U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 09:33 PM

218 posts, read 565,214 times

Advertisements

Hamburg Pavilion is NOT a "Lifestyle Center" as being developed in other parts of the country. A real Lifestyle Center will have a residential component such as condos and apartments above the commercial entities. A real live where you work/shop model such that we would like to see downtown.

Hamburg does have potential for a lifestyle center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 10:16 PM

3,948 posts, read 3,811,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartomanlex View Post
Hamburg Pavilion is NOT a "Lifestyle Center" as being developed in other parts of the country. A real Lifestyle Center will have a residential component such as condos and apartments above the commercial entities. A real live where you work/shop model such that we would like to see downtown.

Hamburg does have residential components.

Lifestyle Communities-Hamburg Farms-Lexington Condos,-Lexington Apartments

Ironically, it's called "Lifestyle Communities." They are right on an intersection of Sir Barton and are in the mix of it all.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:35 PM

896 posts, read 1,652,806 times
I hate Hamburg's layout and design. It isn't a lifestyle center, nor is it an outdoor mall. It's a spread out suburban atrocity that will hopefully never be repeated again.

Here is a true outdoor mall:
Huntsville's Bridge Street:
http://z.about.com/d/huntsville/1/0/...dgestreet3.jpg
http://athomeshuntsville.com/realest...treetarial.jpg

Hamburg is probably the least dense retail development I've ever seen. It's a remnant of the 90s philosophy of continually moving further and further out to where cheap land is located.

What Lexington needs is more retail developments like those around High and Euclid....somewhere that actually has character. Walking around Hamburg there is nothing unique about it. People don't talk about travelling to Hamburg to shop....they go because it's close. When Hamburg was built it should have included more vertical parking and less surface parking, and it should have exclusively utilized dense development that is truly walkable (it has some of this, but it makes up a small percentage of the total development area). It also should have better connected the retail, business, and residential areas instead of distinctly separating them.

Unfortunately, what's done is done. Fortunately, there aren't all that many large blocs of land that remain to be developed in lexington because of the lack of development rights. What that means is we will see more and more infill development instead of just pushing the boundaries of Lexington further and further out.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Hamburg does have residential components.

Lifestyle Communities-Hamburg Farms-Lexington Condos,-Lexington Apartments

Ironically, it's called "Lifestyle Communities." They are right on an intersection of Sir Barton and are in the mix of it all.
Hamburg does have residential development but it isn't incorporated at all into the retail areas. True incorporation would include second and third floor housing on top of the retail and rowhouses, townhomes a couple hundred feet from retail and connected by sidewalks. Hamburg doesn't come close to achieving this.

Here's a link to the Levis Commons development outside Toledo.
http://www.mbharch.com/portfolio/planning/development/levisTS.jpg (broken link)
The residential areas are part of the street grid that the retail is on and is an easy 1-2 minute walk from the front of the townhomes/apartments/rowhouses.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:55 PM

482 posts, read 702,301 times
i don't see what the big deal is - if you don't like it don't shop there. If you live in Lexington though your pretty limited to the inside/outside malls they have to shop.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:02 AM

It's not the stores that I don't like....and I will go there on occasion, though i am much more likely to shop at Fayette Mall because of proximity and the much larger selection of stores. My beef with it is the planning and foresight (or the lack thereof) that went into its design and construction. It had all the potential in the world and most of it was squandered. It ate up a TON of land that could have been used for something better than parking lots.

Old 12-24-2009, 04:58 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,172,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_Hey View Post
It's not the stores that I don't like....and I will go there on occasion, though i am much more likely to shop at Fayette Mall because of proximity and the much larger selection of stores. My beef with it is the planning and foresight (or the lack thereof) that went into its design and construction. It had all the potential in the world and most of it was squandered.
Not to turn this into a "lets all bash Lex" thread, but the city is notoriously bad for this sorta thing. They've REALLY had a horrible track record for planning & development, especially recently. I mean, every city has blunders, but its almost like Lex actively seeks out the worst ideas & goes with them every time.

Their road system is a mess with no means to make it better except widening lanes (which they cant do forever) & they'll never be able to make a proper freeway that goes through/around the city. They have no proper "entertainment district" & all that stuff is spread all over town, which would be fine, except the things like Hamburg are a complete mess. And lets not forget what they've done (and not done) to downtown. It was bad before when they were letting it stagnate, but they even went so far as to DECREASE what was there by leveling a huge chunk of it, all for some pie-in-the-sky dream from a shady developer who turned out to be completely full of crap (and who already had a horrible reputation). I mean, that takes a special kind of stupid.

It makes me wonder if the city planners are just full of incompetent morons, or are they actually TRYING to make the city into more of a mess than what it already is. Because either way, you all lose. And the sad part is I dont think the vast majority of residents care. As long as you throw them some stores here & there, some chain restaurants & their UK sports, everything's cool with them.

Sorry, Im really not trying to bash the town. The only reason I write stuff like this to begin with is because I hate to see the town succumb to this sorta thing. It has SO much potential, but more & more it loses it's identity until it almost has none left at all. At this point, Lexington could be "Anytown USA" filled with the typical crap you find in other small suburban cities & you wouldn't know the difference. There's absolutely zero distinction now. Sad.

Old 12-24-2009, 06:46 AM

2,927 posts, read 7,720,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartomanlex View Post

What do you call Hamburg Farms Apartments across the street from HH Gregg? That's a "residential component." Next door to that is West Wind, Hamburg Park Townhomes, Prestwick, The Shetlands and Tuscany. All are a walking distance from Hamburg.

Old 12-24-2009, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
Not to turn this into a "lets all bash Lex" thread, but the city is notoriously bad for this sorta thing. They've REALLY had a horrible track record for planning & development, especially recently. I mean, every city has blunders, but its almost like Lex actively seeks out the worst ideas & goes with them every time.

Their road system is a mess with no means to make it better except widening lanes (which they cant do forever) & they'll never be able to make a proper freeway that goes through/around the city. They have no proper "entertainment district" & all that stuff is spread all over town, which would be fine, except the things like Hamburg are a complete mess. And lets not forget what they've done (and not done) to downtown. It was bad before when they were letting it stagnate, but they even went so far as to DECREASE what was there by leveling a huge chunk of it, all for some pie-in-the-sky dream from a shady developer who turned out to be completely full of crap (and who already had a horrible reputation). I mean, that takes a special kind of stupid.

It makes me wonder if the city planners are just full of incompetent morons, or are they actually TRYING to make the city into more of a mess than what it already is. Because either way, you all lose. And the sad part is I dont think the vast majority of residents care. As long as you throw them some stores here & there, some chain restaurants & their UK sports, everything's cool with them.

Sorry, Im really not trying to bash the town. The only reason I write stuff like this to begin with is because I hate to see the town succumb to this sorta thing. It has SO much potential, but more & more it loses it's identity until it almost has none left at all. At this point, Lexington could be "Anytown USA" filled with the typical crap you find in other small suburban cities & you wouldn't know the difference. There's absolutely zero distinction now. Sad.
Wow, your complaints are ridiculous. First of all the location of Hamburg is perfect. Being directly off 2 interstate exits makes it more convenient for thousands of people from Southern and Eastern KY. Which means more business for Lexington from all the out of towners. Your posts remind me of another person on here who is constantly negative. Are you people just miserable babies that whine all the time??

Old 12-24-2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_Hey View Post

Here's a link to the Levis Commons development outside Toledo.
http://www.mbharch.com/portfolio/planning/development/levisTS.jpg (broken link)
The residential areas are part of the street grid that the retail is on and is an easy 1-2 minute walk from the front of the townhomes/apartments/rowhouses.
I looked up Levis Commons. Interestingly it's exactly like Hamburg. It's on the outskirts of town and next to an interstate. Only difference is that it's smaller than Hamburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area