Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 07:54 AM

969 posts, read 2,819,875 times

Advertisements

Craig Creek probably has good memories of shopping downtown because it was close to his house and he probably ran into his neighbors while he was there. It gave him a sense of community. I do the same thing with Hamburg. I can be anywhere in Hamburg in less than 10 minutes and I always run into neighbors or see other people I know. Like the theme song to the show Diff'rent Strokes, "Well the world don't move to the beat of just one drum. What might be right for you, may not be right for some." I know Hamburg isn't perfect and isn't for everybody. Yeah, it isn't pedestrian friendly, but would you really walk from one end to the other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 11:22 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
Yes, of course I recall encountering friends and neighbors while shopping downtown in the past - but that's not the only reason I think downtown shopping was better for our city in general: most of the stores were locally owned by local families. They lived here, understood Lexington, and were thus able to cater to specific interests, preferences, and needs. Money didn't go to the corporate owners of generic "big box" stores who are based who knows where, but remained here, in the hands of Central Kentuckians.

Architecturally, downtown was certainly superior to any of the shopping centers of today, and it was walkable. Yes, it was a long way down Main Street, and my young feet would get tired when my mother and I would shop, way back when (we took the bus downtown, btw), but there was always a wonderful malt waiting for me in the Phoenix Hotel's basement grill.

Bluegrass Day - who remembers Bluegrass Day?? Twice a year, at the change of the seasons, without advance warning, all of the downtown stores would run big ads in the newspaper and cut their prices to the bone! My mother and her best friend would excitedly scurry downtown and load up on the incredible bargains - think 127 sale, but with new merchandise! Not just clothing, but all sorts of goods were on sale. This tradition continued until my college days - I remember running downtown from UK between classes and finding a wonderful 100% worsted Scottish wool sweater at one of the best stores, for all of $5. I still have it and occasionally wear it (for yard work now, I must admit).

Nothing like it now....For those who are happy with Hamburg, so be it. But I wish we hadn't lost so much that had so much character and history, and was so good for our community.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:33 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,487,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEXpert View Post
Craig Creek probably has good memories of shopping downtown because it was close to his house and he probably ran into his neighbors while he was there. It gave him a sense of community. I do the same thing with Hamburg. I can be anywhere in Hamburg in less than 10 minutes and I always run into neighbors or see other people I know. Like the theme song to the show Diff'rent Strokes, "Well the world don't move to the beat of just one drum. What might be right for you, may not be right for some." I know Hamburg isn't perfect and isn't for everybody. Yeah, it isn't pedestrian friendly, but would you really walk from one end to the other?
You must know a lot of people or have extremely good luck.

Your chances of running into people are greatly reduced if you're going from car to street to store, back to car to street to store & so on, instead of sidewalk (filled with other pedestrians) to store to sidewalk to store & so on.

Im just saying, lets not act like they're equals cause its far far from it. But like you said, whatever floats your boat. But most people dont run into others that way just by the nature of what it is.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:15 AM

969 posts, read 2,819,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post

Im just saying, lets not act like they're equals cause its far far from it. But like you said, whatever floats your boat. But most people dont run into others that way just by the nature of what it is.
My point was just that I have many of the same benefits of living close by and seeing my neighbors in the stores and restaurants that CraigCreek has with living close to downtown. I bet if you lived out here in 40509 you would also run into your neighbors too, just like the people living in, say, Beaumont also run into their neighbors out there.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:43 AM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,494 times
Looooooove. I also think the family that owns it are pretty good people. I've always had good interactions with Patrick Madden, so I wish nothing but the best for them. People who don't know how to drive shouldn't go over there! LOL If you are hesitant, don't know how to handle traffic lights and have no guts, you're making it bad for the rest of us. Haha, just playing ... kinda.

Old 12-23-2009, 05:01 AM

638 posts, read 1,281,995 times
I'm a newcomer here, and where I'm from we have INDOOR malls! Imagine that! Park, go inside and walk around all day!! I don't know any of the details of it's conception, but Hamburg is poorly designed, not user-friendly, and a traffic nightmare! However, it does have all the stores and restaurants anyone could want!! Since I don't live anywhere near it, I love it!!!

Old 12-23-2009, 07:40 AM

18 posts, read 42,036 times
There is still an "indoor" mall, but I think most places are getting away from that totally. It is probably less liability, in all aspects, to let the individual store owners be responsible for most things...especially injuries, loitering, and "unwanted" groups. I like being able to just hop into one store without having to go through the entire mall to get to what I need. If I just want to browse around though, I still love to just walk the mall too. I am glad we have both options!

I like Hamburg, but I do think the parking lots are a bit weird and hard to find your way out of, unless at one of the big stores. It sure beats navigating traffic on Nicholasville Rd. and trying to park at the mall!! Heck, I completely avoid that part of Nicholasville Rd. from November to Feb., because I am getting older and less patient with trafic jams and long lines..lol.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:48 AM

19 posts, read 58,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Very true reflection of Lexington...the people are generally snobbish, surly and, yes, impatient. One of the rudest cities I've ever been to.

I AM soooooooooooo glad I no longer live in that Central Kentucky "Go-Cats-ra-ra-ra-Calipari-ra-ra-ra-Let's-Get-Wasted-at-Keeneland" horse crap. I live very near a real city now...called Cincinnati!

Oh, and as for Hamburg, it's a disgusting excuse of a shopping center. Poor layout, very pedestrian unfriendly, suburban lack-of-character...just very boring. Rookwood Commons and Kenwood Towne Center in Cincinnati are much better!

The first part, I couldn't agree with you more! Not a fan of Lexington myself, that's why I don't live anywhere near it anymore!

As for your living in a "real city," all I can say is HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I needed a good laugh today and you provided that. I'm so thankful I saw this post.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:30 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,487,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PONYPULR View Post
I'm a newcomer here, and where I'm from we have INDOOR malls! Imagine that! Park, go inside and walk around all day!! I don't know any of the details of it's conception, but Hamburg is poorly designed, not user-friendly, and a traffic nightmare! However, it does have all the stores and restaurants anyone could want!! Since I don't live anywhere near it, I love it!!!
Hamburg Pavilion is NOT an "outdoor mall". Its some indoor/outdoor abomination that some other poorly planned suburban-only cities built & Lexington thought would be a good idea too.

These are outdoor malls:

http://www.theshopsatlacantera.com/html/Lacantera/images/nordstrom_large.jpg (broken link)

They're just like indoor malls, except, well, they're outside. Meaning you park somewhere & you have access to the ENTIRE mall then on foot. You're sorta still "contained" & there's stores on both sides of the "street", but its all open-air & you can get out of it at anytime.

The problem with the Hamburg Pavillion approach to the mall is it has none of the benefits of an indoor mall or an outdoor mall. Hamburg is an "outdoor" mall to a certain degree, but you have to drive to each store (unless they happen to be grouped in the same tiny area). So its more of a 1 or 2 stop special destination mall & not a "strolling round, pop in to a store" mall. It sucks as far as "malls" go & really shouldn't be referred to as one. More of a big mass of stores that are separated from each other. Thats why traffic is so bad there & its just a mess to get around in. because of people trying to make it into something its not, hitting 5, 6 or 7 stores in a visit.

Anyways, Lex is far too cold to do a proper outdoor mall anyway, so they really should stick with the indoor setup. It works much better for the area. Those I listed are all in warm climates (as expected) & I've been there myself. Hamburg simply doesnt compare.

Last edited by KerryB; 12-23-2009 at 04:41 PM..

Old 12-23-2009, 05:45 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,571,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PONYPULR View Post
Umm, indoor malls are dying. They are no longer the "thing."

Outdoor centers or Lifestyle centers like Hamburg are popular around the country now.

Fayette Mall is still around in Lexington you know? It's an "indoor mall."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area