Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2019, 11:59 PM

46 posts, read 76,071 times

Advertisements

Hi,

First, I really want to say thanks so much to all of you who were so helpful to me, as I was searching for info on Lexington, particularly Crazee Cat Lady, and Craig Creek. I just got back from Lexington. What a pretty city !!!! I loved all the greenery, I also visited a couple of neighboring cities, but decided that I am not really a small city girl!!

I can’t lie, the humidity took me a bit by surprise, and, ooohhhh my, what it did to my hair…..I ended up lookin like I left my broom at home, ……..not a pretty sight.!!

The folks I met were friendly and unpretentious, both of which were very appealing to me.
It seems as if I might be able to navigate the traffic there just fine.[from my mouth to God’s ear}

On my last day there, I put a contract on a great place, only to have someone else over bid me, so I came back to CO with no house. But the good news was, with the low interest rate my lender offered, I can now get more house for my $, so that was a really nice surprise. !!! I might come back next month to try looking again, if I can’t do something through a virtual tour through my Realtor. Not sure if that is even a feasible option, given the speed at which your market moves.

I am dumbfounded over how houses go under contract there, so many on the very first day, some even before they are listed. One morning we were suppose to go tour 2 houses, the Realtor's canceled our appointments, one home had 11 [ yep, you read that right] offers, the other had 5, the next day, another canceled appt, that seller also got 11 offers………………..what the heck?????
I have lived in a lot of cities, and more than several states, and I have NEVER seen a housing market like that. KY Realtors must be beyond elated by this years market.!!!!

I am very excited about moving there to Lexington, and I’m hoping it will be sooner rather than later!
Again, thank- you for such great help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 09:34 AM

577 posts, read 493,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonegirl49 View Post
Hi,

I am dumbfounded over how houses go under contract there, so many on the very first day, some even before they are listed. One morning we were suppose to go tour 2 houses, the Realtor's canceled our appointments, one home had 11 [ yep, you read that right] offers, the other had 5, the next day, another canceled appt, that seller also got 11 offers………………..what the heck?????
I have lived in a lot of cities, and more than several states, and I have NEVER seen a housing market like that. KY Realtors must be beyond elated by this years market.!!!!

I am very excited about moving there to Lexington, and I’m hoping it will be sooner rather than later!
Again, thank- you for such great help!!
The blue text is exactly what happened when I retired in 2015. We wanted to sell our home and downsize to a one level with no stairs. So knowing my retirement date, I started looking for our "last" home on the internet realtor sites to fit our criteria. Every evening when I got home from work after dinner I would get on the computer and look for homes. My searches went out in to the surrounding THREE counties from Lexington !

Finally after a month and half of not having any luck finding us a "move in" ready house that fit our needs and that did not need a lot of work done to it, we contracted with a realtor. But I still kept on doing my own searches on line after I got home. At 6:00 pm every evening I would check on line and find no house for us. But I would often check again at 10:00 to 11:00 pm one last time, before going to bed.

Bam ! I would find a brand new listing that suited us, but with it being late I would wait and call my REA at 9:10 am the following morning when he opened his office. He would then tell me the house had a offer/contract on it. WHUUTT ? It got a offer/contract on it during the 11 non -business hours when most people are sleeping ?? WTH ?

So here is my OPINION, as to why I believe back in 2015 and even today that is contributing to our lack of existing homes for sale in and around Lexington =a very competitive markets. And a opinion of mine, that many realtors will not appreciate. But the following is only way I can make any sense of how these houses are getting offers/contracts on them, in the middle of the night outside of normal business hours.

I believe some realtors when getting the new listing are calling ( or texting/emailing) their investor contacts and then gives them the info on the new listing they just received. One they know they may be interested in buying. (we see this happen on the "flipper" shows on TV today ) The investor looks at the info for the property on their phone or email and then replies back to the realtor, " I want it".

The newly listed house (if it even gets listed) is then sold without ever being shown. And even at worse, if the investor does go see the property asap and does not like it, they just withdraw their purchase offer and the listing gets its "pending" label removed from it on the website.

The seller does not know this is going on, as their property just got sold, as their REA did what they hired them to do. They sold their home for them. Who cares how fast it was sold right ? ....

But IF this is why there are so many "pending's" being put on homes so fast, it is just flat out unethical IMO. Because the seller is not getting the opportunity to even get higher offers. So they take this "great, my REA just sold our home in 11 hours " offer.

Plus IMO, if and when this happens, the home searchers out here are getting screwed out of the opportunity to even to get to see or make offers, on these quickly SOLD homes.

We have a lot of foreign investors now that are buying up properties here in the USA. And the land, houses, taxes and utilities here in KY are CHEAP, compared to those North of us and many other states. So many people from up North and the other expensive states are retiring and selling their high priced properties. Then, they are bringing their cash to KY and buying a lot of land and house for what to them, is CHEAP.

I was born and raised in KY and at 67 years of age now, my wife and I have bought and sold five homes now over the passed 25 years. Homes IMO, will not normally get shown and receive offer's on them overnight while people are normally in bed sleeping.

And the link below shows what I am posting about here. And these abundance of "pendings" on houses for sale, have been going on now DAILY since 2015. IMO, there are just NOT this many people in KY that qualify, nor have the funds in hand, to buy this many homes.

And especially some of them being sold overnight. But no one seems to care about these super fast offers/contracts, as the money is flowing freely now in the real estate markets = making a lot of people happy.. Hope this helps OP on the blue text above, and all just my opinion.

https://www.lbar.com/search?&categor...&primary=40502

Old 06-14-2019, 03:28 PM

14,767 posts, read 8,097,050 times
I am glad that you enjoyed your visit. Sorry about the house not going through.
The humidity right now is killing me! My allergies and asthma is through the roof right now.
The weather guy was saying if you have asthma or allergies right now you are suffering because of the high pollen index.

Old 06-14-2019, 05:07 PM

Hi Greg,
I really appreciate all the time and effort your reply showed, thanks !!
While I am not generally one that believes in conspiracy theories, I hafta say, some of what you wrote could certainly
answer the, "what the heck" thought I had after being in Lexington. Seeing the breakneck speed in which the houses there
went pending, still confounds me. The link you included looked exactly like what one sees while the various houses listed on the Realtor sites, go Listed/& then Gone in a day or less.
Yep, from what I have seen, it is fair to say, a lot of KY realtors go home at night with a smile on their face, & doin the"Happy Dance" as they enter their homes............

Old 06-14-2019, 05:23 PM

Hi Crazee Cat Lady,
Yep, my sinus' started acting up the minute I got off the plane , so I can relate to what you said.. I was just glad I packed some sinus stuff!!!! For your sake, hopefully there will be a break in the pollen, AND the
humidity.
It was difficult to really know if the humidity there was worse then I ever experienced in KS. [ and they have high humidity there, believe me] or whether it just seemed worse, because I have been living in such a dry climate for the past 13 yrs. I guess time will tell about that.
As, I said, I am beyond anxious to get there and get settled.

Old 06-15-2019, 10:25 AM

577 posts, read 493,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonegirl49 View Post
Hi Crazee Cat Lady,
Yep, my sinus' started acting up the minute I got off the plane , so I can relate to what you said.. I was just glad I packed some sinus stuff!!!! For your sake, hopefully there will be a break in the pollen, AND the
humidity.
It was difficult to really know if the humidity there was worse then I ever experienced in KS. [ and they have high humidity there, believe me] or whether it just seemed worse, because I have been living in such a dry climate for the past 13 yrs. I guess time will tell about that.
As, I said, I am beyond anxious to get there and get settled.

Yes, RH% and air borne tree/vegetation allergens are issues for both COPD and asthma sufferers here in KY. My wife has COPD/emphysema, so she suffers a lot from the ups and downs of our weather here.

The link shows the RH averages for Louisville recorded in 2018 it appears. Lexington's will not vary too much from Louisville's IMO...

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 06-17-2019 at 01:27 AM..

Old 06-15-2019, 11:12 AM

Hi Greg,
Thanks for the link!! Well, it's a pretty safe bet that I won't be leaving home there anytime in the AM if I can help it! [actually I rarely do anyway, no matter where I'm living]
The link showed KY with worse humidity than KS..........what????? OH NOOOOOOO !!!!! Actually there wasn't THAT much difference between the two, but still, high humidity is high humidity
Your poor wife, I can't imagine having COPD and Emphysema, and living in an area with high humidity,ohmygosh, not an easy thing to do.😢
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
View detailed profiles of: