U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 01:42 PM

2,111 posts, read 2,198,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayberrybound View Post
Dear timelesschild, lexingtongal, bluegrassgirl, InLondon, teebird1012, nlschro, cynthia007, charz, crmac and MichGirl,

Thank you all for taking the time to provide such wonderful information. There is so much you can learn about an area if you speak to the people who actually live there. I enjoyed it all and think my family would enjoy living in Lexington.

Now it is in Gods Hands. So..., if lexington is where He wants us, we will be seeing you in town, having pizza at Pazzo's or on our way to St. Peters downtown. We'll be hiking at Ravens Run and of course enjoying the blugrass in back of the bowling alley that is right in the neighborhood. And of course going to the local sports games and horse shows while enjoying the friendly people who want to keep a good way of life going on for their families. What more could ya want from a town!!!! See ya'll later. Mayberrybound
I know it has been a few years since this all was written but I am curious if any are still on the forum and have comments on whether the previous posted info is still accurate and applicable. I am looking at relocating from outside Madison, WI for a career change there and appreciated all the information posted here.

Did Mayberrybound ever relocate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 07:48 PM

891 posts, read 2,803,333 times
Yes. I enjoyed rereading this thread. I would say all is accurate and that there are even more things going on in town now than a few years ago. There are many new restaurants and bars downtown. Farmers Market has a nice covered pavilion, Thursday Night Live is in the same Pavilion and runs through the summer offering different bands each week along with food and drinks.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:05 PM

2,111 posts, read 2,198,050 times
Default Best Places to Live

As mentioned i am looking at relocating to Lexington area. Job offer is in hand and I am now looking at housing. We will require at least 4 bdr and have children from teens down to 18 months. Employment is at Beaumont Centre Ln off Man-O-War and prefer not to commute too far. Home price desired is probably 4150k range - maybe a little more.

Kids in swimming and gymnastics - looking for input on schools and gyms as was the origin of the thread.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:06 PM

10,928 posts, read 9,006,009 times
There are many recently built larger brick houses in the Beaumont area that are in your price range, along with a newish YMCA with a gym and indoor pool. There's also the Beaumont Branch Library. Nearby public schools include Paul Laurence Dunbar High School, which focuses on the sciences (but offers other academic tracks as well).

Looks as if Beaumont may be the place for you!

Old 08-20-2012, 11:13 AM

8,195 posts, read 4,500,754 times
Yes, Beaumont is a great neighborhood and part of town,(I work right up the street)
and so is the Palomar/ Stonewall/Rabbit Run neighborhoods right up the street.
Southland is a nice area also.

The first lady was asking about groceries/pizza and bakeries.
We now have a Trader Joe's also, and Joe Bologna has some great pizza...Great Harvest is a wonderful bakery.
But actually, it looks like that was several years ago...I wonder if they were able to relocate here?

Old 04-03-2013, 04:24 PM

6 posts, read 13,590 times
Default Hopefully moving to Lexington as well :-)

I read all of the above comments as well and am praying my husband will consider moving to the Lexington area as well. We started in IL, and he had a job transfer to FT Wayne Indiana area, and still commutes back and forth on the weekends between IN and Illinois :-(
Before we settle in there I have been scouting where he can be moved permanently and Lexington seems 100% better than Indiana..
We have a little girl and I have been looking into the Montessori schools, Sayre school, and the other private school, LMS? Although that looks like it's only up to 8th grade.
We have a few horses, dogs, cats and a grandma to bring along... so a few acres, fencing and a barn or two would fit us all nicely :-)
Anyone know how to convince a husband?
I have friends in Irvine and we have visited twice and it's very nice even "east" of 75..
I think people in KY are more laid back and friendlier than in FT Wayne...
The weather is warmer, and it's so beautiful!!

Any feedback on the schools? I know they are pricey, but our little girl is the center of our universe ;-)

Thank you for any insights!!

Old 04-03-2013, 05:52 PM

Acreage in Lexington-Fayette County may be a bit difficult, as we have the 40-acre rule to help preserve the fragile Bluegrass countryside, but you might find something smaller grandfathered in. Otherwise, I'd suggest looking at the counties surrounding Fayette County, where land is still beautiful, but often less costly and available in smaller plots.

Many of Lexington's public schools as just as good as the private schools you listed, all of which are also quite good. Sayre is located in downtown Lexington, which could lead to quite a commute if you find a place in the country (closest countryside would be out Russell Cave Road or Paris Pike - both are lined with large thoroughbred horse farms and few smaller properties. Bryan Station Road might be another area to look, but again, these big farms are rarely subdivided and in fact, cannot be divided at present, due to protective legislation). There are a few smaller tracts here and there in this beautiful area, but finding one for sale might be difficult.

However, if you go south or west of Lexington/Fayette County, you might find what you are seeking for your animals more easily and at a far more reasonable cost, and there are always carpools into the Lexington schools if there are other commuting kids nearby.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:00 PM

688 posts, read 2,809,769 times
I would also say that there are areas of Scott County that are a fairly easy commute into downtown Lexington due to the interstate access and Newtown Pike. I used to commute to downtown Lexington from the Georgetown area with less travel time than some of my friends that had to drive from downtown to Man O War.

I'm also curious about some of the private and Montessori schools. I have heard good things about Providence and Lexington Montessori but have heard that Community Montessori is struggling. Lexington Montessori is attempting to grow their program through 12th grade.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:37 AM

6 posts, read 13,590 times
Thanks Guys! Looking into the above info... A few years back there was massive flooding in KY, although I don't recall where, just remember it was horrendous for people and horses... Any places that are hazardous or a flood zone that I should keep in mind?
Any websites to do more research about flooding or call the county?
Do areas flood, (have they flooded) that were not in a flood zone?

Old 04-04-2013, 10:59 AM

There is not a major waterway in the city of Lexington - the Kentucky River borders part of Fayette County, but it's at the bottom of a deep gorge, bounded by high cliffs (the Kentucky River Palisades), so only the river bottoms flood when it lets go. Eastern Kentucky has experienced many terrible floods over the years, exacerbated by destructive mining techniques, and Louisville has also had a number of very significant floods - the 1937 flood is legendary. Flooding on the Kentucky River does not affect the city of Lexington itself.

However - Lexington's storm sewers are a mess that is gradually being corrected, and many parts of town, including mine, have habitually experienced flooded basements over the years. The EPA got on our case, and the storm sewers are gradually being updated. But those with basements in areas known to flood are rightfully cautioned not to finish those basements, not to lay carpet on basement floors, and not to store anything in the basement which cannot be quickly grabbed in the event of flooding. Many residents who have such basements have portable or built-in sump pumps to use during flooding - they do not eliminate the problem but can minimize it. Such flooding can occur anytime, of course, but is most common in the spring and late fall, when heavy rains are more likely.

Lexington and the surrounding Bluegrass lie at the peak of the Cincinnati Dome (aka the Cincinnati Arch), a geographic formation which is a rolling limestone plateau of around 800-1,000 feet elevation, dropping off on all sides. The springs feed the waterways which then run off down the dome, eventually to the Kentucky River. So while there may be localized flooding in the Central Kentucky Bluegrass, it does not compare to the flooding in the mountains or along major rivers outside the Bluegrass.

Limestone is the predominant rock around here and this is karst topography, with springs, sinkholes, caves, faults (plus a lot of interesting fossils). Our sinkholes don't collapse like the ones in Florida - very often, that is, and I've never heard of a house being impacted (cars did fall into a sinkhole in a Bowling Green highway a few years ago, however) - but they are there. Because of the porous nature of the limestone, our water can become easily polluted, something not always recognized in the past, when sinkholes were used as convenient places to dump all kinds of unwanted items.

As for other flooding in the Bluegrass, Stoner Creek in Paris (Bourbon County) is known to rise quickly, and there's a mobile home park in Jessamine County out Tates Creek Road along Hickman Creek which floods regularly. The Licking River, in the east and northern parts of the Outer Bluegrass, is also known to flood. But there are watches and warnings, and notices are hard to avoid during such times.

So - make sure any structures housing people or animals or crops are located on high ground, stockpile food and supplies if your house is likely to be stranded for a few days, move cars and trucks to high ground during warnings, and settle in. Common sense and good information go a long ways towards preserving life and safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area