Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2019, 02:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,714 times

Advertisements

I have a question about the Fayette school district. We are moving from Louisville KY to just outside Lexington Ky, to a farm called Bryan Station Farm. The elementary school assigned to that area (Deep Springs Elementary) has an extremely low rating. My son is 9 and in 3Rd grade with an IEP for ADHD and SPD. And honestly, a school with that low of a rating will not be able to provide him the help he needs. The other reason being is We will be driving in to Nicholasville for our jobs everyday. I would like for him to attend one of the better schools in town where I work like Clays Mill Elementary, Liberty, or Rosa Parks. Does the school district approve out of area requests like this for that reason? We will be spending most of our time in Nicholasville/Lexington because of work. I don't want to secure this home at Bryan Station Farm without knowing for sure.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 02:55 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,694,554 times
Im not from Kentucky. I’m considering moving there. But, why don’t you purchase a home in the school zone of clay mill elementary?

Good luck ��

Old 03-02-2019, 05:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,714 times
We are not ready to purchase so will rent, and want something away from a subdivision.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:00 AM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinz5774 View Post
I have a question about the Fayette school district. We are moving from Louisville KY to just outside Lexington Ky, to a farm called Bryan Station Farm. The elementary school assigned to that area (Deep Springs Elementary) has an extremely low rating. My son is 9 and in 3Rd grade with an IEP for ADHD and SPD. And honestly, a school with that low of a rating will not be able to provide him the help he needs. The other reason being is We will be driving in to Nicholasville for our jobs everyday. I would like for him to attend one of the better schools in town where I work like Clays Mill Elementary, Liberty, or Rosa Parks. Does the school district approve out of area requests like this for that reason? We will be spending most of our time in Nicholasville/Lexington because of work. I don't want to secure this home at Bryan Station Farm without knowing for sure.
Thanks!
Yes and no. Everyone would like their children to go to those schools, especially Rosa Parks. There are waiting lists for at least two of those schools of students considered to have a legitimate reason to attend one of those specific schools and I would be shocked if you could manage to bypass those lists. You might have better luck with middle performing school, where people are not trying by any means possible, including lying and, no kidding, offering bribes, to get their child in. But even that might not work in your case since you won’t even be able to use to excuse that you work nearby, which means they will know you are merely looking for a way to avoid Deep Springs because you think it’s a crappy school, and the administrator who gets to decide whether or not your child can attend a non-assigned school knows it is not. Deep Springs is actually a good school, has as good or better of a special education department as any other school you are looking at, but serves a low-income, high-risk needy population and it’s scores accurately reflect that. However....

Your working in another county (Nicholasville is in Jessamine County) does give you a different option that is more doable. In Kentucky most nearby districts in an area have an official agreement that allows a certain number of students to attend each other’s schools free of charge. You will need to contact the Jessamine County Schools Director of Pupil Personnel to ask their policy, last I heard Fayette County and Jessamine County had such an agreement. I would not suggest saying you want to go there to avoid a crappy school (see above) but instead tell them since you will both be working in Nicholasville that you are uncomfortable with your child attending a school so far away, that it will make for longer days in before/afterschool care than you’d like, and overall feel it will be better for your child’s wellbeing and education to attend one of their schools. Some districts also have a tuition option.

Naturally, since you haven’t committed to living there yet, my recommendation is also that you’d be better off getting a home in the district of the school you want your child to attend. Housing prices, whether for purchase or rental, reflect the quality of the schools serving the area for a reason.

FCPS: Out-of-Area School Enrollment

Old 03-03-2019, 08:08 AM

14,762 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinz5774 View Post
Thanks!

Hi! Welcome to Lexington forums here at City Data!This is a really nice area of the state to raise a family.
I am from Louisville also, but moved to Lexington over 30 years ago.

My son is grown now, but also had an IEP for ADHD...and the public schools in Lexington did an excellent job.
My Son had an impressive SAT score when he graduated from High School (was IT student of the year)and was accepted into University of Kentucky's College of Engineering. (His schools were Stonewall, Jessie Clark and Lafayette/Eastside Technical)

I am not sure about the transfer request, because those were all neighborhood schools, but I can understand your wanting to get a quality education for your Son.

You may want to contact Andria Jackson (859) 381-4122
https://www.fcps.net/outofarea

Old 03-03-2019, 08:14 AM

14,762 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Oops just noticed Oldhag1 posted before me, while I was typing my reply.
She answered your question far better than I would be able to.

Quote:
Naturally, since you haven’t committed to living there yet, my recommendation is also that you’d be better off getting a home in the district of the school you want your child to attend. Housing prices, whether for purchase or rental, reflect the quality of the schools serving the area for a reason.

And I would have to say I think I would go with that if I were you.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:43 AM

5 posts, read 4,021 times
I would suggest looking for a home in the school district that you hope your child will be able to attend. I grew up in Lexington, and went to Clays Mill, my grandchildren were/are students there now and their ratings are well deserved. Most people look for property on the south side of town for several reasons, established neighborhoods, schools, and most of the hospitals and shopping seem to be on the south side. You can always look for homes in the surrounding counties too, since property is a little less expensive and many of their school systems are excellent.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:18 AM

53 posts, read 94,512 times
My kids are older now, but school was a number one priority. Live were your children get the best education and take a very active role in the school and education. Everything else is secondary in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area