U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 12:29 PM

891 posts, read 2,804,232 times

Advertisements

Raven Run is on the outskirts of Lex; about a 10 minute drive from downtown.
RAVEN RUN NATURE SANCTUARY -- Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government -- Parks
It has great family friendly hiking paths. Our favorite is the one that ends at a bluff overlooking the Ky. River.
For an overnight outing we love Koomer Ridge at the Red River Gorge. It is only an hour from Lexington. There are lots of great hiking paths in the Gorge. Koomer Ridge has camp sites that each have a pad for the tent, a picnic table and a fire pit. (also has restrooms which is a huge plus in my book)!
Red River Gorge Geological Area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 12:33 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,720,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post

There is a Wild Oats on Nicholasville Road, and there is a GREAT locally owned natural foods store on Southland Drive called Good Foods Co-Op. The grocery stores are mostly Kroger and Meijer, although there is a really nice little store called Fresh Market on Tates Creek Road right inside New Circle.
Wild Oats is now Whole Foods.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:28 PM

30 posts, read 134,653 times
Those are all great websites! The CKYO is a bit expensive but sounds like a good organization. I loved the Raven Run area, so much to do so close. They have so much new information to check out,thank you.

Oh, and the Wild Oats is now Whole Foods Market, do you like it better than before or is it the same?

Old 04-23-2008, 05:49 PM

1,714 posts, read 5,545,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayberrybound View Post
Do the schools have an orchestra program? We have a great one here. Students get three classes a week (they may have to travel to other schools for some of them). The cost is only $80 for the year. Then you rent an instument and even if you can't afford that, they have many available to loan through the school.

Jacobson Park sound like a good size lake for town. Just enough to get out and have some fun. Are there any little rivers or ponds around, a little more on the wild side? Somewhere you can go hiking. Or any camping/cabins in the area for an easy get away.
Orchestra: Yes, both public and private schools have VERY good orchestra programs. I am not sure about the cost, but have heard MANY good things about every orchestra teacher, and have many good things to say about the ones I have met and worked with. You can PM me if you want to know more. We have many years' experience with violin, cello, orchestra, Suzuki, traditional, school programs, CKYO, instrument rentals, repairs, purchases, you name it.

Rivers? The Kentucky River is beautiful, down in the Palisades area. Go out Harrodsburg Road until you get to the river. Find a place to park your car and just ... soak it in ... it is so beautiful. There are hiking trails but I am not sure where they are. The method described above has always been good enough for me.

Cumberland Falls is good for water, river, hiking trails sort of fun. They have some guided white-water rafting groups, and those always look fun.

In Fayette County, the Raven Run Nature Preserve is always worth an afternoon's hiking fun.

If you go about an hour to the east on I-64 and the Mountain Parkway, you will come to a lovely place called the Red River Gorge, where the river has carved beautiful stone arches. There are many, many lovely hiking trails throughout that whole region. Do NOT leave valuables in your car.

Enjoy!!

Old 04-23-2008, 10:44 PM

All the orchestra info sounds good. I will write later if I need more detailed info. Sorry, I don't know what "PM" is or how to do it.

It sounds so wonderful to have all that water around. We have been in a drought here for years now (NM). Half the state is on fire from now til Aug. and the thought of going down to a nice river and plunking myself in it sounds too good to be true. It's the simple pleasures in life right?

Well you all have been such a great source for information, you should get together and make a Lexington reloction guide and call it "The things people really want to know".

Here's one I couldn't find information on, gardens. Are there any flower gardens in town, or areas where people seem to be more into gardening. Or neighborhood gardens,be it flowers or food.
All that water, seems a waste not to enjoy what it can do. Thanks again!

Old 04-24-2008, 05:06 AM

Welcome to The Arboretum, State Botanical Garden of Kentucky
The Arboretum is a treasure!
There are some community gardens around too. I have noticed some driving around but can't think of where they are right off.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:14 PM

688 posts, read 2,810,473 times
This was recently in the Herald Leader: Need to dig, but have no soil to turn? - they said that there are 8 community gardens in the area.

Quote:
There are two new gardens this year: Southland Community Garden in Hill 'n' Dale Park, off Southview and Fairview drives, near Southland Drive, and the London Ferrill Community Garden, next to the central fire station at 219 East Third Street.

The Southland garden has assigned plots. For more information contact Mason Colby at mason.colby@gmail.com.

The London Ferrill garden will have 20 assigned plots and open plots. Sherry Maddock said the open plots will be tended by volunteers, with the harvest going to older people in the community and to other organizations.

The Rock/La Roca United Methodist Church community garden sits behind Arlington Elementary School on North Limestone Street. Church members and neighbors got together with that one last year, planting tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and beans. Call the Rev. Aaron Mansfield at (859) 255-0712 for information.

The Nelson Avenue Art Garden, 318 Nelson Avenue, off East Third Street and Midland Avenue, began a year ago as a project for young people in the Youth Green Corps. The garden contains a variety of different flowers, herbs, and vegetables in addition to various art projects and a horseshoe pit in the back.

Mundy said volunteers meet there every Saturday about 10 a.m.

The Winburn Community Art Garden, 1169 Winburn Drive, and the West End Community Empowerment Project garden, located at the Black and Williams Center, 498 Georgetown Street, are open to the public. They feature ornamental plants and vegetables.

At Winburn, planting and tilling is ongoing on Saturdays in April and May from 1 to 3 p.m
Also, check out here: Lexington Community Gardens

Old 04-24-2008, 04:49 PM

Wow, I love the fact that there are so many community gardens. That says a lot about a town. I am very impressed with all I have heard. Lexington seems like a real town. Not just a series of chainstores and cookie cutter houses (though I'm sure they are still around there). We are waiting to find out about a possible transfer out your way, and at this point I think I will be very disappointed if we don't get it.

Here is one for all of you. What do you like best about Lexington? And what do your kids (or if your a kid) like best?

Old 04-25-2008, 08:29 AM

My favorite thing is downtown. The best restaurants, Gallery Hop, Farmer's Market, 4th of July celebration, patriotic concert on July 3rd at Transylvania University. UK basketball, baseball and football, active church that gives a lot back to the community. Easy access to hiking, camping.
Our 10 year old son's favorite things would include the above plus flashlight tag, tire swing on Slashes Park, skateboard park, Jacobson Park, The Signature Club pool, biking, laser tag at Champs.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:18 AM

Dear timelesschild, lexingtongal, bluegrassgirl, InLondon, teebird1012, nlschro, cynthia007, charz, crmac and MichGirl,

Thank you all for taking the time to provide such wonderful information. There is so much you can learn about an area if you speak to the people who actually live there. I enjoyed it all and think my family would enjoy living in Lexington.

Now it is in Gods Hands. So..., if lexington is where He wants us, we will be seeing you in town, having pizza at Pazzo's or on our way to St. Peters downtown. We'll be hiking at Ravens Run and of course enjoying the blugrass in back of the bowling alley that is right in the neighborhood. And of course going to the local sports games and horse shows while enjoying the friendly people who want to keep a good way of life going on for their families. What more could ya want from a town!!!! See ya'll later. Mayberrybound
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area