U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2008, 08:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,951 times

Advertisements

Sorry for the delay in response...McKee...well your are stepping back in time. Welcome to Mayberry in 2008! People are fantastic...the schools are small, classes are managble, and students get the attention they need...text books are short supply but the liberal superintendent is pure liberal democrat and will spend millions of football fields, building updates, and buses, along with after-school eye-wash activites and not so much on books....big debate here and changes are coming. Don't expect wheels of change to move fast here...it is very slow paced. No public pools or beaches with lifeguards. This is APPALACHIA not CITY...One traffic light in the county -- in front of the courthouse...why? I think because somone thought it would be cute...never figured it out as they don't need it...plenty of fishing, camping, hiking, ATV and horseback trails...I own 3/4 mile of Indian Creek (Middle fork of the Rockcastle River) and can tell you it is rich in fish. Drugs are grown and made here - but where aren't they? Cops have them pretty much shut down before long -- heck of a paid snitch network which is good, but drugs are not rampet use ... you can leave the house unlocked and not worry about being robbed. Land is reasonable .. NO ZONING so you can do about what you want ... don't try to tell your neighbor what to do or how to live ... people will break their back to help you, but are proud, so don't knock them or run down their house if it isn't as nice as you think it should be....these people grew up hard and they worked for what they have regardless if it is a mobile home or what .. besides they might fool you and you might learn a lot of those in the worst dumps have more money than you will see in your lifetime...lol...so it is wise to be everyones friend as they will help you if you really need it and don't try to con them.... It isn't fast times on sunset strip, but life is what you make of it and you might find the freedom (and I MEAN REAL FREEDOM) is far better than some lice-infested-public swiming pool. You have the creeks and most are clean and safe...kids swim off a big rock on my property from all over the county -- no one drowned in 30 years I know of....just make sure they can swim....snakes are a problem in the mountains so watch where you walk in heavy brush and fall when the leaves are on the ground, but few are actually bitten....just use your head and eyes and carry a stick to poke into things you can't see through before you try it...snakes don't like people and will escape if you give them a way out...Great hunting...and people do carry guns here freely so don't be suprised if you see one on someone....not everyone, but enough from time to time....they won't shoot you...lol...but bet there are guns in just about every car/truck. Not the old west...just common sense in the mountains...get stranded and you might need it to signal for help etc...not all guns are for killing...lol...I think once you get over the culture shock of things like the Post office isn't listed in phone book under post offices or US Government...it will be under the town name like Mc Kee Post office...etc....you'll be OK...
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 09:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,941 times
I will graduate from Jackson County High School in a few days and I can honestly say that it has barely prepared me for college. The most rigorous coursework I had was only one class in the 10th grade.That class is no longer offered at the school. I have attended both the middle and high schools. I know that the high school is in a lot of trouble for not meeting state requirements and the middle school did not stack up for what I was prepared for in elementary school. I attended Annville Christian Academy from K-5 and it was pretty advanced then. It now goes all the way through the 8th grade. There is a new Christian school in the county but I don't know that much about it. There is a pool in Annville. It is located next to the gym and the Jackson County Ministries camp area. They do lots of great week long summer camps. We do have DSL and Digital Cable. I hope that this helps you.

Last edited by Calahanras; 05-31-2008 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: left out some info

Old 06-19-2009, 04:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,735 times
Default thank you gimpyolman

Looking for info about town to see if we should move there. Read your response and immediately felt "at home"! Straight forward, honest, humorous, as well as all we needed to know. Can you recommend a real estate agent, or someone we can contact about housing. We need 4 bedrooms. Son-in-law just retired from Army on medical from injuries in Iraq. With him is my daughter, (his wife). I am disabled and live with them, and there is 1 son (14), a daughter(16), and another married daughter of theirs whose husband is also in Army. We want a place like this. So please get in contact with us. Thank you so much....Carol

Old 07-09-2009, 05:30 PM

3 posts, read 8,681 times
I’m 20 years old, and I grew up in McKee Kentucky; I moved when I was 17 to attend college. It is a pleasant town in some regards and treacherous in others. Very religious. Very republican. The only thing that you should not make the mistake of doing is sending your children to the public schools there. There are a handful of good teachers, but for the most part, the school system is a disaster rooted in small town politics. The state department has made continual visits because of poor test scores. And, the surrounding school systems are not much better… Laurel County is your best bet aside from private school. If you’re actually worried about your children’s education, and do not want to send them to boarding school, there is a private school in Richmond, KY called Model Laboratory. 45 minutes from J.C., but it’ll be your kids’ best shot at getting a quality education in the Jackson County region. I was a 4.0 + student at J.C. High, and my first year in college was a continual struggle.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:37 PM

8 posts, read 25,326 times
does anyone know anything about the whistle stop gas and grocery store in McKee?

Old 10-20-2010, 01:21 PM

8 posts, read 25,326 times
does anyone know anything about the whistle stop gas and grocery store in mckee?

Old 03-11-2011, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,023 times
As far as shopping and the like goes, it more or less which half of Jackson County you live in. Pretty much the entire northern half of the county goes to either Berea or Richmond for their shopping, while the southern half of the county usually goes to either London or Manchester.

As for the city of McKee itself, supposedly it's now rated as the poorest city per capita in all of Kentucky in terms of people living within the city limits. Most of their population in the city (about 700 -800 people live in the McKee city limits) is located in Jackson Manor Apartments, a high-rise mainly of the elderly on fixed incomes.

Regarding an earlier post, Jackson County does indeed have some beautiful scenery, especially in the northern part of the county around the Sand Gap area along US 421, and in the southern half of the county. Some nice looking farmland in that part.

Of all the places to stick a town in Jackson County, they no doubt placed McKee in the worst spot possible. The area around Annville could easily support a decent sized city, as there's lots of rather flat or rolling ground in that area. The main problem with that happening though, is that no one wants to sell any of their land, and that's true of pretty much the entire county. McKee's city limits is entirely surrounded by either state or federal land too, which is why they can't expand it any further than it currently is. I'm betting that the only reason McKee is in its location is because it being the dead center of the county on a map.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:28 PM

60 posts, read 69,362 times
I don't know if this is a breach of etiquette, but does anyone know this farm and why it is for sale? Do you know the neighbors? Is this a quiet area?

Thank you!

1-B Highway 89 N, Mc Kee, KY 40447 MLS# 43568 - Zillow

Old 09-13-2012, 09:22 PM

4 posts, read 5,048 times
I turn seventy this year, so my time as a student in McKee was long ago in the fifties (my father was the "county agent"), but I remember McKee well, and I wanted to add that the remarks by the person who found that she was unprepared for college made me sad. But I understand. We moved to Colorado when I was in the sixth grade, and all of a sudden I was in a good school with art and music classes, and I was the butt of a thousand jokes. I didn't realize for a long, long time how poorly prepared Kentucky schools had made me for the rest of the world. Of course, Kentuckians will get defensive about this quicker than you can say 'fried chicken," but their best response would be to do something about it. However, there is no easy or quick answer. Employment and money are hard to come by, and those who want more will leave the area, and so you will naturally see a cycle that is self-perpetuating. I have gone back and worked in flood relief and education a few times, but each time I was regarded with suspicion because I had a good education, and in general didn't "fit in," even though I was law-abiding citizen. I saw "missionaries" time and again come into the hills thinking they would turn things around, but then they would often leave within months. So, we have some deeply entrenched poverty and ignorance here, and it is too bad, since the country itself is indeed beautiful. I miss those woods and creeks, but I couldn't go back for a day, much less to settle down.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:28 AM

627 posts, read 1,092,909 times
I don't know anything about the area or farm, B-Keep, but that kitchen looks pretty neat!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area