U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 10:38 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,485,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
It's the traffic inside Hamburg that's the hassle Dix. A maze of lanes that run all over willy-nilly with various blind corners, dead ends, dangerous crossings and things you "can't get to from here".

Great care must be taken driving in there.
100% spot on! You would think that a city with an urban growth boundary would have smart development limitations. Apparently not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 04:52 AM

627 posts, read 1,093,594 times
Thank, IL, great website!

As for Hamburg, there's too much in-and-out of the car, for my liking. And the actual inner parking areas are poorly designed, it must be a bear during the Holidays!

Old 06-28-2009, 05:19 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,217,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I AM soooooooooooo glad I no longer live in that Central Kentucky "Go-Cats-ra-ra-ra-Calipari-ra-ra-ra-Let's-Get-Wasted-at-Keeneland" horse crap. I live very near a real city now...called Cincinnati!
Cincinnati ain't much better. And is responsible for infecting Lexington with that soup you guys call chili and pour all over lousy hot dogs.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:44 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,720,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Cincinnati ain't much better. And is responsible for infecting Lexington with that soup you guys call chili and pour all over lousy hot dogs.
Poor Tom. Does the complaining ever stop?

Old 06-28-2009, 06:51 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,769,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post

Does the rudeness ever stop?????

Old 06-28-2009, 07:41 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,217,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
I'm not complaining, I'm busting his.....chops.

There's a Cincinnati pun there for those familiar with 19th Century Ohio history.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 06-28-2009 at 08:11 PM..

Old 06-29-2009, 06:24 AM

127 posts, read 313,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Very true reflection of Lexington...the people are generally snobbish, surly and, yes, impatient. One of the rudest cities I've ever been to.
well, I would suggest you never move to the new england area. you will probably hate it

Old 07-03-2009, 05:17 AM

508 posts, read 1,349,225 times
Hate it. Nothing but retails chains. Nothing unique. Poorly designed.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:43 AM

844 posts, read 1,856,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
If all those stores were where Lexington Mall used to be, and INDOORS, that would be good.
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by centre View Post
It is a traffic nightmare to even enter that area.
Agreed - and I am from Los Angeles!!!

Old 08-26-2009, 08:49 PM

10,952 posts, read 9,018,689 times
When the Hamburg Wal-Mart was being built - or rather, when the site was being excavated - there were large piles of rich, blackish-brown topsoil throughout the area, waiting to be bulldozed and covered over with asphalt and cheap construction. The same topsoil which is responsible for our beautiful, fabled Bluegrass....

They don't make this stuff anymore, folks. And putting Wal-Marts and Hamburgs on top of it is - well, I have a whole string of negative adjectives I could use.

Greed played a huge part in the "development" of Hamburg Place shopping center and subdivision. Check out its history. Even so, it surely could have been done in a more user-friendly fashion and been less of a visual blight.

I go there only when I cannot find something I need anywhere else locally. That averages out to about once or twice a year. I know lots of old-time Lexingtonians who feel the same way.

As for that cute new horse cemetery in front of Wal-Mart (!), I fondly remember the original, which faced Winchester Road and was surrounded by a low horseshoe-shaped stone wall, accessible by a stile. It wasn't just charming and quaint, it was real. As was the horse farm on which it stood. Now both the horse farm and the historic cemetery are gone, victims of "development".

Meanwhile, the vibrant downtown shopping all along Main Street which I remember from my childhood and teenage years is long gone, done in by urban renewal in the early '60s and malls in the '70s, just as the pastoral, precious Bluegrass is pushed farther and farther back because of ill-planned subdivisions.

Read Dr. Mary Wharton's outstanding "Bluegrass Land and Life" to learn more about the crucial issues involved - and weep for what we've lost and continue to lose, due to ignorance and short-sightedness.

Present plans to revitalize downtown sound good - and yes, it's better now than it was a few years ago, which is most encouraging - but then there's that big hole on Main Street.

"Development" again. And inadequate investigation of the likelihood of all those rosy promises to be fulfilled in a timely way, before the demolition permits were issued. And meanwhile, we've lost the oldest extant business structure in Lexington, a 200 year old building, with nothing but a hole to take its place.

Aka greed. Had all that went into Hamburg been invested in downtown Lexington, with the existing sound older buildings being rehabbed and reused, we'd have a far more interesting, attractive, and functional city, and would still have several hundred open acres of beautiful Bluegrass, to boot.

But then, I'm not in charge of the world. Shoot, I'm not even in charge of Lexington...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area