U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 02:20 PM

39 posts, read 111,589 times

Advertisements

I personally prefer the Annville area in Jackson County. It is closer to shopping in London, and the new highway 30 is a straight flat shot to London, making it an easier drive. I would recommend that area, or possibly the Sand Gap area, only because it would be an easier drive to Berea/Richmond.

The person who said Mckee is in the worst spot is right-it's right in the middle of the county, and to do serious shopping you will have to drive to Berea or London occasionally. I try to support local businesses as much as possible, but some times I need a big box store.

There is a public pool in Annville at the Annville Institute. If you like to drink, Clay county is now wet, which is closer than Richmond for some people in Jackson county.

The people here are wonderful. Very proud, and may appear standoffish at first, but will come around once you stick around and treat others with respect. We may be poor, but you won't find a lot of crime here. At least not random, non drug related crime. If your people are respectable, it is unlikely you will ever be near crime. Family is extremely important here, as it provides most of your social network, except maybe church.

As for the schools, I firmly believe education is what you make of it. There is a big push here with the Promise Neighborhood Initiative and Gear Up, especially for the middle school grades. Money has come in for arts, camps and such. I am pleased with the changes I see.

I think the internet is making a big change here. Things still change slowly, and this place is still like Mayberry as someone already said, but change is coming.

A few other things- property taxes are low, and there is a dental clinic that allows you to pay on a sliding fee scale. You have to be a resident of Jackson County to use their services. I have been there myself and am happy with the place. Also, never ever ever talk bad about someone here, you never know who they may be related to.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 08:54 AM

4 posts, read 5,050 times
This rant about the "liberal superintendent/Democrat" is irritating, and goes to the heart of a great deal of the problem of entrenched ignorance (as demonstrated by the ranter's inability to spell and use decent grammar). When I was a kid in eastern Kentucky, if you had any new ideas you were called either a Yankee or a communist. Today you are called a liberal or Democrat. The words have changed but the attitudes remain the same: "we don't want none of them new-fangled ideas about education." And they wonder why they are so poor? If you want to increase the economy of an area, attracting businesses is important, and that means having an educated workforce. But go in there as an educator and you find yourself shunned and suspected of anything anyone can imagine. I've seen this for six decades (I still have family there) and I can see no hope. The more ignorant a resident is, the more arrogant and suspicious in many cases, so there is no obvious way to break this. I made "my fortune," so to speak, on the West Coast and could go back to Kentucky and start one or more businesses, but it would be a folly to try to deal with people who treat outsiders as aliens. So, they screw themselves with their attitudes, and reap what they sow.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:20 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,796,465 times
Ignorant=arrogant?

Old 05-07-2013, 09:56 AM

5,244 posts, read 14,417,690 times
Dredged from the depths...............

We're looking at a little piece of land in McKee and thinking of putting a small cabin on it for now and building 'our home' later on when we can. I love what I've read so far and sounds like exactly what we want. Our kids are all grown and have kids of their own, so the schools aren't an issue. Hubby and I are both retired, so work isn't an issue. We're both retired law enforcement, so I love a town that is full of people that carry their own sidearm. I love friendly neighbors and the independent spirit of people willing to work hard and take care of themselves. It sounds a lot like where we are in TN right now and we've been very happy with most things here. We do want to move further north to a place that's somewhat cooler than the triple digits and high humidity every summer though. Can anyone give me an idea of the summers there? Our summers here run about 6 weeks of 100+ degree temps with that humidity that kills. Any other info anyone can provide? Has anything changed since these posts?

Thanks for anything you can provide!

Old 05-07-2013, 10:15 AM

10,955 posts, read 9,032,185 times
Humidity, yes, there are creeks in every hollow/er. But you are unlikely to experience six weeks of 100+ temps every summer, and the elevation and woods help keep things cool. Typical summer highs are in the 90s in late July and August (and sometimes early September). It's not unheard-of to hit 100 for a few days, but six weeks of 100 degree highs would be very exceptional.

Jackson County is beautiful, very rural, mountainous, heavily wooded, and lightly populated. The poverty rate is fairly high, with unemployment to match, sadly. It's too bad that the area has not been promoted as a vacation destination, given the beauty of the rugged mountains, caves, waterfalls, spring wildflowers, fall color, etc., and the proximity to Lexington. In many ways, Jackson County would be an ideal place for weekend cabins. I do know of one B and B which emphasizes these natural attractions and caters to guests who appreciate them, but so far, the rest of Jackson County is fallow ground for this kind of light-impact tourism.

It takes a while to reach larger communities, so if proximity to a hospital and more advanced health care is a concern, that needs to be taken into account. The nearest hospital is in Berea, which is a small town itself, but with many more amenities than McKee. Next up the road is the larger Richmond, and then Lexington, the closest large town/smaller city with advanced health care and major hospitals, which is about 90 minutes away from McKee by road. As noted, London is down the road, south of Jackson County.

Best advice would be to come visit Jackson County for about a week, talk to the locals, and get a feel for what life is like there.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:28 PM

39 posts, read 111,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Dredged from the depths...............
Can anyone give me an idea of the summers there? Our summers here run about 6 weeks of 100+ degree temps with that humidity that kills. Any other info anyone can provide? Has anything changed since these posts?

Thanks for anything you can provide!
Things change very slowly around here, lol, so no, we are still the same!

Last summer was crazy hot and dry, but it was abnormal. I've been in the area for about 5 years, and summers are cooler than what you describe above.

If you are happy in Tennessee, I bet you could be even happier here.

How much land are you looking for? Shoot me a pm if you want, I have a friend with a house for sale on a little bit of land. It's not listed with any realtor, so you wouldn't know about it unless you were local.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area