit this was a very spontaneous decision. I don't have any work lined up yet but I have enough savings to last me a few months. I plan on finding a job asap, but I'm unfamiliar with the Lexington economy. Does anyone know of any good places to work or if there are employers I should avoid? Also my BA is in Political Science, which isn't an easy industry to get into really. That's not to suggest that I'm looking for something easy, however.

Any help in this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Also, if anyone knows of any other forums or sites to talk with people from the area that'd be great too
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 04:21 PM

11,852 posts, read 9,771,267 times
Lexington's economy is pretty good - but the cost of living is higher here than elsewhere in Kentucky. We don't have any heavy industry here, which helps keep our air and water reasonably clean. Otherwise, the thoroughbred horse farms are a big thing, as is the University of Kentucky and to a lesser degree (because it's a lot smaller), Transylvania University. UK sports are very popular and there's a local semi-pro baseball team and stadium. There is ample rental space, mostly apartments but some houses as well, in Lexington.

What sort of work interests you? What sort of resume and experience do you have? Would you consider living and/or working in one of the smaller towns close to Lexington? The Toyota Assembly Plant in Georgetown is also a big employer. Amazon has a warehouse here - said with due caveats. There are stores, restaurants, all manner of other businesses. Public and private schools, both pretty good, though teachers' retirement is threatened by a nutzoid governor atm.

Tell us more about your interests and experience and you'll get more responses and suggestions.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:27 PM

30,181 posts, read 13,233,321 times
I moved to Lexington years ago as my company was a contractor to Lexmark, so I had to be on site with them to interact with the execs. It is their world HQ. You may want to check with them. Also as others have said UK is there as well as a plethora of horse farms, and horse industry spinoffs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
View detailed profiles of: