Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 01:44 AM

46 posts, read 75,593 times

Advertisements

Hi,
After much searching, looking at various areas of the country, I have finally decided to settle down in Lexington. I have never been in Lexington before, but lived in Cinti back in the 70's. I am hoping to come to Lexington in early June to go house-hunting.

I currently live in CO. but have to leave because of the high altitude here.
I am retired and single, with grown kids and grankids. I would prefer calm and quiet, but don't want to move out in the country. I'd probably choose a place in the suburbs, but hopefully where the houses are NOT on top of one another, if there is any such thing in the suburbs? Since I am retired I would be interested in an area that has some retirees in their demographics. Now don't get me wrong, I really like kids, and younger folks, just don't want to be the “Gramma” of the area. Hey, nothing wrong with being a Gramma, as I mentioned earlier, I'm one myself!!!! Hopefully, you get what I am trying to say.

I am on a pretty tight budget, so looking to spend close to $145,000, in a safe area . I say that because I was told that a Realtor can not come out and tell you which areas are safe and which are not, due to the fair housing act? That can be quite tricky if your new to the area and on a limited budget, how in the world you would know that specific info I don't know. [Shoot, if I 'd of just won that billion dollar lottery...................] I have gotten a bit of an idea from other posters. I would prefer a house to a condo, with 2 beds and 2 bths. Might consider a stand alone condo, but not sure if you have any there? A garage is a must, a one car is fine.
I would like a yard, but nothing huge. And I would prefer to be close to all the basic services, grocery stores, banks, church, Dr's etc. Yep, it's true, I confess, I AM the Queen of Convenience!! Love being close to everything. Hmmm, wonder if I just contradicted myself, with the comment that I prefer calm and quiet BUT want to be close to all basic services????

If anyone out there, has the world's best Family Dr, Dentist, Cardiologist, Ophthalmologist, AND last but certainly not least, a really good Handyman, please feel free to DM me. Finding good folks that others recommend, is sooooo helpful when your new in town.
Thanks so much for your time, and for any help you can give me. I can't WAIT to get there,
I am really excited !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 01:10 PM

14,703 posts, read 8,028,948 times
Hi Gonegirl49! Welcome to the Lexington forum here at City Data.

One of the local realtors (And City-Data member) has a You tube Channel where he visits many Lexington neighborhoods.
Maybe that can help a bit.

Link

My Doctor is with the Central Baptist Group at LakeCrest (In Beaumont) They are great.

Old 11-02-2018, 06:06 PM

Hey! Crazy Cat Lady,
You are so sweet, always ready to help EVERYONE I always appreciate your warm and welcoming tone,!!! Are you sure you don't secretly work for the Chamber of Commerce there? If not, you should!!!! Thanks to you, I already saw the Lexpert's videos, he does such a terrific job helping to give those of us out of the area, a peek at Lex!!!
Now, this is gonna' make me sound like a diva.......................but, when you go to your Dr. do you have to wait forever??? I don't have a diva bone in my entire body, really, just impatient! Don't have much tolerance when it comes to going to a doctor, any doctor, and then getting to sit and wait for 2 hours..........I
and yeah, I realize it's not the Dr's fault, it's the folks that do the scheduling but it really frustrates me...............well now, aren't you happy you only mentioned one Dr.!!!!

Old 11-02-2018, 07:10 PM

14,703 posts, read 8,028,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonegirl49 View Post
Hey! Crazy Cat Lady,
You are so sweet, always ready to help EVERYONE I always appreciate your warm and welcoming tone,!!! Are you sure you don't secretly work for the Chamber of Commerce there? If not, you should!!!! Thanks to you, I already saw the Lexpert's videos, he does such a terrific job helping to give those of us out of the area, a peek at Lex!!!
Now, this is gonna' make me sound like a diva.......................but, when you go to your Dr. do you have to wait forever??? I don't have a diva bone in my entire body, really, just impatient! Don't have much tolerance when it comes to going to a doctor, any doctor, and then getting to sit and wait for 2 hours..........I
and yeah, I realize it's not the Dr's fault, it's the folks that do the scheduling but it really frustrates me...............well now, aren't you happy you only mentioned one Dr.!!!!

Yes, I have had to wait before...I have learned the secret though if you schedule in as one of the first appointments of the day, you have a lot less waiting, and get out a lot quicker.

Aww, thanks for the really kind words.

Old 11-03-2018, 07:02 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,847,632 times
Gonegirl: Look in Southland and Idle Hour - I'd try Southland first. Nicely kept (many modestly updated) 1950s brick and fieldstone ranches and Cape Cods, most with hardwood floors and fireplaces, large enough but not huge yards with mature trees and separate garages, a slightly quirky (and currently trend) shopping center nearby, lots of good schools, a variety of churches, city parks, close to additional shopping along Nicholasville Road, on the bus line, popular with both young families and more mature folks.

Idle Hour is similar, but the Idle Hour shopping center is smaller and less diverse. However, the very popular new senior citizens center is close at hand and Richmond Road shopping is easy to access, and Idle Hour is closer to downtown, which is an easy couple of miles down Richmond Road (which turns into Main Street).

Southland is probably a bit safer, but both areas are okay. I lived very happily in the Southland area for a long time, and have a good friend doing the same in Idle Hour at present. The only crime I experienced in Southland was having my exceptionally large and mature croton plants swiped off my front porch - the night before Mother's Day. That was many years ago and was a crime of opportunity. Still made me mad.

Your budget may be a little low for Southland, unless you look at the smaller houses on the streets off Clays Mill north of Clays Mill Elementary and Lexington Catholic High Schools, which reflect their sizes in their prices. You can find houses ranging from two to four bedrooms in the Southland-Clays Mill-Twin Oaks area.

There is a nearby large realtor's office on the corner across from the intersection of Southland Drive (the shopping area's main drag), on Nicholasville Road. I worked with them to both find and sell my Southland house, and was very pleased with their services each time. PM me if you'd like their name, which I believe I cannot post here.

Last edited by CraigCreek; 11-03-2018 at 07:13 AM..

Old 11-03-2018, 07:09 PM

Hi Craig,
OHMYGOSH, thanks soooo much for all the info you sent me, it is all so helpfulI !!!! I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate your taking the time to answer and in such detail too,
Not sure I'd ever use the Senior Center , but, it's good to know it's there.
Shoot, sorry to hear that someone else's Mom probably got your very large and mature Croton plants for her Mothers Day present! I would have been mad too!!!! .......nah, that's a bit of a fib, I'd of been Furious!!!!

Old 11-03-2018, 08:18 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,847,632 times
Might have to settle for a bath and a half in Southland, or even just one bath if you're wanting a two-bedroom house.

My house there had three bedrooms and a bath and a half. It wasn't a problem as I was single, except on the rare occasions when I had more than one houseguest - and then we just took turns taking baths or showers, as the half-bath was fine for everything else.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:40 AM

638 posts, read 1,278,376 times
Welcome, gonegirl, to the beautiful Bluegrass area! You will love it here!

Old 11-05-2018, 12:17 PM

Default Ponypulr

Hi PONYPULR,

Thanks so much, I am really looking forward to my move there !!!

Old 11-06-2018, 04:32 AM

53 posts, read 94,186 times
I have a secret to waiting. My time is as valuable as the doctor's so if I have to wait that long without real explanations then it's time to find another doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area